What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alternative to iTunes for Jailbroken iPad, that DOESN't deal with syncing.

MichelleD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys. Although I love my new iPad, there's one thing that really bugs me. I don't like that I have to 'sync' files in order to just copy things onto my pad. I like it far better when I plug whatever it is in it's recognized as an 'external media device' and I'm able to drag and drop files into the device via Windows explorer. (I'm on a PC not a Mac).

I don't need 16GB of iPad files sitting on my already small and cramped hdd. I just want them on my iPad, not littering my PC as well. I want to be able to just 'add' files to my iPad without having to 'sync' it and screw around with stuff getting deleted off of it on accident. :mad:

I've jailbroken my iPad, and I was wondering if anyone could suggest some good iTunes alternatives that offer the option to just add files to your iPad WITHOUT having to go through the syncing ordeal. I've tried messing with settings in iTunes, such as only syncing checked files, but whatever I do, I end up deleting all my vids off my ipad on accident if they are deleted on my PC. I just want to add a vid. Not store a billion files on my HD as well. lol.

Also, should I be worried about what will happen when I go and plug into iTunes for the first time after jailbreaking? :eek:

Thanks a bunch! :)

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should not be worried when you plug your Apple Device with iTunes if jailbroken unless other computer (friends') then just disable auto sync.
Make sure you don't update available future iTunes (if using it), when you have a jailbroken iDevice already compatible with the current version.

Alternatives:

CopyTrans
MediaMonkey
RhythemBox
XPlay
DoubleTwist
Clementine

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have a look at the free program iFunbox. it's an access tool so you can put stuff on and take stuff off your iPad (with the iPad connected to the PC via the USB cord). I find it's much easier - and faster - than trying to use an SSH process over WiFi. You plug in the iPad, open the program and start browsing. The only "handicap" is that the program has to be installed on every computer you want to use. Although, so did iTunes, so there's that.

The only difficult thing is that if you load songs, movies and pictures that way, the odds are pretty good that the default iPad apps (Music, Videos and Photos) won't "see" them. This is because when you sync with iTunes to transfer those items, the iPad also creates a database of sorts. So, they can't be merged in with the existing app files if you don't use iTunes. It's not a big deal, but you'll have to get/use another app to look at those type of media files you side load.

And, no, there's no reason to worry about connecting your iPad to iTunes after the jail break. As long as it's the iTunes you used for backing up or syncing, then it won't even notice you're jail broken. It'll still behave the same way it did prior to the jail break. You just won't be able to sync the jail break stuff - iTunes won't recognize that "foreign" software/data.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
M

MichelleD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'm going to check those out. Thanks for all the comprehensive help. You guys are the best!

dynomonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can also searh for a program called no update. It prevents your ipad from updating to the next ios.

OP
M

MichelleD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again guys! I decided iFunBox is the best for me. :) I am going to look into the no-update program too. Sorry to bump an older thread, but I wanted to be sure everyone here knew how thankful I am for all their help and kindfullness!! :)

Stevelamont

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can add files to iPad using mewseek (also remove them). My current problem is finding away to get the files on the iPad OTA.

Most reactions

Latest posts