What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After a week of usage, here are my thoughts

Stingray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let me say that I purchased an iPad for my wife. She's not fond of laptops with its trackpad and doesn't like capacitive touch phones like the iPhone or Droid because it doesn't work with her long fingernails. So, I was surprised when we borrowed a friend's iPad and she fell in love with it. It's the perfect device for her and I'm glad it's available. But it's not for me. Here's why.

• I've come to the conclusion that the touch interface is not my cup of tea. It's not very accurate and made really for a consumption device, like the iPad. I'm a touch typist and I need to be able to feel the nubs on the F and J keys to align my hands when typing. I can't type quickly at all on the iPad and it's frustrating.
  • I definitely don't like the walled garden. The forced layout of the icons is very annoying. I like to organize things. My way. Unfortunately, the iPad likes to organize things. It's way. We don't get along. Once you get past a few pages of icons it's a real nightmare to find things. Apple needs to learn a lesson from Android on this one. Android has screen organization down very well.
  • The inconsistency in the interface is just plain annoying. Take "Pictures" for example. This is the ideal product to show pictures. It's beautiful and makes for a great picture showing device. When looking at pictures I have a number of choices with regard to transition between pictures. But the most important choice, how long to show a picture, is no where to be found. Even a $50 LCD picture frame has this option. Maybe there's a way to do this if I dig around, but shouldn't it be there with the transitions option? Didn't any of the engineers use this thing before releasing it?
  • Smudges. I'm a "clean nut." The look of the screen with grease smudges from the hands of many people as it gets passed around the room literally makes me want to gag. I can only barely stand the grease from my own hand. Yeah, I know a laptop keyboard is just as germ ridden, but I don't have to have those germs staring back at me reminding me of them. Yuck, yuck.
  • The screen is too small. Almost always, when looking at a web page, I must stretch it. Maybe your eyes are better but a 16" laptop screen is about the limit of small size. The iPad is a consumption device. In the age where people buy 52" TVs as a norm why would anyone want a 10" device for consumption?
  • Price. God this thing was expensive. $806 with tax and a case for 64gb. I just paid $450 for a laptop with 320 gig, 4g ram, DVD reader, and many other bells and whistles.
  • This machine is an enigma. It doesn't do things better than a laptop, is harder to carry around than a smart phone, it's only claim to fame is convenience. And, that's even questionable. It needs to be propped up to use it in your lap. Put a pillow under it, my wife does. She has to tilt it this way and that to get the glare off. Yet, with all its faults, it's wildly popular.
  • After a week of owing one I don't get it. I wanted to get it. It's a very cool gadget. Very cool. But that $806 can also purchase a 42" LCD TV AND an Xbox 360, which is also very cool. Alas, my wife likes it and, in the end, that's all that matters.

Last edited:

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Photos transition length option is in Settings | Photo. You can choose from a range between 1-20 seconds to show each photo.

Sorry you don't "get" the iPad yet. It's certainly a device in its own market. It's great for people who want to carry a laptop-type device but not have to carry around 5+ lbs of weight. You certainly can't carry around 42" tv and XBOX to do a little gaming when you have a few minutes of waiting time. Surfing on the iPad is no doubt better than on the biggest smartphone due to its screen real estate. Etc etc.

And as for glare (and to an extent, fingerprints), a screen protector such as Zagg Invisibleshield, GhostArmor, etc, will cut down quite a bit of both. The naked glass of the iPad is a magnet for showing grease, fingerprints and glare!

OP
S

Stingray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Photos transition length option is in Settings | Photo. You can choose from a range between 1-20 seconds to show each photo.

Sorry you don't "get" the iPad yet. It's certainly a device in its own market. It's great for people who want to carry a laptop-type device but not have to carry around 5+ lbs of weight. You certainly can't carry around 42" tv and XBOX to do a little gaming when you have a few minutes of waiting time. Surfing on the iPad is no doubt better than on the biggest smartphone due to its screen real estate. Etc etc.

And as for glare (and to an extent, fingerprints), a screen protector such as Zagg Invisibleshield, GhostArmor, etc, will cut down quite a bit of both. The naked glass of the iPad is a magnet for showing grease, fingerprints and glare!

PurpleOrchid,

Thanks for your reply. I've learned something already! Sometimes it pays to vent. Thanks for your patient reply.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The onscreen keyboard is not too bad in landscape for me. I have been looking at this Microsoft Bluetooth Mobile Keyboard 6000 | Staples® for my home PC, and hear it should work for the iPad as well.

Jailbreak or iOS 4 should help with organizational of items with the addition of folders for the icons.

You can adjust the slide-show interval for photos under Settings > Photos. The time can adjust from 2,3,5,10 & 20 seconds. Also can set repeat and shuffle as well.

I read that Zagg invisibleSHIELD helps with the screen smudges.

I use mine to replace a netbook around the house as I don't like to get tied down to my desk as I work from home. Battery life is about 3x more as well. I mainly use LogMeIn to get to my work and home computers, and Safari/Atomic for the browser needs.

I think I will Jailbreak once they have a solution for 3.2.1, as I just want to be able to multitask a bit between LogMeIn and Safari, my main only complaint.

(EDIT: Sorry, I seemed to skip the previous post adding repetitive info ....)

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I actually have the Microsoft Bluetooth 6000 keyboard and can confirm it does work with the iPad.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I actually have the Microsoft Bluetooth 6000 keyboard and can confirm it does work with the iPad.

That's good to know. I need to get a more ergonomic keyboard as my hands are starting to get the effects of using a regular one too much.....

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
People, people! Please!

Its OK not to like the iPad. This is not the end of days. The world as we know it will not come to an end just because someone does not like the iPad. It is definitely not just a repackaged laptop or netbook. It is, as Stingray points out, is a consumption device. Or to put it crudely, it is another portal to iTunes. We consume the apps and Apple consumes our money!

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Uh, I wasn't making him like the iPad, nor was I mad at him for not liking it. I was just commenting on how it's in a market by itself.

Nobody was ganging up on him or bandwagonning.

Not sure what the "People people, please!" was for.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That comment was coming from my position as president of the National Sarcasm Society, but I really do think there are people (not you of course) who are offended when they hear that someone actually does not like the iPad.

OP
S

Stingray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, guys. I don't dislike the iPad. But, I have my price. I'd like it a heck of alot if it were $150, had an SD card slot, USB ports and HDMI out.

I think that the time will come when I see all those things for $150 but it won't be made by Apple.

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well for $29, you can get the Apple Camera Connection kit that includes two dongles: one for SD cards so you can upload photos to your iPad, and the second dongle is a USB connector that allows you to connect your camera to also upload photos to the iPad. The bonus with the USB donfle is that you can connect some USB devices for unsupported use, such as USB keyboards and some card readers.

OP
S

Stingray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well for $29, you can get the Apple Camera Connection kit that includes two dongles: one for SD cards so you can upload photos to your iPad, and the second dongle is a USB connector that allows you to connect your camera to also upload photos to the iPad. The bonus with the USB donfle is that you can connect some USB devices for unsupported use, such as USB keyboards and some card readers.

Yes, I've seen that. But that's not what I want the SD card port for. Apple's just treating the SD card as a peripheral for a very narrow purpose.

I want a tablet that only comes with 8gb or maybe 16gb of memory and then lets me put in a 32gb SD card to expand the memory of the device.

I have 450 moves on my Windows 7 Home Theater PC. I'd like to take those along in the form of SD chips wherever I go. It'd certainly make my wife happy. As it is, she now has to go into iTunes and then select only specific movies that will fit on the 64gb iPad. It's an unnecessary and arbitrary limitation imposed by the manufacturer. Maybe this made sense 4 years ago when SD was expensive. But now, a 16gb SD card is under $30.

I have over 30,000 photos on my HTPC (I'm a big Canon fan) and over 5,000 songs. It requires a lot of needless work selecting what will go on an iPad. Why is that? It's these arbitrary and unexplainable limitations, referred to as the "walled garden", that frustrates almost all but the techno-novice.

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just read that you can use the Camera Connection kit to trick the iPad to playing movies from the SD card. If you create a folder named DCIM on the SD card and put your movues in there, it will fool the CC kit to allow you to import those movies.

I don't have the CC kit yet, so I can't vouch for it.

Drag Bunt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
  • Smudges. I'm a "clean nut." The look of the screen with grease smudges from the hands of many people as it gets passed around the room literally makes me want to gag. I can only barely stand the grease from my own hand. Yeah, I know a laptop keyboard is just as germ ridden, but I don't have to have those germs staring back at me reminding me of them. Yuck, yuck.
Solution: No one touches the iPad without using a Handi Wipe first.

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Funny how you don't say anything positive other then your wife likes it.

If it looks like a troll
If it smells like a troll
If it writes like a troll

Well, it proll is a troll

Lol

Most reactions

Latest posts