What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After a week of usage, here are my thoughts

OP
S

Stingray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Funny how you don't say anything positive other then your wife likes it.

If it looks like a troll
If it smells like a troll
If it writes like a troll

Well, it proll is a troll

Lol

I understand. Troll=non-Borg.

G.P

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see what's so trollish about the OP's post. Not everyone who buys an ipad is going to fall head over heels over it, and they have as much right to express their feelings as the ipad-lovers.

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see what's so trollish about the OP's post. Not everyone who buys an ipad is going to fall head over heels over it, and they have as much right to express their feelings as the ipad-lovers.

I am a little confused by his post. For instance he bought a touch screen device yet is bothered by fingerprints. He mentions other things that are not part of iPad and is critical of them. Plus the price? Didn't he know all these things going in?

Whatever, I love my iPad, I don't mind people's grungy happy finger prints all over it. It means they had some fun with it. The key board still drives me crazy as I want to "lean" my fingers against it, but for lotsa typing I use a regular keyboard. For me, its worth every dime and more. It does so many things my laptop doesn't. I like all the new skills (like typing) I'm learning from it as well as trying to figure out new ways to use it.

To each his own.

CM

G.P

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I am a little confused by his post. For instance he bought a touch screen device yet is bothered by fingerprints. He mentions other things that are not part of iPad and is critical of them. Plus the price? Didn't he know all these things going in?

Whatever, I love my iPad, I don't mind people's grungy happy finger prints all over it. It means they had some fun with it. The key board still drives me crazy as I want to "lean" my fingers against it, but for lotsa typing I use a regular keyboard. For me, its worth every dime and more. It does so many things my laptop doesn't. I like all the new skills (like typing) I'm learning from it as well as trying to figure out new ways to use it.

To each his own.

CM

Hey, you're preaching to the converted here:). I'm just saying, positively or negatively, he's entitled to his opinion.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
@Stingray Sounds like the iPad is not for you, that's cool :)

I can't stand Macs, so a Mac is not for me. That does not make me a Windows fanboy, or a bad person. It also does not mean the PC is better than Mac, or that there is anything wrong with Macs. It just means that a Mac is not for me.

G.P

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The key to the OPs posting is that he bought it for his wife. He didn't buy it for himself.

Yeah, I get that part. But he's not posting his dislikes for his wife. She likes it.

Yes, but he's dabbled enough with it to form his own opinion on it, which he has decided to share. I welcome all opinions on this device, good and bad. As long as we keep in mind that they are people's opinions, and that they ultimately have no bearing on whether you personally enjoy the ipad.

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The OP makes many valid points. I will expand on them here:

Cannot subscribe to podcasts from the iPad
No widgets - Seriously Apple, Seriously.
No native network streaming of movies or audio
No playback of mkv, avi or other standard formats
No on the road importing of new music or books or movies
480P out through the vga connector is pathetic Apple
No choice of keyboards, clocks, layout, etc. Arrow keys Apple, ARROW KEYS.
Everything must go through iTunes to be assimilated into the OS.

Sure, there are workarounds for SOME of these issues, but none of them are sufficient. I understand WHY Apple has made these design choices, they are trying to force you to use their services via Itunes, much like how Verizon used to cripple their phones by disabling bluetooth and other features to force you to use VCast. This is my first 'i' device, so I did not realize how large of an issue this was until I experienced it, but its bad. I don't like the walled garden Apple has set up. I do like the portability and polished nature of the OS, but it has MAJOR flaws like a complete lack of customization. It will be a hard choice when a competing Android tablet comes out if I want to abandon the truly great apps that the iPad has, but unless iOS4.1 changes MAJOR issues I have with the iPad, I think I will probably move on to a better tablet.

Sadly, Apple has cornered itself into a non high definition screen corner with the current iPad, which means that subsequent iPads will have to be gimped out of the gate with giant black bars while playing movies. They cannot switch to a 16x9 screen on the next iPad, because they would need a whole NEW set of compatible apps for a whole new resolution.

Last edited:

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
The OP makes many valid points. I will expand on them here:

Cannot subscribe to podcasts from the iPad
No widgets - Seriously Apple, Seriously.
No native network streaming of movies or audio
No playback of mkv, avi or other standard formats
No on the road importing of new music or books or movies
480P out through the vga connector is pathetic Apple
No choice of keyboards, clocks, layout, etc. Arrow keys Apple, ARROW KEYS.
Everything must go through iTunes to be assimilated into the OS.

Sure, there are workarounds for SOME of these issues, but none of them are sufficient. I understand WHY Apple has made these design choices, they are trying to force you to use their services via Itunes, much like how Verizon used to cripple their phones by disabling bluetooth and other features to force you to use VCast. This is my first 'i' device, so I did not realize how large of an issue this was until I experienced it, but its bad. I don't like the walled garden Apple has set up. I do like the portability and polished nature of the OS, but it has MAJOR flaws like a complete lack of customization. It will be a hard choice when a competing Android tablet comes out if I want to abandon the truly great apps that the iPad has, but unless iOS4.1 changes MAJOR issues I have with the iPad, I think I will probably move on to a better tablet for me.

Sadly, Apple has cornered itself into a non high definition screen corner with the current iPad, which means that subsequent iPads will have to be gimped out of the gate with giant black bars while playing movies. They cannot switch to a 16x9 screen on the next iPad, because they would need a whole NEW set of compatible apps for a whole new resolution.

Fixed......

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad is not for every one it is that simple. In saying that millions love it. I have met many Aussies whom have purchased the iPad all love it sure a couple said wish it had this or that but the fact is they all stated it provides total enjoyment day in and day out.

I am also amused by critics of the apple store frankly i purchase applications because they give me enjoyment for a small out lay of money and the choice is fantastic. I also have purchased comics and books which I also enjoy. Others seem to say it's too expensive to buy apps ? If one really thinks about most individuals will most likely have about 20 30 apps of which they use a small number all the time like me hahaha
Any way that's my 2 Cents worth guys.

Col

OP
S

Stingray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't realize I'd create such a stir.

I understand why people like the iPad, I really do. It's sexy. Very sexy. But it puts unnecessary demands to go along with that sexiness.

Some of them just can't be explained. Some of them can be fixed via apps.

For example: In a 16:9 world why would anyone make a 4:3 device? Even the $349 laptop in this week's Fry's ad is 16:9.

In a wireless world why do I need a wire to backup and sync? Even the Zune does everything without a wire!

In an HiDef world why is there only VGA out? Even a Droid X cell phone has HDMI out.

In a world of cheap picture frames where I can show a single picture for 24 hours before it changes, why can I only show a picture on an iPad for a maximum of 20 seconds in the slide show mode?

My complaint is that this device follows the "form over function" model. It's a sexy model without a lot of common sense.

I'd be willing to bet that many of these things will get corrected in the future. But, if history repeats itself ala the iPod, you will NOT see these upgrades, even software ones, on current models. Apple has a proven history of obsoleting older models. Yes, I know iOS4 should be available soon, but that will probably be the end of the line for the current model of the iPads.

Why, you ask, did I buy the iPad? Because my wife likes it. It's an $800 solitaire machine. If she's happy with it then it was a good purchase. That doesn't mean, however, that I can't point out its obvious flaws, though. I just won't point them out to her. :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts