What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

External hard drive question

OP
K

keeverw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Shutterfly basically said I would have to copy the pictures to the ipads internal storage prior to uploading them with the app.

Android has a third party shutterfly uploader, but no official app from shutterfly. Which means you could upload photos, but there is no app for viewing them.
I asked them if they have plans for an official shutterfly app for android just now. I'll see what they say.
My wife prefers ipad over Android. I am the opposite. I would much rather her get a Nexus7, but everyone has their preferences. She would probably rather just get a new laptop than an Android tablet.

The reason I haven't considered an Apple laptop as mentioned above, is because of the price mainly. For about $500 I can get a powerhouse of a PC laptop.
I know this because I just bought myself one recently. I use it for audio production, and it performs really well. You can't even get the top level ipad for that price, let alone a macbook pro.
Plus neither of us have ever owned a mac computer, and don't really want to deal with the learning curve.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
keeverw said:
Shutterfly basically said I would have to copy the pictures to the ipads internal storage prior to uploading them with the app.

Android has a third party shutterfly uploader, but no official app from shutterfly. Which means you could upload photos, but there is no app for viewing them.
I asked them if they have plans for an official shutterfly app for android just now. I'll see what they say.
My wife prefers ipad over Android. I am the opposite. I would much rather her get a Nexus7, but everyone has their preferences. She would probably rather just get a new laptop than an Android tablet.

The reason I haven't considered an Apple laptop as mentioned above, is because of the price mainly. For about $500 I can get a powerhouse of a PC laptop.
I know this because I just bought myself one recently. I use it for audio production, and it performs really well. You can't even get the top level ipad for that price, let alone a macbook pro.
Plus neither of us have ever owned a mac computer, and don't really want to deal with the learning curve.

I see no reason to get a Mac for this when a less expensive pc will do. If you put the pics in a folder on an android, there is a built in app to view them. I don't think that is a problem. As an only pc, the nexus 7 would not be my choice, I'd get a tablet with a bigger screen if I could only have one device. Personal choice I guess.

OP
K

keeverw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see no reason to get a Mac for this when a less expensive pc will do. If you put the pics in a folder on an android, there is a built in app to view them. I don't think that is a problem. As an only pc, the nexus 7 would not be my choice, I'd get a tablet with a bigger screen if I could only have one device. Personal choice I guess.

I use a Galaxy Nexus for my phone running the latest and greatest from Liquid Roms. I actually just upgraded to his latest which was released today.
So I am intimately familiar with what Android can do.
But problem is with the ipad or an Android pad, is I don't want to store the pictures on my pads memory, because neither have enough memory for that.
With an official shutterfly app, I could have all my pics stored on shutterfly's online storage, and I can view them via the app. But on Android there is no official app, only apps to upload pictures. So I would have no way of viewing my photos stored online through shutterfly.

I am most likely just going to get her a new laptop.
This is more trouble than it's worth from what I can tell. It would have to make her life easier, or she won't be interested.

Maybe a few years down the road when tablets develop a little more.

Thanks for all the help!

Most reactions

Latest posts