What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad newbie - some thoughts

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unlike you I cant fully isolate myself in evaluating a product without evaluating the company that puts out said product. For me, Apple products embody everything the company is about. Ditto Android for Google.

Ive worked in marketing all my life, first for government, then for some of the biggest tech companies in the world, and now the dark and murky financial services sector :) For me, the way a company communicates is of vital importance in the way they are perceived. I hope that's a given in this day and age where transparency is key and shareholder value is paramount.

Actually, I mentioned early in the thread that I dislike some of Apple's business practices, so I'd prefer to switch to Android. But like most people, I tend to look out for my own needs first, so I won't buy a stunted Android tab just to avoid Apple. When tablets reach a certain baseline for my uses, I'll switch. That's also what you've done by buying an iPad and holding out on an Android tablet, as far as what you've shared, so I think were agreeing in practice.

As for marketing, there's not much of it that I trust. I might read up on what a company says, but I verify the best I can if I'm to spend money. Marketing is the practice of putting the best spin on your product or service, and I understand its role, but do not believe that any company is fully transparent.

No companies are clean or flawless, and I can think of plenty reasons to avoid Google, Samsung, etc., too. But it's a matter of the less of the evils, as long as their products actually work for me, lol.

Reaction score
Marketing is all about how you will be a better, more likable person if you get their product. The best marketing ploy I've ever seen was the KFC commercials stating how mom doesn't need to cook on Sunday now and will be happier, the family will be better , the world will be better because KFC is now open on Sunday for lunch. A close second is the generic human being dancing with an iPod . They were both sheer marketing genius. Another was the "can you hear me now?" series by Verizon . The Verizon Droid series struck that scifi/Techno nerd nerve in many of us initially.
It's all about getting us emotionally involved in our buying

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marketing is all about how you will be a better, more likable person if you get their product. The best marketing ploy I've ever seen was the KFC commercials stating how mom doesn't need to cook on Sunday now and will be happier, the family will be better , the world will be better because KFC is now open on Sunday for lunch. A close second is the generic human being dancing with an iPod . They were both sheer marketing genius. Another was the "can you hear me now?" series by Verizon . The Verizon Droid series struck that scifi/Techno nerd nerve in many of us initially.
It's all about getting us emotionally involved in our buying

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

I rarely see ads, because I haven't watched TV for years. (My TVs are for movies.) I tend to overlook ads online, too. When I buy a car, electronics, etc., it's usually because I've read about them in news or blogs, or heard word of mouth, then I go read up more. For me, function and reliability are key, then price.

Advertising is just a slice of marketing, though, as I understand it.

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
hellokitty1692 said:
i have the first generation iPad and im still gettin used to it myself :)

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to learn about your iPad. Everyone is so friendly and willing to help you with any questions you have. Do some searches and you will learn so much. There are some manuals available, which make great reading. Enjoy!!

Most reactions

Latest posts