What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aarghh.....can you help

murphy608

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I cannot remember the pass code for the restrictions I have put on my son's iPad . Up to now I have 10 failed attempts putting in all the codes I can think I may have used , how many attempts do you get ? can I override it ? When does it lock completely and need assistance from the tech guys at the shop ?

TRAYVON

iPF Noob
Reaction score
murphy608 said:
I cannot remember the pass code for the restrictions I have put on my son's iPad . Up to now I have 10 failed attempts putting in all the codes I can think I may have used , how many attempts do you get ? can I override it ? When does it lock completely and need assistance from the tech guys at the shop ?

Oh u better take it to the nearest genius store!or else restore it from ur itunes to prev version

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use the same pass code on all of my iDevices. Best of luck.

HardMetalAlchemy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can override the passcode only if you have the 'erase data' tab set to off. This should allow you to have an unlimited number of guesses but having to wait for more time for each failed attempt. Apps and content you've downloaded previously should be stored in iCloud, so you can still download them back onto the iPad even if you choose to reset it to factory settings.

Good luck :)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't worry about that option, it is a red herring IMO. It is related to the overall passcode lock, and not the code which is put on "restrictions" which is completely independent and unaffected by that setting.

You should be able to try as many combinations as you like for the restrictions without locking out the device.

If you can't guess it, then your only option is going to be a restore using iTunes. If you go down this route, you will not be able to restore your backup from what I recall, since that setting will be activated again and since you don't know the passcode you will be back where you started! So you will just need to start clean and fresh, and install your apps from the app store again. On the plus side, at least you won't have to pay for them again. Just make sure you have stored away anything which is really important to you before you restore. e.g. photos are one that folks often forget about!

Good luck.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
murphy608 said:
Where is the 'erase data ' tab ?

It's in Settings>General>Passcode

image-256607249.jpgif the slider is set to on, it will erase all content and settings after 10 failed passcode entries. It can't be accessed from a locked iPad without the passcode.This applies to the passcode that locks the entire iPad, not the restrictions passcode,which can be different from the general passcode.

Last edited:

vLo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was up to 16 when I finally guessed my code. I don't remember the exact sequence, but after the first failures it made me wait a minute between attempts, then 5 minutes, then 15, and finally an hour between each attempt.

To anyone who has this problem, I'd recommend writing down all of your ideas for 4-digit pass codes and go thru them systematically so you don't waste any of your attempts.

I also recommend you back up your iPad before you do this so that if something happens after 16 attempts you can always do a full reset.

Most reactions

Latest posts