What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restrictions ON.... Cant remember code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacey Sheppard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At some point I set the restrictions code on my iPad 3, and now I can't remember the 4 digit numerical code. I tired the two I thought it was, but it is not, and it now states I have "2 failed pass code attempts." is there a way I can reset? Nearest Apple store to me is a hour, so I thought I would try here first, as I can't get out there until next weekend... Thanks in advance!

Oh, and I should mention, I had it set so when my son uses it, he doesn't pay accidentally for buyable in-game items. I just purchased PROcreate for myself, and want to download the extra brushes, which can only be done of course, in app.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's what Apple has to say on the matter.

If you cannot remember the passcode, you will need to restore your device using the computer with which you last synced it. This allows you to reset your passcode and resync the data from the device (or restore from a backup). If you restore on a different computer that was never synced with the device, you will be able to unlock the device for use and remove the passcode, but your data will not be present.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

OP
Stacey Sheppard

Stacey Sheppard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kevin, does this mean, since my iPad is not backed up as of yet (due to a different issue entirely) that I will be losing it all? Meaning, documents in pages, downloads from the app store, photographs? I'm sure it must, I suppose I can mail myself the documents ( just finished a semester and have perhaps 15 documents), will I be able to download the apps a second time? Those receipts are all saved in the mail setup... Or will I be charged? I can't believe I did this to myself!

And, just how many failed attempts does one get? And, if I fail too many times, am I locked out entirely?

and, I guess I shall be calling to get this other issue fixed so I can connect my iCloud!!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Certainly email the docs to yourself. NEVER have anything you care about in one place only.

The apps are less critical. Anything you have paid for you can d/l again for free.

OP
Stacey Sheppard

Stacey Sheppard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was most concerned about the Pages documents as I'm in grad school, and must keep record... My MacBook Pro has keyboard damage, so I've been using this instead. My apple ID has a bit of an issue, before I go further, I will call to have that fixed, and will email those documents. I am glad I would not have to repay for those apps too! Thanks so much for your help!

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stacey Sheppard said:
Kevin, does this mean, since my iPad is not backed up as of yet (due to a different issue entirely) that I will be losing it all? Meaning, documents in pages, downloads from the app store, photographs? I'm sure it must, I suppose I can mail myself the documents ( just finished a semester and have perhaps 15 documents), will I be able to download the apps a second time? Those receipts are all saved in the mail setup... Or will I be charged? I can't believe I did this to myself!

And, just how many failed attempts does one get? And, if I fail too many times, am I locked out entirely?

and, I guess I shall be calling to get this other issue fixed so I can connect my iCloud!!

I'm fairly certain you have up to 10 failed attempts.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
Stacey Sheppard

Stacey Sheppard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One more question if I may, how many chances do I get to try my pass code? I have used 2. I have two that are possibilities for numbers, but not sure which to try first. But if I get five chances are whatnot... That's a different story! Thanks again.

OP
Stacey Sheppard

Stacey Sheppard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
I think King Hal is right. 10.

Awesome! I was fairly sure 10, but wanted to make sure! There are only two other numbers I could have used... So all good! Thanks again!

OP
Stacey Sheppard

Stacey Sheppard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Patrizia_NC said:
It's ten! I know that for a fact

I have now used six tries... I cannot figure out what it is.... I have used very combos can think of... Whatever possessed me to set it in the first place??? I wish there was a way to reset this, especially seeing as I have this iCloud issue going that no one seems to be able to help with at Apple... Off to the forums here, as you all have been so helpful!

cellur111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only way to get rid of the pass code is to restore your iPad to factory setting and if you haven't already backed it up on your computer there's no way to restore your iPad..your going to have to do everything all over again

And by the way you have as many chances as you want I'm pretty sure I know on my iPod touch o forgot it once and once o entered it to many times I had to wait like a couple minutes to try again but not sure if it's the same case for the ipad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions