What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help unlock iPad?

TDelling

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My adult son passed away suddenly and I just got his iPad back from the authorities. It's a small one, sorry I don't know what version. I think it was already jail broken somewhere along the line. It was dead, so I charged it up to 100%. Then the lock comes up and every time I try to guess the code, the waiting time to try again increases. I think it's 90 minutes now so I'm leery of further attempts. I would appreciate learning a way to get passed this and just wipe/reset the device completely. I don't want access to any of the material on it, but I would like to use it, I guess for sentimental reasons. He had it in his hands when he passed. I am not very iPad-savvy, but would be grateful for any tips. Thank you.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello TDelling - welcome to the forum! :) And so sorry about your loss.

Johanna's link provides the three options shown below - the first requires the use of iTunes preferably on a computer that has been synced to the device, likely meaning your son's machine if you have access?

If not, then the second choice uses iCloud's 'Erase' feature, but you would need to know your son's Apple ID to enter his account - assume that you don't?

Thus, you are likely left w/ the third option, i.e. 'Recovery Mode' - if you do not feel comfortable w/ performing this maneuver, is there an Apple store or an authorized Apple dealer near you? Dave :)

P.S. the model and serial numbers are on the lower back of the iPad in very small size (may need a magnifying glass) - there are a number of ways to 'lookup' the device's information, including the Apple purchase date and warranty.

Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 11.31.31 AM.png

Most reactions

Latest posts