What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A new iOS6 and persist the same basic mail program.

SC25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello to all. In the release of the iOS6 I believe that Apple maybe create and attachment button into the mail program to insert Excel and Words files. But not. Why Apple cant do that. I have an iPad2 and when I reply an email to a sender is to much difficult attach a file. Other upgrade that doesn't solve this problem and keep the basic mail program.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is indication of attaching files from within the Mail program. Photos and videos for sure. Other files have to be attached by being sent from 3rd party apps because of sand boxing. I don't see Apple changing that anytime soon.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
No new buttons.

What they did is when you double tap in the email body just like how you would get the Past menu to past text there is another one called "insert photo or Video"

OP
S

SC25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there any reason for Apple doesn't allow to attach files directly from email app. Like Blackberry or Android can do. ????

SomeRandomBloke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It may be because apps can't access each other's data. Apple prefer an app based rather than folder based file system. This shows its limitations. That said, there seems no reason Apple can't break its own rules for in built apps - they've done it before. Maybe there's a technical limitation because of the way it handles files?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SC25, every program is designed for the basic principles of the Apple protocols. If Apple has not bothered to make mail able to add attachments from the email, and no app mail service has done this, it means that it either is impossible to do within their rules, or it is not a issue with enough demand to make it worthwhile. Rather than get bent out of shape over a function that you cannot change, you should learn to deal with the limitations or jailbreak your unit to take advantage of other options.

OP
S

SC25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SomeRandomBloke said:
It may be because apps can't access each other's data. Apple prefer an app based rather than folder based file system. This shows its limitations. That said, there seems no reason Apple can't break its own rules for in built apps - they've done it before. Maybe there's a technical limitation because of the way it handles files?

Thanks a lot for your reply.

OP
S

SC25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog said:
SC25, every program is designed for the basic principles of the Apple protocols. If Apple has not bothered to make mail able to add attachments from the email, and no app mail service has done this, it means that it either is impossible to do within their rules, or it is not a issue with enough demand to make it worthwhile. Rather than get bent out of shape over a function that you cannot change, you should learn to deal with the limitations or jailbreak your unit to take advantage of other options.

Hello thanks for your reply. It seems like nor to much iPad users use their devices for work because the feature of attach any type of files ( Excel, PDF, Word, Pages, Numbers, Photos etc ) is very important when you try to use the iPad as a work toll. Maybe the iPad is a device only for entertainment purposes. But if you try to carry this mail issue to the iPhone is very disappointing that other Smartphones can do the same as the PC or Mac in mail areas and the iPhone have serious limitations. I'm a big fan of the iPad and iPhones devices. But it's those devices are for entertainment purposes only.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello thanks for your reply. It seems like nor to much iPad users use their devices for work because the feature of attach any type of files ( Excel, PDF, Word, Pages, Numbers, Photos etc ) is very important when you try to use the iPad as a work toll. Maybe the iPad is a device only for entertainment purposes. But if you try to carry this mail issue to the iPhone is very disappointing that other Smartphones can do the same as the PC or Mac in mail areas and the iPhone have serious limitations. I'm a big fan of the iPad and iPhones devices. But it's those devices are for entertainment purposes only.

No, I am a member that uses my iPad for work too. I am trying to understand why there is so much frustration with this Mail App. When I think of the process of attaching a document to an email when using my PC, I think of the similar steps that have to be done. You still have to go to your appropriate file to select the document you want to attach. To me this is very similar to what the iPad Mail app does, but instead, you are doing it in reverse--having to go to the designated App and selecting from there.

Maybe I am missing something here, but it really is just a small adjustment in practice to get used to it. If not, there's always the choice to JB your device to open more options.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I also use my iPad for work emails. I use it to supplement my work PC, therefore any heavy duty attachments are done in Outlook because I am there when I'm working on them. My iPad/iPhone keeps me connected via email, so when I'm out and about or at home I am more likely perusing them and giving basic responses.

The way of attaching files habitually has been reinforced by the explosion of webmail services in the last 10 years. The likes of Hotmail and Gmail means you have to attach your files to the email whilst composing your message, because it just cannot do it the other way. People are used to that method and sometimes have trouble adapting to a new way of doing things.

I remember showing a friend of mine how to attach files in Outlook because he used to send the document straight from Word, which did not always result in an attachment if you did it the wrong way (because it would be the body of the email instead). The point is there is always more than one way of doing things and sometimes what you think is not always the best practice.

I actually love the challenge of finding a workaround or solution when something does not work out of the box the way I think it should. In the process you add to your own knowledge and skillset and grow. Sometimes you have to take what you want instead of having everything come to you.

OP
S

SC25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:
I also use my iPad for work emails. I use it to supplement my work PC, therefore any heavy duty attachments are done in Outlook because I am there when I'm working on them. My iPad/iPhone keeps me connected via email, so when I'm out and about or at home I am more likely perusing them and giving basic responses.

The way of attaching files habitually has been reinforced by the explosion of webmail services in the last 10 years. The likes of Hotmail and Gmail means you have to attach your files to the email whilst composing your message, because it just cannot do it the other way. People are used to that method and sometimes have trouble adapting to a new way of doing things.

I remember showing a friend of mine how to attach files in Outlook because he used to send the document straight from Word, which did not always result in an attachment if you did it the wrong way (because it would be the body of the email instead). The point is there is always more than one way of doing things and sometimes what you think is not always the best practice.

I actually love the challenge of finding a workaround or solution when something does not work out of the box the way I think it should. In the process you add to your own knowledge and skillset and grow. Sometimes you have to take what you want instead of having everything come to you.

Ok, maybe it's true the thinks what you say about how we attach files in Outlook, Hotmail and Gmail. But for example, if you receive an email and you want to reply the sender and attach one Excel file and one photo, how you can do that ? Many people that send me email want to receive a reply of the email, not a new email. Thanks for your help....

Most reactions

Latest posts