What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transferring files to/from iPad

Wayne Block

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am still relatively new with my iPad and finally solved a problem with adding my personal music to it. Now, however, I have a different question.
I kind of understand why Apple made that process so difficult, they really only want you to buy their music.
My question now is much more basic. Unless I am wrong, transferring data to and from the iPad is about as difficult.
I would like to set up mine to be able to do some work. I looked for info on how to transfer files back and forth but it seems almost as difficult. One site I looked at had six different methods, each requiring between 12-16 steps. That's crazy.
I do have an iPad compatible flash drive that should make it easier, but I still have no idea how to access the iPad file structure.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Also, any suggestions on apps that emulate Microsoft Office, at least the Word and Excel modules?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am still relatively new with my iPad and finally solved a problem with adding my personal music to it. Now, however, I have a different question.
I kind of understand why Apple made that process so difficult, they really only want you to buy their music.
My question now is much more basic. Unless I am wrong, transferring data to and from the iPad is about as difficult.
I would like to set up mine to be able to do some work. I looked for info on how to transfer files back and forth but it seems almost as difficult. One site I looked at had six different methods, each requiring between 12-16 steps. That's crazy.
I do have an iPad compatible flash drive that should make it easier, but I still have no idea how to access the iPad file structure.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Also, any suggestions on apps that emulate Microsoft Office, at least the Word and Excel modules?

Hello Wayne - welcome to the forum! :) You obviously are coming from the Microsoft World and want to emulate your experience there - right? Well, you need to better understand Apple's World, the differences between iPadOS and Windows, and the many ways to transfer files. First, your comment I kind of understand why Apple made that process so difficult, they really only want you to buy their music is ignorant - I have TONS of music on my iPad and my Mac computers w/ very little bought from Apple - most was from ripped CDs or bought elsewhere, such as Amazon - so you need to learn your options.

As to 'file transfers', you again need to do some reading and learning before complaining - I'll just mention a few considerations among many: 1) Have your learned to used iCloud or other cloud-based services, such as Dropbox; 2) Have you explored the 'Files App' which integrates w/ iCloud; and 3) Have you downloaded Documents by Readdle which offers more features that 'Files'?

As to MS Office, Apple offers its own office suites which are free, i.e. Pages, Numbers, and Keynote - have you explored those apps? Let me stop there and let your 'digest' and post back. Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The ability to transfer files to/from USB Drives and other devices in the Files app is recent, as in iOS 13 recent. It’s still less than perfect. Older methods used by third party drives were more complex and even less reliable.

For that reason (and others) most iPad users have depended on various cloud services to transfer/sync files. There are quite a few advantages to doing this even now. Besides being relatively easy, it insures you are working on the same file no matter what device you use, and not risking losing the file by dropping your storage in a puddle. Not losing your files just because your device died. Etc.

I welcome the newer features, but still only use it to transfer files to/from the iPad when no other method exists; like printing a document in Staples, or grabbing a spreadsheet from another computer/service that I don’t have a private account with.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Pages and Numbers should already be on your iPad, Wayne. While not identical to the Office apps, they can open/use/save the same file types.

I use iTunes to move files between my iMac and iPad, because it's easy though not terribly intuitive. The Windows version of iTunes should let you do the same. I use iTunes to rip CDs to my iMac's library in AIFF format, then sync the iPad to compress and copy the music to the tablet. Once you learn how, and set up your preferences, the process is fast and very easy. I have about 60 albums on the iPad, and I have never bought any music from the iTunes store.

OP
W

Wayne Block

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help.
I'm still wondering, though, isn't there a way to simply use a flash drive.
I wind up having to do a lot of work with no wi-fi connection. I know there are many advantages to Apple (Mac) products, but I can't imagine why there doesn't seem to be a method as easy as for PCs - plug in a flash drive and drag and drop.
It just seems Apple has made this chore far more difficult than it needs to be, or am I wrong?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
With iOS 13 and a fairly new iPad you can use a Flash Drive. It should show up in the Files apps left column.

However, you’ll probably need an adaptor for the drive. The few flash drives with Lightning ports were designed before iOS 13, and need companion apps to work with the Lightning port side. I expect newer dual and triple port flash drive will start coming out that will work directly, eventually. lf you have an iPad Pro with the USB-C port then USB-C flash drives should work fine.

In the mean time, I keep a cheap USB-C hub in my backpack. It’s not as convenient as just plugging in a drive, but it works.

BikeFlagAZ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hope it’s OK to ask in this thread since it’s a related topic:

Am I missing something, or does the IOS files app not have access to the Camera Roll? Really?

Most apps don’t store their user files in a location accessible to the Files app, so it’s of no use much of the time.

As much as I love my iPad Pro, it still feels like a toy when it comes to file management.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can save your images to Files from the built in Photos app:
C2ED8710-5D21-421E-BA44-10E3D373C8C1.jpeg

It’s also possible to save images to Photos in Files:
BAC6C185-1D27-4895-908B-E0C4777C77A1.jpeg

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hope it’s OK to ask in this thread since it’s a related topic: Am I missing something, or does the IOS files app not have access to the Camera Roll? Really?

Most apps don’t store their user files in a location accessible to the Files app, so it’s of no use much of the time.

As much as I love my iPad Pro, it still feels like a toy when it comes to file management.

Well, seems like my initial reply to this thread was overlooked - but mentioned ( LINK HERE) is an app called Documents, available at the App Store or their website - just reviewed in MacWorld, receiving an 'Editor's Choice' and 4 1/2*/5*, and said to "put Apple's Files to shame." So, did a free DL ('in app' purchases are available) to my iPad Pro & iPhone XR and have been trying the app for just a few days, so not an expert. Below are some screenshots both from my Pad (#2 & #3) and MBAir (others) w/ brief explanations - the last two show how the 'computer connection' permits easy transfer of files between the devices (and also other 'cloud based' services) - now the latter requires a Wi-Fi connection - BUT the app is worth exploring and may satisfy a number of the questions raised. Dave :)

P.S. link to the article - Documents 7 review: Free iOS file manager puts Apple’s Files app to shame

Docs1.png
Docs2.PNG
Docs3.PNG
Docs4.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 8.19.49 AM.png

BikeFlagAZ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, J.A. and Giradman.
I’ve been using Documents for years, but never dived into the file manager until now. It does much of what I need.

The”+” button in Documents is very helpful.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, J.A. and Giradman.
I’ve been using Documents for years, but never dived into the file manager until now. It does much of what I need.

The”+” button in Documents is very helpful.

Great! :) Assume you have the newest version discussed in the link? Appears that a major 'overhaul' was made to the GUI and I assume to its features - for myself, fairly new to the app but will explore further! Thanks for the feedback - Dave

BikeFlagAZ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Great! :) Assume you have the newest version discussed in the link? Appears that a major 'overhaul' was made to the GUI and I assume to its features - for myself, fairly new to the app but will explore further! Thanks for the feedback - Dave

I have the latest paid version and it’s very useful.

Most reactions

Latest posts