What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email attachment while relying or forwarding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugomartin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

Can I attach a PDF, excel or word file while replying an email? What about while forwarding an email? Is this possible? I know I can attach a picture using copy and paste but what about the above files??? Help please

Martin

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

Can I attach a PDF, excel or word file while replying an email? What about while forwarding an email? Is this possible? I know I can attach a picture using copy and paste but what about the above files??? Help please

Martin

From the iPad's native Mail app this is not possible - there is no way to attach files to the mail from within Mail. As you probably know, you can do this from outside Mail in other apps - for example, Apple's Pages, but then you are unable to add additional attachments.

There are some third party mail apps, though, that can get around this problem and allow you to add multiple attachments.

Tim
Scotland

OP
H

Hugomartin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,

I know I can go to pages, create a document and then hit email to attach the file to an email but my problem will be:

Let's say I open a new email that I just got from a friend, hit reply and I start typing whatever words. Right in the middle of the process, I decide to attach a file, how do I do that? Thru pages? What are the step to follow? You mention other apps, which ones? Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,

I know I can go to pages, create a document and then hit email to attach the file to an email but my problem will be:

Let's say I open a new email that I just got from a friend, hit reply and I start typing whatever words. Right in the middle of the process, I decide to attach a file, how do I do that? Thru pages? What are the step to follow? You mention other apps, which ones? Thanks

The third-party app that I use is GoodReader, which is the 'Swiss Army Knife' of the iPad and is constantly voted number one 'must have' app by Forum members. In GoodReader you can at least start to type an email and add a variety of files from within GoodReader - so you could add a couple of photos, a Pages document, a Keynote presentation etc.

But, in my experience at least, it's not the complete solution. It does sent this email using the iPad's native Mail app. You select the files you want to send - from within GoodReader, hit GoodReader's email button and it pops up an iPad Mail window and you're good to go.

But I don't know how to add attachments to a 'reply to' email or how to add multiple attachments if I've already started typing my email in the Mail app. If I want to send multiple attachments, I have to recognise that at the outset and go to GoodReader and kick the process off there.

Plus - if I want to send, say, Pages files I have to get them 'into' GoodReader; that app can't access the 'My Documents' space of Pages. So what I do - and there has to be an easier way, surely, is to upload my Pages document to the Apple MobileMe iDisk and then download it into GoodReader - yes, absolutely, I know what you're thinking - you did *what*?????

Well, if your back is against the wall, you do whatever is necessary.

I have done an even worse workaround for replying to an email when I need to add attachments - so I hope you're sitting down....

I copy the email text in Mail, switch to GoodReader, highlight the files I want to add, hit GoodReader's mail button and then paste the text that I'd copied in Mail into the message field...

So it is ----- sort of ----- possible to do. Clearly it's crying out for an app developer to get onto this...

Tim
Scotland

Ingoiolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wonder how difficult it could be for apple to have a decent mail app and a centralised repository for edited files...
Mistery of mr job's master plan to rule the world....
:)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A sort of workaround:

Most of the apps/files you mention can be uploaded to DropBox directly from their creating app or by jumping through a few hoops. Pages as well, though you need to use DropDAV.com to make this happen. So my proposed scenario is this.

You're replying to the email, and ... oops better send that attachment.

So you close the reply and save it as a draft. This is just incase you run out of memory while doing other things. You don't want the reply to disappear.

You open the first app with the attachment you want. Say Pages, find the file and upload it to DropBox. Then you go to GoodReader and do the same for the PDF you needed. And that Excel spreadsheet is in Docs to Go (if I remember right it will do DropBox), so off to there and upload the file.

Then there is that pesky sketch you did in Penultimate. Hm, it can be saved as a Photo. So save it, go to GoodReader and import it from the photo album, then upload it to DropBox.

Now go back to your draft in email and start to edit.

To the DropBox app. Select the first file, tap the link icon at the top and copy to the clipboard.

Back to Mail, and paste the link.

Repeat until all links are there.

Hit send.

Ok, it is a really horribly drawn out way of doing things, but it is as close to what you want as I can manage with the current setup. And it means the email will go out pronto, since there is no actual attachment to send, and the boss man can download each file at his leisure from the links.

Just to emphasize, incase I did not make it glaringly obvious, GoodReader and DropBox are the central themes that make it all possible.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to say, the poor implementation of attachments (I.e. NONE) in Mail is one of the few things I really hate about my iPad. :(. It is HUGELY irritating.

OP
H

Hugomartin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's a good work around but with no files just a link and not quiet sure about. I will test your solution to my problem

Martin

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Good luck. Just in case you did not catch it, you need to get a DropDAV account and pair it with your DropBox account to make use of it from any of the iWorks programs; Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.

Once you do that you use the WebDAV import and export options.

On GoodReader you go to Connect to Servers and add you DropBox account. Easy to use after that.

Sillylilcat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm here for answers but I'm lost in between the hoops I'll have to jump to reply an email with attachments. :(.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
For most attachments, the answer is to send them from the app the has the file in it. Most apps have an email option. You need to have an email account set up on the iPad to do this (not use Safari and web mail). For instance, you can send a photo directly from the Photos app.

Other types of attachments sometime require other solutions. If the first answer doesn't do it, add some detail to what you are trying to do and we may have a solution for you.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
buy a tablet with android! you will not regret

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Quite an unusual post for your first post on an iPad Forum and not helpful at all to the issues stated.

I suggest you think first before posting again!

This is also a very old thread and as such the OPs have not been back.

With that we will now close this thread..

....Thank you for your understanding........

.........THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED..............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts