What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few quick questions

sillyrabbitt123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A few quick questions prior to purchase and thanks in advance

(1) Can I save files to the ipad like mp3 or pdfs and be able to search for that file after downloading it? either natively or through a third party app?

(2) can you do two things at once for example listen to music and surf the web at the same time?

(3) will the hdmi tv out cable output every video file you try to play or is drm involved?

(4) Can you tether a droid to an ipad for net access?

(5) how bad will i miss flash what are some ways around not needing it or using it.

Thanks!

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
1) dunno. can you download from the web? dunno, although i've been told you can send attachments via email to yourself, which is in effect a 'yes'. you can certainly transfer them from itunes.

2) yup

3) it's touted to show or mirror everything you do on your ipad onto the tv.

4) ? like r2d2 you mean? i suspect he'd have his own in-build modem already.

5) i dont personally miss flash at all. i actively hate the thing anyway. but there are some web browsing apps you can install that cope pretty well with converting it almost 'live'. like 'skyfire' and 'puffin'.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
(1) Yes. You need to use a browser that let's you download files such as Atomic or use a download manager app like Downloads or one of the many other alternatives.

(4) If your Android phone can serve up a personal wifi hotspot then yes this will work.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A few quick questions prior to purchase and thanks in advance

(1) Can I save files to the ipad like mp3 or pdfs and be able to search for that file after downloading it? either natively or through a third party app?

(2) can you do two things at once for example listen to music and surf the web at the same time?

(3) will the hdmi tv out cable output every video file you try to play or is drm involved?

(4) Can you tether a droid to an ipad for net access?

(5) how bad will i miss flash what are some ways around not needing it or using it.

Thanks!

(1) Yes, but you may require more than one app to do this. With the exception of the native Media folders, each app has it's own sand boxed file system. This means that you will sometimes have to do some shuffling to get a file from one app to another. You can either view this as an inconvenience, or a security measure. Both are true in their own way. An app like GoodReader goes a long way to alleviate the inconvenience side of things.

(2) To some extent. Most of the time you are actually just switching between apps, with one of them frozen in the background until you start it again. There are some exceptions. Music, downloads, GPS, and four other services I can't remember at the moment will run in the background if the app supports that. Most newer apps with those services do, including the native iOS apps.

(3) The new HDMI cable mirrors the iPad display. If you can see it on the iPad, then you will see it on the big screen. For now, the HDMI adaptor is the only cable that we know for sure will work this way. Other solutions have only worked inside apps up till now.

(4) If you use a wifi hotspot, yes. Otherwise it requires rooting and jailbreaking on both devices. I haven't explored any of the various solutions. YMMV.

(5) This depends entirely on your browsing habits. If you go to a lot of Flash site now, you are going to miss it. If those site are only a secondary concern then the Flash capable browsers like Skyfire or Puffin may meet your needs. If your favorite sites already have an app or HTML5 alternative, then you are good to go, though you may miss the old site interface. If you have something that is definitely a deal breaker for you, be sure to ask about that service/site before buying.

Last edited:
OP
S

sillyrabbitt123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all for the responses and information! Its much appreciated!

In terms of files I am asking for these specific examples:

1- Downloading work files from my company using our Outlook Web Access site. Can I download pdfs, excel files, word etc... and open them and view them?

2- I subscribe to an audio site that I can either download an mp3 file and or a podcast. Can I download this right to the ipad and play it?

In terms of flash I guess I mean random sites that I go to that might have a video I wont be able to view if its flash correct? or I will if I use skyfire? Am I understanding that correctly?

One more thing if I buy one Friday will Apple be selling the verizon 3g version at the apple store or it will have to be purchased at verizon at a later time?

thanks again!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
1 - GoodReader will probably be able to do this. Without access to an OWA site myself I can't confirm that. Desktop OWA compatibility can be spotty with mobile devices. Ask your IT staff if they redirect the site to a Light version of OWA for mobile devices, and whether everything you need to do can be done on the light site. If so, you are golden.

2 - GoodReader can do that for mp3 files. I can download just about anything, but you may have to use a different app to listen to or watch with. There are very few file types that you can not find an app that will play them.

Using the built in Safari browser, you will not be able to see any Flash videos, or use sites that rely on Flash. With Puffin or Skyfire browsers you just take your chances. Sometimes they work. Sometimes they even work well.

Apple should have all varieties of the iPad at their store. That's no guarantee that they won't run out of the one you want before you get there.

OP
S

sillyrabbitt123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1 - GoodReader will probably be able to do this. Without access to an OWA site myself I can't confirm that. Desktop OWA compatibility can be spotty with mobile devices. Ask your IT staff if they redirect the site to a Light version of OWA for mobile devices, and whether everything you need to do can be done on the light site. If so, you are golden.

2 - GoodReader can do that for mp3 files. I can download just about anything, but you may have to use a different app to listen to or watch with. There are very few file types that you can not find an app that will play them.

Using the built in Safari browser, you will not be able to see any Flash videos, or use sites that rely on Flash. With Puffin or Skyfire browsers you just take your chances. Sometimes they work. Sometimes they even work well.

Apple should have all varieties of the iPad at their store. That's no guarantee that they won't run out of the one you want before you get there.

Thanks for this info!! Can goodreader open the files from the Outlook Web Access site and be able to view them as opposed to downloading it or it might be able to do both.

or how about this if I email myself a file to my gmail/yahoo account and its a pdf, excel, word, mp3 can I open those files?

thanks!

OP
S

sillyrabbitt123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to be so thick but....

(1)Do I need to use itunes to transfer all files video/music etc... or can it be done without itunes by dropping and dragging files? or i must install itunes on my pc?

(2) Can I hookup my ipad to multiple computers? Say if a file i want is on one computer can i plug usb cable in drop and drag and then do the same thing on another computer two minutes later?

(3) if i must use itunes can i set it to sync when i tell it too or to not sync at all and again drop and drag the files i want to when i want to?

thanks!!!

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A good way to test whether you'll miss flash is to download the Flashblock add on (or whatever it's called) for Firefox or your browser of choice and surf the net for a day with it turned on to block all Flash.

Then you can see how much you visit sites that use a lot of Flash and whether you'd miss it.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv

(1)Do I need to use itunes to transfer all files video/music etc... or can it be done without itunes by dropping and dragging files? or i must install itunes on my pc?

(2) Can I hookup my ipad to multiple computers? Say if a file i want is on one computer can i plug usb cable in drop and drag and then do the same thing on another computer two minutes later?

(3) if i must use itunes can i set it to sync when i tell it too or to not sync at all and again drop and drag the files i want to when i want to?

thanks!!!

You need iTunes. However, there are many cloud services such as dropbox that allow you to drag and drop, essentially

OP
S

sillyrabbitt123

iPF Noob
Reaction score

thanks!!!

You need iTunes. However, there are many cloud services such as dropbox that allow you to drag and drop, essentially

thanks for your reply. i guess my question is a lets say i have a video i am away from home and i want someone else to have that video can i hook my ipad to their computer and drop a file to their system (not a purchased movie from itunes) just a video file.
thanks

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
This is where things get....sticky.

natively, no. However, I have seen if you jailbreak, there is a way to do what you are asking. I do not have an iPad near my so I can't try it, but I will look into it when I get my 2 come tomorrow.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score

thanks!!!

IMO ... iTunes needs a new name ... It came about in the days of iPOD and all it did was manage music files. In todays technology it is the major music, data, and video file manager. So IMO it is EZ to get confused.

photoguy2380

iPF Noob
Reaction score
atomic browser apps

Hi, guys, I'm unable to locate the Atomic browser apps in itunes, is available some other way, or am I just missing something? Thanks for replying.:)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi, guys, I'm unable to locate the Atomic browser apps in itunes, is available some other way, or am I just missing something? Thanks for replying.:)

Are you on your iPad? On the iPad the iTunes app is only for Music, Movies, and other media. Use the App Store app to search for and download the Atomic app.

Most reactions

Latest posts