What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Few questions regarding the ipad2?

Uknic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, i just bought myself an ipad2 yesterday and so far im loving it! But theres a few things i could do with getting help with if theres a way or an app etc! Sorry in advance if any of these questions have previously been answered, i had a quick look and couldnt find anything...

I was wondering if you could sync your facebook calender with your ipad calender?
Is there a way of connecting my blackberry to my ipad? Caus it doesnt seem to work via bluetooth
And the last question for now.. Can you set it so you have to put a password in everytime you turn your ipad on, but not when you unlock it? Thanks jamie

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Sit tight and someone will be along to help you, in the meantime:

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
U

Uknic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So i take it that means no one can help me with any of my queries?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all, i just bought myself an ipad2 yesterday and so far im loving it! But theres a few things i could do with getting help with if theres a way or an app etc! Sorry in advance if any of these questions have previously been answered, i had a quick look and couldnt find anything...

I was wondering if you could sync your facebook calender with your ipad calender?

Hi, Uknic:

First off, welcome to the forum. Good to "see" you. On to your questions...

Sorry, can't help with this first one. I can barely skim the surface of Facebook; I am not a power user by any means. I didn't even know Facebook HAD a calendar! :D

Is there a way of connecting my blackberry to my ipad? Caus it doesnt seem to work via bluetooth

The iPad doesn't use Bluetooth like this. The only use of Bluetooth on the iPad is to connect speakers or headphones. If you mean to transfer data, a lot of folk here use cloud storage to transfer between various devices ... or e-mail. If you want to tether, you'll have to have a tethering plan on your Blackberry. If it can broadcast a signal, then the iPad can find it. Note, however, that the iPad cannot broadcast/tether for anything else. It is strictly a "receiver."

And the last question for now.. Can you set it so you have to put a password in everytime you turn your ipad on, but not when you unlock it? Thanks jamie

Unfortunately, no. The only setting Apple/the iPad has is to enter a password when you unlock it. Yeah, I know, it gets a bit inconvenient at times, which is why I don't use it. But, that's what we got.

Again, welcome to the forum. Hope your visit(s) are enjoyable.

Marilyn

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I am like Mickey330...not a power user of Facebook. However, I can't help but suspect there is a way to do this, but not directly (iPad to facebook). Perhaps one could do this through a third party? Facebook -> google <- iPad, for example. I know it is possible to sync iPad calendars with google (and a couple of others).

Is there a way of connecting my blackberry to my ipad?
"Connecting" is a pretty broad requirement. If your blackberry can provide a wi-fi hotspot, then the iPad could connect to this. If you are asking about whether it is possible to transfer data from the blackberry to the iPad, the answer is likely limited to photos, and possibly not even that. By design, the iPad does not provide the ability to transfer data like you might expect based upon PC or Mac experience. The best suggestion that I can come up with is to transfer data through a third party, such as through EMail, or via something like dropbox.

ajpegg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On the unlocking issue - I believe you can set different delays on the lock and the passcode. If the passcode delay is set longer than the lock delay you can almost create the effect you are after I think. That is most of the time you can simply unlock with a swipe, but if you leave it long enough you will need to use the passcode.

Does that help?

OP
U

Uknic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for all your answers, i didnt think you could exchange data from phone to ipad without connecting via computer but thought id check just incase there was an app developed that i wasnt aware of. I wasnt really aware of the facebook calendar until i got my blackberry and it automatically sync'd my mates bdays etc to my blackberry calendar, and ought there was maybe a similar way with the ipad. And last but not least ajpegg, kts not quite what i was looking for but it will do for the time being till i find an app or something... While im on that, is there any good apps you can recommend?

ajpegg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My favourite apps at the moment are:

Flipboard - a beautiful way to browse stuff you are interested in, but connect it to Facebook and Twitter and spend some time setting it up, It's worth it.
Hitpad - see what's trending
Notability - a lovely note taking app
Tune In Radio - digital radio from around the world
Zeebox - a new app from the technical brain behind the iPlayer which connects live TV viewing with the Twitter stream and other info. Social TV.

If you are in the UK there are also apps for ITV, 4OD, and Demand 5 as well at the BBC iPlayer. And the Sky+ app is a superb TV guide,

And just this morning I found on here an app that makes it possible to print, even though I don't have an Airprint printer, called Printopia (runs on your Mac.

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Appshopper, it allows you to input a wish list and notifies you when your apps come on sale. I have gotten many paid apps free this way.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

dave8361

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On the unlocking issue - I believe you can set different delays on the lock and the passcode. If the passcode delay is set longer than the lock delay you can almost create the effect you are after I think. That is most of the time you can simply unlock with a swipe, but if you leave it long enough you will need to use the passcode.

Does that help?
Found if I turn off Touch ID for iPad, the Passcode time allowance increases from 15 seconds to 4 hours. Having to re-enter passcode after only 15 seconds made iPad almost unusable for me, but delayed to 4 hours is just right. I use iPad entirely at my recliner at home, almost no chance it could be accessed by anyone else ever, especially not within 4 hours after I quit using it. Lock delay. Passcode delay. Lock screen delay.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
15 minutes, not seconds.

I don't find it an issue. Touch ID lets me unlock the iPad quickly, and I've now got a habit of just picking up the iPad and immediately using my thumb on the sensor. On the other hand, I do take my iOS devices around, so I want the extra security.

But I can see where your situation is different. It's good to have choices. Thanks for pointing this one out.

Most reactions