What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Battery Question

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm getting my iPad 2 in roughly 90 minutes after waiting for 3 1/2
weeks. :D

My question is about the battery. It use to be that you had to charge up the battery of whatever tech that you were using for a full 18 to 24 hours before you used the tech in question. This was required for the battery to hold a full charge. I am, of course talking about the old nickle cadmium batteries. Is it neccesarry to fully charge the iPad like that before I use it or (once I sync it) can I use the machine right out of the box? Thanks.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yay!

You can use it right out of the box, I think I did. But I can't remember how much charge it came with ~

But why not just charge it?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm getting my iPad 2 in roughly 90 minutes after waiting for 3 1/2
weeks. :D

My question is about the battery. It use to be that you had to charge up the battery of whatever tech that you were using for a full 18 to 24 hours before you used the tech in question. This was required for the battery to hold a full charge. I am, of course talking about the old nickle cadmium batteries. Is it neccesarry to fully charge the iPad like that before I use it or (once I sync it) can I use the machine right out of the box? Thanks.

An iPad battery comes, more-or-less, fully charged. There's no need for any special precautions. Charge as often - or as infrequently - as you like. The iPad is 21st century, so none of those old precautions apply. Apple want you to be happy so they used some ultra-sophisticated battery charging electronics in the iPad. Leave it on charge all day - no problem. Let the battery go completely flat - no problem (though you'll need to charge it before you use it then, even Apple can't control the Laws of Physics - yet!).

But, don't believe me, read the official line...

Apple - Batteries - iPad

Tim

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
Yay!

You can use it right out of the box, I think I did. But I can't remember how much charge it came with ~

But why not just charge it?

Like Mrs P says, use it right out of the box, once it's synced stick it on charge while you play with it......don't forget it has to be plugged into the mains to charge, it won't charge through the USB but it will hold it's charge b

The Archangel

OP
Knightoftheapp

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
An iPad battery comes, more-or-less, fully charged. There's no need for any special precautions. Charge as often - or as infrequently - as you like. The iPad is 21st century, so none of those old precautions apply. Apple want you to be happy so they used some ultra-sophisticated battery charging electronics in the iPad. Leave it on charge all day - no problem. Let the battery go completely flat - no problem (though you'll need to charge it before you use it then, even Apple can't control the Laws of Physics - yet!).

Thank to all of you for your help. This is the first Apple product I've ever bought so I got a lot to learn.

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
it won't charge through the USB but it will hold it's charge b

The Archangel

It will charge from a USB port on a computer but at a slower rate, it says its not charging but it is, it just takes longer, I've read however that if using it while plugged into the USB, depending on what you're running at the time, it may not charge. Apple also recommend running the battery out, and a full recharge once a month to keep the battery meter calibrated. Mine also came fully charged out of the box.

A direct quote from Apples battery page.

Use Your iPad Regularly
For proper reporting of the battery’s state of charge, be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

Last edited:

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gazzaho said:
It will charge from a USB port on a computer but at a slower rate, it says its not charging but it is, it just takes longer, I've read however that if using it while plugged into the USB, depending on what you're running at the time, it may not charge. Apple also recommend running the battery out, and a full recharge once a month to keep the battery meter calibrated.

A friend had a problem with the device's battery meter: no matter how much he charged it, it always showed 2% (obviously not the case). A reset fixed the problem.

SporkLover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's a lithium ion battery; that full charge rule applies to older nickel based batteries.

Nickel based batteries needed this because nickel is a "memory" metal that needed full charge and discharge cycles for it to remember it's capacity.

Lithium based batteries are "smart". They have electronics in them to tell when it's full or discharged. Lithium batteries need to be discharged and charged fully every so often so that the smart circuitry can re calibrate (it will account for any battery degradation, which will happen).

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I ran an iPad1 for last year without a full discharge and no obvious bad effects.
Battery life appears as good as it was when bought.

Most reactions