What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

64GB Model Usage

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
I'm a year in with my 64 gig iPad 2. Been about half way full since the beginning. I've got about 3 films and 15 albums on it - in that time listened to about 5 of them and never once yet watched a film. What am I doing wrong?

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm a year in with my 64 gig iPad 2. Been about half way full since the beginning. I've got about 3 films and 15 albums on it - in that time listened to about 5 of them and never once yet watched a film. What am I doing wrong?

You don't travel enough and get stuck in hotel rooms with nothing better to do. :) (That's a good thing, really.)

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
I guess you're not joking.

Correct. I do like to read on it a fair bit, but my iPad is generally a work horse for me (and a games horse for my nephew). I never take it away on trips or holidays with me, and never find the time to listen to music or watch films on it, even though I use it for 10+ hours a day :p

Hivoltage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 30 Gig left, I am glad I got the 64 I will always have space left!!

L

Lunar

Sounds like you need more leisure time..lol We are retired pensioners, and have a lot of holidays, usually around 8 in a good year. In a few weeks time we are off again for 3 weeks touring, we are driving down to Italy, with a few days in Rome and Venice, back up into Austria, and Switzerland, and I shall be watching quite a few films off my iPad during the trip while in the Hotels. The iPad is also useful for booking the Hotels at our next stop, we used to take along a laptop, but the iPads are ideal.

(We did same run 2 years ago) It's handy too for the odd short break. I hate flying, and as I like driving and cars are another of my passions, if we go to Spain for a few weeks we drive down. Also If one or more of the grandchildren are with us on holiday (about once or twice a year) the iPads get secured to the rear of the headrest so they can watch a film in the rear of the car if they wish, can be handy on long trips. Indeed the wife herself will occasionally sit in the rear and watch a film occasionally.

Admittedly I don't need the 30+ films I've put on mine either, but I regard them as my own personal collection of favourite films, and there's plenty of space for them anyway. I like Wales a lot and holiday on Anglesey a couple times a year, but there's a big wide world to explore outside of Wales. I don't know your age obviously, but I think when you retire, and of course most people tend to have more spare cash by then, then you will perhaps want to get away from home occasionally, so toys like the iPad really come into their own.

Incidently I have a few games on mine too, Rage, Golf, and a couple of Pool/Snooker type games, plus Scrabble and Chess, though I do tend to play Chess more on my iPhone. The wife has her own games on hers. It doesn't matter what you use it for, as long as you or someone else gets pleasure using it, AYS it can be quite a useful business tool as well, though I think compared to a decent laptop or PC it does have limitations, but can still be useful.

Last edited by a moderator:

mandapandalove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just traded my 32 gig ipad for 64 gig one. I put everything on this one that I had on my last one. i have 53 gigs left. But I plan on putting a handful of video clips on it which will bring me down to about 50 gigs. I'm pretty choosey what I put on my ipad. I try not to put just anything it. Its gotta be something worthy or of importance.

Djdan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
About 10 GB left on mine. I'm an app hog with over 500 installed, 5000 pics, and about 1300 songs. Love having it all with me at all times.

Sent from my IPad (3rd Gen)

L

Lunar

I just traded my 32 gig ipad for 64 gig one. I put everything on this one that I had on my last one. i have 53 gigs left. But I plan on putting a handful of video clips on it which will bring me down to about 50 gigs. I'm pretty choosey what I put on my ipad. I try not to put just anything it. Its gotta be something worthy or of importance.

Your 32gb was obviously less than half full, I too try not to keep any rubbish on it, but there will of course be some items which may only get used/seen occasionally. I keep a few HD camcorder clips on mine too which I can share with other members of the family when visiting, but it's a simple matter of deleting stuff when I tire of them..so it's no big deal.

Personally I can't see the point of buying a 64GB version if only 50% ever gets used, as obviously the 32GB model would suffice... I was initially hoping that Apple would increase the memory capacity, so the new range had 32gb & 64gb and 128gb, it would have sort of made the upgrade that little bit more worthwhile.. and giving better value to the lower models too. However, I suppose that was too much to ask, as it would have impacted and killed the iPad 2 market stone dead, it would have meant a even bigger price drop across the iPad 2 range and Apple would'nt want that.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Frankly, I see no point in not using the storage space on your tablet. Saving it is not really doing you any good, you paid for it and it is there. Not using it is really a waste of money. You can always remove content. Nothing really should have to pass an "importance" test. But, it is YOUR device to do with as YOU please. I'm just saying is all.... :)

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Personally I can't see the point of buying a 64GB version if only 50% ever gets used, as obviously the 32GB model would suffice... I was initially hoping that Apple would increase the memory capacity, so the new range had 32gb & 64gb and 128gb, it would have sort of made the upgrade that little bit more worthwhile.. and giving better value to the lower models too. However, I suppose that was too much to ask, as it would have impacted and killed the iPad 2 market stone dead, it would have meant a even bigger price drop across the iPad 2 range and Apple would'nt want that.

Remember, the new iPad cost more to make than the previous models did. Adding a 128 GB model at the same price point would very likely seriously cut into profit margins (and they typically do make more profit on the higher capacity models, anyway). It usually works out that over time, the prices come down so that perhaps next year it will be feasible for apple to offer a 128 GB model. The retina displays will hopefully be cheaper to make by then, too.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like you need more leisure time..lol

Lol. I know what you mean. During my last one-year break from work, I used my iPad so much that I needed a second, so that I'd always have one charged up.

Love to play, but I invariably miss work. Maybe I won't crave the action after a couple more decades. I wonder what kind of tech we'll be using by then.

mandapandalove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never said I wasn't going to ever use my gigs. I just meant I'm not in a rush to do so. I'm glad I got the 64 one. Because I plan on having this a long time. And as time goes by I have the room to add music and apps and still have room for more.

L

Lunar

Remember, the new iPad cost more to make than the previous models did. Adding a 128 GB model at the same price point would very likely seriously cut into profit margins (and they typically do make more profit on the higher capacity models, anyway). It usually works out that over time, the prices come down so that perhaps next year it will be feasible for apple to offer a 128 GB model. The retina displays will hopefully be cheaper to make by then, too.

Your right of course.. But no harm in dreaming or wanting more..lol. Hopefully on future iPads Apple will have added the capability for multiband 4G so users outside of the USA can also benefit from faster available Networks. Certainly with the price of memory falling, I think I'd be a little disappointed if they didn't increase the memory across the range, with 32gb being the starting point. Having now improved the screen, it would seem natural for them to increase it on the next model. IOW don't give all the sweeties to your customer base in one go, especially when the item is selling well, make sure you hold a few back for the next model...ie. natural progression.

Most reactions

Latest posts