What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.3 Bad news

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just spotted this over on 9to5 Mac

Apple has informed developers that the shiny new Multi-Touch gestures for the iPad will not be launching in the public release of iOS 4.3. They say these gestures are simply a developer preview, for now, to see how they work with the iPad’s third-party-apps. iOS 5, perhaps?

This feature will not be enabled in iOS 4.3 for customers, but we are providing this preview to gather input on how these gestures work with your apps.
:(:(:(

On a brighter note 4.3B2 was released

Last edited:

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to agree with digikid. I dint see what this adds...I don't use fancy gesture in apps that offer a choice...keep it simple.

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was hoping for the two finger swipe to multi task, instead of double clicking home button :(

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Those gestures were intended for an iPad that didn't have any buttons, so either the iPad2 will have them or we'll get thru a couple of more versions of iOS4 by its launch.

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have to agree with digikid. I dint see what this adds...I don't use fancy gesture in apps that offer a choice...keep it simple.

Before using a Mac for the first time a year ago, I had no idea that I would like using the gestures so much that using a windows pad or mouse is just hard to do.

Who knows what new things they are thinking up, I am certainly not going to say that I am not going to use new things because I am happy with what I am doing now. We would still be riding horse because why do we need a car??

leey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To me , the gestures make no much difference, just have Multi-Touch is OK.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have the standalone trackpad and find the gestures almost second nature now. They definitely have a future with tablets, but doubt they'll be in the next iteration.
Probably intended for iOS 5.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
While it may seem so now, I think more options make for a more robust device with more possibilities....we'll see

Totally agree. For one, the home buttons on iDevices have proven to one of the components with the shortest life (I've worn out a 3GS button before multitasking even came along). My iPad button is showing signs of wear after 5 months. Gestures at least allow you to press that button less.

Also, there have been usability concerns for the less able bodied. A double click is not always an easy action for certain types of disability, although I am the first to concede that a four / five finger gesture could be equally as challenging in some cases...

That said, having choice is where I like to position myself. There is absolutely no harm in having the choice there. If you like it, use it, if not, ignore it.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
While it may seem so now, I think more options make for a more robust device with more possibilities....we'll see

Totally agree. For one, the home buttons on iDevices have proven to one of the components with the shortest life (I've worn out a 3GS button before multitasking even came along). My iPad button is showing signs of wear after 5 months. Gestures at least allow you to press that button less.

Also, there have been usability concerns for the less able bodied. A double click is not always an easy action for certain types of disability, although I am the first to concede that a four / five finger gesture could be equally as challenging in some cases...

That said, having choice is where I like to position myself. There is absolutely no harm in having the choice there. If you like it, use it, if not, ignore it.

Agreed. Especially given that these multi touch gestures were an option under settings to start with so you could disable them if they don't do it for you.

drosenth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a developer I have to ask really how many multi touch gestures will people remeber anyway.. We don't them all so it' all good.

I REALLY wanted this Feature as the sound of the button click is distracting in meetings. A real bummer for me if they are left out long term.

My 2c
DaveR

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a developer I have to ask really how many multi touch gestures will people remeber anyway.. We don't them all so it' all good.

I REALLY wanted this Feature as the sound of the button click is distracting in meetings. A real bummer for me if they are left out long term.

My 2c
DaveR

Then something is wrong with your iPad because they generally do not make noise.

Most reactions

Latest posts