What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 questions from a n00b

casper55117

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1st regarding jailbreaking the ipad 1. on 5.1 redsn0w or sn0wbreeze
2nd will i lose apps while jailbreaking. if so is there a way to back them up
3rd. i know that the only jailbreak for 5.1 is tethered. do i need to be tethered when waking from a sleep state? or just from full power off

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
1st regarding jailbreaking the ipad 1. on 5.1 redsn0w or sn0wbreeze

Here's a tutorial to walk you through the steps of jail breaking your iPad1 on redsn0w: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?p=339425

Then, here's one for jail breaking with sn0wbreeze (Windows only): http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?p=187337

You'll have to decide which one to use. They both do the job and once the iPad1 is jail broken, it doesn't matter which method you used.

2nd will i lose apps while jailbreaking. if so is there a way to back them up

You shouldn't lose your apps if you have iOS 5.1 firmware on the iPad1 and jail break. If you are upgrading to that iOS, do a backup in iTunes, then you can restore from backup. Everything will be put back on the iPad...

3rd. i know that the only jailbreak for 5.1 is tethered. do i need to be tethered when waking from a sleep state? or just from full power off

You'll only need to do the tether when coming from a full power off or after a reset (aka reboot). Turning on after a sleep state does not require tethering.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

P.S. Given that this post talks about jail braking, I've taken the liberty of moving it over to the Hacking section of this forum. Thanks for your understanding.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Minor update to what Marilyn answered... ;)

If you use sn0wbreeze you WILL have to reinstall all your apps, since it is a custom firmware style jailbreak (a full OS restore is part of the process).

redsn0w is the better approach IF you already have 5.1 with your apps installed and set up as you want as it deploys over the top of what you have.

Based on the limited info provided, it sounds like redsn0w is your best bet.

Either way you can always get your apps and data back from iTunes and your backup. You backup using iTunes or iCloud (depending which you are using today) as normal. :D

Last edited:
OP
C

casper55117

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Minor update to what Marilyn answered... ;)

If you use sn0wbreeze you WILL have to reinstall all your apps, since it is a custom firmware style jailbreak (a full OS restore is part of the process).

redsn0w is the better approach IF you already have 5.1 with your apps installed and set up as you want as it deploys over the top of what you have.

Based on the limited info provided, it sounds like redsn0w is your best bet.

Either way you can always get your apps and data back from iTunes and your backup. You backup using iTunes or iCloud (depending which you are using today) as normal. :D
sorry about the limited info. yes the ipad is on 5.1 it has a few paid apps that i would like to keep on it.is there any other info i should provide when asking this question? judging by what you said redsn0w would be my best bet. thank you for the info. i appreciate it a lot.

Most reactions

Latest posts