Will the Apple Magic Trackpad work with the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by jwt873, Sep 13, 2010.

1. jwt873

jwt873
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I was at my local Apple Store looking at the Macs. I discovered that Macs have an optional trackpad that takes the place of a mouse. The trackpad matches the Apple wireless bluetooth keyboard and allows wireless point and click control on the Mac... Read about it in the link below:

Apple - Magic Trackpad - The Multi-Touch trackpad for your desktop.

I was wondering if it would work with the iPad. I asked a couple of employees at the Apple Store and they didn't know. Has anyone here ever managed to pair one of these with their iPad?

2. freekyFX4

freekyFX4
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    What did the Apple Geniuses at the store say when you asked them?

Nevermind, I just saw that the geniuses didn't know...

3. Prasius

Prasius
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    A) why would you want to?
    B) what, exactly, are you going to "point & click" with?

Based upon the fact the iPad doesn't have a mouse pointer, I'd suggest, no.

4. Hasty

Hasty
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Well he could try pointing and clicking on those forum navigation buttons for a start! :)

Bloody annoying vbulletin........get with the program.

5. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Why would you want to it is a different type of computer simple as that

6. iVan

iVan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    It wouldn't work, the iPad doesn't use cursors. Any pointing device is out of the question.

7. AVService

AVService
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    What exactly would you use another Touch device to do??????
    The iPad ALREADY does this.

Also this has already been discussed.....Try using the "Search" function,Really.

8. jwt873

jwt873
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I searched for 'Trackpad' prior to posting, but there is absolutely nothing on the forum about this device.. (What else should I search for?)

It's true that there is no cursor on the iPad but I was wondering if the left/right scrolling or the two finger pinch/expand would work with the device.. (I have an Apple Bluetooth keyboard and find it handy... It saves poking at the screen)..

I thought it would be nice if I could add the Bluetooth Apple Trackpad to scroll up/down/left/right and expand/collapse images without poking at the iPad screen.. But, I guess such a thought borders on pure insanity that is beyond the realm of comprehension.

If I do find out whether or not the device works, I'll post back here :)

9. AVService

AVService
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:

I simply can not understand why you would need to control a small portable device with another small portable device?

The iPad is designed to use your fingers to "Poke" it so go ahead and do so?!?

What conceivable extra would you get from the Trackpad except more gadget,which I understand for sure.

I really just do not get it?

10. indychuck

indychuck
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure why everyone assumes that people might not want a curser at certain times with a ipad. Try this: traveling, working on a document (especially a spreadsheet). You set up your ipad on a stand, then use your wireless keyboard (now you have more screen), your magic mouse or trackpad and work away just like you have a laptop. Try touching the ipad on its stand to place your insertion point in a line of text, highlight a sentence or two, place it in a spreadsheet cell...you'll realize right away why it would be nice to be able to move a curser on the screen with a mouse or trackpad. Obviously you won't want to use it this way all the time, but there are certainly times where this would be a much better way to use your ipad. So then you get done with your work, lay down and browse, use your apps, email, etc in standard ipad mode. Best of both worlds. Also, once this capability is part of the os vs. jailbreak, developers will no doubt come up with some great apps that can take advantage.