What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the Apple Magic Trackpad work with the iPad?

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was at my local Apple Store looking at the Macs. I discovered that Macs have an optional trackpad that takes the place of a mouse. The trackpad matches the Apple wireless bluetooth keyboard and allows wireless point and click control on the Mac... Read about it in the link below:

Apple - Magic Trackpad - The Multi-Touch trackpad for your desktop.

I was wondering if it would work with the iPad. I asked a couple of employees at the Apple Store and they didn't know. Has anyone here ever managed to pair one of these with their iPad?

freekyFX4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What did the Apple Geniuses at the store say when you asked them?

Nevermind, I just saw that the geniuses didn't know...

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A) why would you want to?
B) what, exactly, are you going to "point & click" with?

Based upon the fact the iPad doesn't have a mouse pointer, I'd suggest, no.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well he could try pointing and clicking on those forum navigation buttons for a start! :)

Bloody annoying vbulletin........get with the program.

AVService

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What exactly would you use another Touch device to do??????
The iPad ALREADY does this.

Also this has already been discussed.....Try using the "Search" function,Really.

OP
jwt873

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I searched for 'Trackpad' prior to posting, but there is absolutely nothing on the forum about this device.. (What else should I search for?)

It's true that there is no cursor on the iPad but I was wondering if the left/right scrolling or the two finger pinch/expand would work with the device.. (I have an Apple Bluetooth keyboard and find it handy... It saves poking at the screen)..

I thought it would be nice if I could add the Bluetooth Apple Trackpad to scroll up/down/left/right and expand/collapse images without poking at the iPad screen.. But, I guess such a thought borders on pure insanity that is beyond the realm of comprehension.

If I do find out whether or not the device works, I'll post back here :)

AVService

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I searched for 'Trackpad' prior to posting, but there is absolutely nothing on the forum about this device.. (What else should I search for?)

It's true that there is no cursor on the iPad but I was wondering if the left/right scrolling or the two finger pinch/expand would work with the device.. (I have an Apple Bluetooth keyboard and find it handy... It saves poking at the screen)..

I thought it would be nice if I could add the Bluetooth Apple Trackpad to scroll up/down/left/right and expand/collapse images without poking at the iPad screen.. But, I guess such a thought borders on pure insanity that is beyond the realm of comprehension.

I simply can not understand why you would need to control a small portable device with another small portable device?

The iPad is designed to use your fingers to "Poke" it so go ahead and do so?!?

What conceivable extra would you get from the Trackpad except more gadget,which I understand for sure.

I really just do not get it?

indychuck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure why everyone assumes that people might not want a curser at certain times with a ipad. Try this: traveling, working on a document (especially a spreadsheet). You set up your ipad on a stand, then use your wireless keyboard (now you have more screen), your magic mouse or trackpad and work away just like you have a laptop. Try touching the ipad on its stand to place your insertion point in a line of text, highlight a sentence or two, place it in a spreadsheet cell...you'll realize right away why it would be nice to be able to move a curser on the screen with a mouse or trackpad. Obviously you won't want to use it this way all the time, but there are certainly times where this would be a much better way to use your ipad. So then you get done with your work, lay down and browse, use your apps, email, etc in standard ipad mode. Best of both worlds. Also, once this capability is part of the os vs. jailbreak, developers will no doubt come up with some great apps that can take advantage.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
I think the answer to this question is the Air. I got the iPad over the much less expensive netbooks so I didnt have to carry so much around (keyboard, mouse, power cable,etc.)

At this point, you have a very expensive netbook

Edit, I was only referring to the post right above mine.

indychuck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, i just don't agree with the expensive netbook. I have a device that is easy to use, carry around, has a million apps, will let me watch movies, read books, listen to books, do gps while traveling, ect. I just want to add some more flexibility by being able to make it friendlier in terms of working on docs. I don't want to jailbreak it, so i want apple to add the capability to the os. The hardware on both sides has the capability

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmm just thinking of that trackpad and what a neat minimalistic monitor the iPad would make with a mac mini.....

Time to reclaim the desktop.

riverjohn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - a mouse or cursor is logical when using an RDP

I simply can not understand why you would need to control a small portable device with another small portable device?

The iPad is designed to use your fingers to "Poke" it so go ahead and do so?!?

What conceivable extra would you get from the Trackpad except more gadget,which I understand for sure.

I really just do not get it?

You may not be aware of the many applications "other" people use. Remember you are not alone in this world.

In my case I would like a device other than reaching for the screen to highlight and click areas of "Quickbooks" which resides on my office server. I have the RDP (itap remote desktop) installed on my ipad and will be curious to try it all out once my keyboard arrives.

I can tell you that there are very small areas of having to do tap/clicks with large hands...no problem here and there, but for repetitive entry it could prove quite cumbersome. One does not have the time to always zoom each entry box to allow for a precise tap.

I would suggest a bit more open mindedness, something most Apple users are known for. ;)

Rubenz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same doubt myself, I agree with indychuck that there are some situations in which would be nice to use both keyboard and trackpad to have the full screen available, if some one knows anything about this, please let us know... Regards

Most reactions

Latest posts