What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the Apple Magic Trackpad work with the iPad?

jdh1031

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What about AirPlay

I would like to use AirPlay And Appletv to see iPad on big screen tv and use magic trackpad to navigate

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If there is no cursor then what do you think a touch pad will do for you? It has no function on an iPad. Get a Bluetooth keyboard if toy want a cursor. Note, this probably would work on an android tablet as when you connect a mouse a cursor appears and you can hen mouse around, and if you mouse around you can trackpad around too.

gabey8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would love the ability to use a trackpad with the iPad. It would speed up my text input if my hands didn't have to keep jumping from the keyboard to the screen and back to the keyboard. Honestly, that's the ONE feature of my laptop that I miss -- the ability to at least create a mouse pointer when I pair a BT device to my iPad. Heck, even my ancient WinCE phones could do that.

I'm hoping that the use of iPads in the workplace and in professional settings will become SO commonplace, that Apple offers us the option to use a trackpad, wireless mouse, etc. if we want to. If Apple were to implement support for this, we could have the best of both worlds. I'm envisioning the scenario where if we pair a mouse/trackpad with the iDevice, a mouse pointer would appear; if not, then there's no mouse pointer. Win/win, if Apple sees the light on this issue.

I'm optimistic... after all, didn't the first iPhone lack things like copy and paste? Those features were originally declared "not necessary"... but Apple decided otherwise later, and added those abilities. Why shouldn't the iPad's capabilities evolve in a similar fashion to include a mouse pointer?

Tusarari

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try to the ipad insertion point on the contact position to be placed in a line of text, highlight a word or two, and place it in a spreadsheet cell.

h4wk1n5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using btstack keyboard and mouse from cydia and it works just fine with a bluetooth keyboard and the magic trackpad, I had to pay $5 for the app but is really worth it, only caveat is that gestures will not work on the trackpad, or at least I haven't found how to.

DecSkinner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mr LawPad2 - you are awesome. I see 90% of the whining comes from people who ask "why?" or "that's not in the design". Yes, wading through is a waste of my time.

I too want a mouse option for my iPad. Badly. Why? Fingerprint smudges!!! Nothing kills a coffee shop (or a boardroom) presention faster than passing around a fingerprint smudged screen with your idea/point on it. It looks dirty, unprofessional and will not get you that first date, promotion or contract. Also while the iPad is in the hands of the CEO you don't have to lean over,reach to invade your boss's personal space. You just use the tracking device.

So then nobody notices your watch is a knockoff because it's not in their face or your half missing finger (ala Yakuza) or your after lunch onion breath (proving you're not from Hollywood as claimed). So yes, I want a mouse for my iPad.

Speaking of Hollywood, I must comment how most (Apple) forum comments remind me of that mummy movie where everyone chants "Imhotep Imhotep" with blank stares. And they're all walking towards you!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DecSkinner said:
Mr LawPad2 - you are awesome. I see 90% of the whining comes from people who ask "why?" or "that's not in the design". Yes, wading through is a waste of my time.

I too want a mouse option for my iPad. Badly. Why? Fingerprint smudges!!! Nothing kills a coffee shop (or a boardroom) presention faster than passing around a fingerprint smudged screen with your idea/point on it. It looks dirty, unprofessional and will not get you that first date, promotion or contract. Also while the iPad is in the hands of the CEO you don't have to lean over,reach to invade your boss's personal space. You just use the tracking device.

So then nobody notices your watch is a knockoff because it's not in their face or your half missing finger (ala Yakuza) or your after lunch onion breath (proving you're not from Hollywood as claimed). So yes, I want a mouse for my iPad.

Speaking of Hollywood, I must comment how most (Apple) forum comments remind me of that mummy movie where everyone chants "Imhotep Imhotep" with blank stares. And they're all walking towards you!

Get an android.

ziffos

iPF Noob
Reaction score

@DecSkinner - I love your response - perfect

The only option I can offer is that you Jailbreak your iPad and then get the Mouse Bluetooth Stack - mouse or trackpad then work perfectly.

Most reactions

Latest posts