What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi Sync

TrxSlash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you manually move the music you want? Or does it need to be sync all? There are some songs I want....mine, and ones I don't....my wife's, I don't need to explain to my friends why I have Hanna montanna or whatever on my iPad.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
EDIT: just re-read what it says.... 'automatically' sync when plugged into power, so it's not saying 'only' when plugged in, but rather you can do it manually whilst on battery power, not automatically.

Exactly. The power requirement for automatic is so your iPad doesn't die during a sync and cause corrupted files; if you're doing it manually, Apple's assuming you know what you're doing and doesn't demand you plug in.

kspector

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just figured it out. Plug your Ipad into your system and in the Summary tab of your device, go to Options and check the box "Sync with this Ipad over wi-fi". Click apply and then unplug the ipad and shut down iTunes. Plug the device into the power unit and start iTunes. Give it a few seconds then you should see the Sync Now button working. If you leave it alone for ab bit, it will sync on it's own.

I tried this.....I have selected "Sync with the iPad over wi-fi" and it still won't work. Any thoughts??

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
mine works nice, but my issue is this -

to get it working (after the above steps mentioned have been carried out) the ipad has to physically be switched off/on each time. every time i switch on my mac and itunes, i must also cold boot my ipad too for the two to recognize each other. i thought perhaps switching airplane mode on/off would work, but it doesnt. it needs a complete new re-boot for the ipad. not really an issue, but a faff all the same.

any suggestions?

Beerman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, sjleworthy is correct. You do have to turn the ipad and itunes off and start over. I didn't have to but other posts I've read on another forum have mentioned this.

BKWil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone come across the issue that it fails to sync your apps, or it syncs the ipads but they are no longer in the folders you created? I had to restore once last night when I noticed that my apps were missing and everything was back to normal. This morning I grab it, run out the door get to work open it and the applications are no longer in their folders. :-( Wondering what step I may have missed.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mine syncs both devices fine - my sole problem (which others seem to be having) is it tries to sync constantly, rather than once a day when it's plugged in. This kills battery life and keeps loading iTunes on my home computer. I had to disable the auto-sync function.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That depends on what you're looking for from it. It syncs wirelessly, and with iOS 5 I no longer have to wait for it to finish syncing before I can use it - two big gains in my book. The sole difference is that now it doesn't sync until I load iTunes and tell it to, which I actually prefer. The improvement needed for auto-sync is a scheduler, rather than the iPad simply trying to load iTunes and sync all the time, regardless of what I'm doing.

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
epb said:
That depends on what you're looking for from it. It syncs wirelessly, and with iOS 5 I no longer have to wait for it to finish syncing before I can use it - two big gains in my book. The sole difference is that now it doesn't sync until I load iTunes and tell it to, which I actually prefer. The improvement needed for auto-sync is a scheduler, rather than the iPad simply trying to load iTunes and sync all the time, regardless of what I'm doing.

Epd, that's a great idea, a scheduler. You should submit as an enhancement.

deaconwc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found a suggestion on another forum that worked for me. With the device connected via usb, in iTunes, on the Summary tab make sure the box "Open iTunes when this iPad (iPhone) is connected" is unchecked. If the box is checked, uncheck it and click the Apply button. Close iTunes, turn off the device and then open iTunes and turn the device on.
Hope it works for you. Be sure to do this for each device.

kspector

iPF Noob
Reaction score
deaconwc said:
I found a suggestion on another forum that worked for me. With the device connected via usb, in iTunes, on the Summary tab make sure the box "Open iTunes when this iPad (iPhone) is connected" is unchecked. If the box is checked, uncheck it and click the Apply button. Close iTunes, turn off the device and then open iTunes and turn the device on.
Hope it works for you. Be sure to do this for each device.

Thanks but this didn't help either. The Sync Now button is still grayed out.
My laptop has wifi and is wired to my router. Does it have to be JUST connected to the network by wifi or can the LAN cable be connected too?

Nothing seems to work

jrstar7171

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do get out of the cloud and back till they fix it. Some apps won't work at all.
Hope I can run the backup or is it stuck once your in IOS5? I got three devices on
the same account. Maybe they did not allow for this.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts