What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Jailbreak???

Gary_P

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a total Noob to the ipad, I am hearing and seeing the term Jailbreak all over.

In very simple laymans terms can someone explain WHY I would want to jailbreak. What does it do? What are the benefits?

Lets assume I jailbreak my iPad today ... I sit back and say "Ok, now this baby is JailBroken, now I can (insert unbelievably cool benefits here)"

Thanks guys!

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Haven't read of unbelievably cool benefit yet but let me know if you hear one.

jlr1516

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I jailbroke mine so I can have a huge GPS screen GPS system even without 3G model..

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Four primary reasons for jailbreaking:

1.) Being able to install apps that are simply not possible from the app store.

2.) Being able to customize in ways not possible with a stock iPad.

3.) Being able to access the file system directly.

4.) Being able to thumb your nose at Apple's strict control... just because you can.

Michael

locus

iPF Noob
Reaction score

4.) Being able to thumb your nose at Apple's strict control... just because you can.

Michael

Love number 4, that's a reason I do it to lol.

kvizzel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"TEST" out games before buying.

Customize your iPad to certain degrees, most people don't make iPad themes, but if your good with photoshop you can make cool things.

I use Display Out a lot, the ability to show your iPad on a tv/monitor/projector etc.

Lots and lots of positives.

No really negatives really.

Mossi

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Michael

Love number 4, that's a reason I do it to lol.
I'd love to have the GPS, but your #4 is enough. Personally, I havent done the JB yet, but I will most likely just install a GPS into my car and forget the JB.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because it was necessary to have the device functional on 3.2, and its necessary to "downgrade" the nonsense Apple pulled with regards to the orientation lock with 4.2.1.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am interested in jailbreaking my iPad. Any thoughts?
Its your iPad. You own it. Do whatever you want with it! The absolute worst thing that will happen is that you won't like it for some reason and then you can always restore your iPad back to iOS 4.2.1.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because it was necessary to have the device functional on 3.2, and its necessary to "downgrade" the nonsense Apple pulled with regards to the orientation lock with 4.2.1.

LOL. I still can't believe people are getting so riled up over one little switch being moved to software instead of hardware.

Double click home button, swipe, tap. Locked. Not as easy as the switch, but not the end of the world by any means.

FatalDesain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jailbreaking is so easy that once you do it you would think why you never did before. It takes a couple of minutes and ipad runs exactly the same.

The reason you should do it is up to you but I can't find one reason why you shouldn't except for blind love for steve jobs and apple.

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
multitasking was a big one for me,which is now a moot point.

Most reactions

Latest posts