What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are the Benefits of jailbreaking?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem with your example is the corvette is already at its peak performance so its good stock but the iPad is not at its peak as stock.
Not even close to peak performance! The Corvette is made for the "average" person to be able to handle. It is a "consumer grade" sports car off the showroom floor.

Oh, I forgot. Yea, you might need an engineering degree to modify a corvette but a monkey can visit a website to jailbreak an ipad.
Well that's why you see so many, "How come my iPad doesn't work since I jailbroke?" posts in this forum. All you have to do to jailbreak is visit a website, but you do need to have some "computer smarts" to actually manage your iPad once it is jailbroken. When someone posts things like, "I just bought an iPad and it is my first Apple mobile device and I need to jailbreak it. How do I do this?" is a recipe for disaster IMHO.

There are tons of tutorials and instructions out there, but unfortunately, very few people read them! But that's OK, that's what forums are for!

djricekcn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you arne't protected by apple, meaning there is no guarantee's that all things yuo download and use will work + there's a possibility bricking it

There is no such thing as a brick for iDevices.
I so called "bricked" my daughters iPhone the other week and its working fine now.
There is a mode called DFU mode which will restore it. So if you can get in DFU mode there is no chance of bricking it.

I had it not turn on, no apple logo no nothing. It got into DFU mode and I restored it. No problems.

I've been modding/jailbreaking iPhones for 2+ years and I've never bricked an iPhone.

You can brick any devices if you do one thing wrong, not everything is restorable.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can brick any devices if you do one thing wrong, not everything is restorable.

That is true. If you drop or otherwise physically damage the device to the point that it won't power up, you have a "bricked" device. I have yet to see an actual confirmed case of someone bricking their iOS device through a botched jailbreak attempt.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea if that "one thing" is dropping it in a vat of hydrochloric acid.

But as it relates to this discussion your comment is pure FUD.

The simple fact is that one of the riskiest things you can do to an iOS device is updating the firmware.... firmware blessed by and delivered to you by Apple. Simply accidentally unplugging the device while a firmware update is being loaded would make it a "brick" if your assertion were true. But it is not true: there is a bootrom in iOS devices that is not affected by anything--it is permanent and can always be used to restore the device. Because of that there is NO SUCH THING as a brick, from anything you do software wise. Period.

Michael

NakedFaerie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
^ EXACTLY.

If everyone read before jumping into whatever things would turn out differently. There would be no stupid posts in forums. The reason for those stupid posts are 99% of the time from stupid people that don't read.
To jailbreak iPad firmware 3.2.1 all you have to do is goto the website, slide and wait. Thats it. How hard is that?
You cant brick it, and after you've jailbreaked it you can break things that force you to restore but its not easy. You need to install 3rd party apps and do the wrong thing.

As I said, for the last 2+ years I've jailbroken iPhones/iPods and I'm the only person I know with an iPad so I have only jailbroken 1 and so far I've not bricked it and a lot of the iphones I jailbroke are still working fine. Some have come back as the customer upgraded coz iTunes told it to. Thats how they break, not my jailbreaking it by Apple forcing upgrades and people NOT READING and clicking YES.

If you have a jailbreak iDevice the best thing to do is turn OFF automatic updates. Then you will keep your jailbreak and be happy with your iDevice.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot. Yea, you might need an engineering degree to modify a corvette but a monkey can visit a website to jailbreak an ipad.

That’s is 100% wrong …. i JB more iOs device than device you will buy in your entire life (business purpose) …. JB is no so simple as you say and play with when your device is JB need so level in computing …. not only download and SSH client and play ….

NakedFaerie

iPF Noob
Reaction score

That’s is 100% wrong …. i JB more iOs device than device you will buy in your entire life (business purpose) …. JB is no so simple as you say and play with when your device is JB need so level in computing …. not only download and SSH client and play ….

Wow, if you believe that then I feel sorry for your customers as they are risking their idevices coming to you.

Jailbreaking is easy and the only problems are morons that don't READ before doing it and they are causing jailbreak to have a bad name.
As I said previously, if your on 3.2.1 and you visit JailbreakMe then you are jailbreaked after you swipe. its so simple. How can you go wrong?

djricekcn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it's only easy for you because you understand, if you don't then it's not. simple as that. why do you think there's a service like "geek squad" at best buy?

Afide

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it's only easy for you because you understand, if you don't then it's not. simple as that. why do you think there's a service like "geek squad" at best buy?

Although I agree with your statement in general, jailbreaking an iDevice is easier than ever. As he said, JailbreakMe only requires a swipe. And Spirit only requires you to push a button. I think the real issue is that these people who are new to jailbreaking have no idea what to do after they have jailbroken their iDevice. If they were to just use google, or these forums to read up a little, then they would have no issue. If they are puting a 600$+ investment in jeopardy, why wouldn't they? If they "break" their iDevice out of stupidity and negligence.. why should we care?

Anyways, that kinda turned into a rant, but JB'n isn't hard dude.

Last edited:

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Although I agree with your statement in general, jailbreaking an iDevice is easier than ever. As he said, JailbreakMe only requires a swipe. And Spirit only requires you to push a button. I think the real issue is that these people who are new to jailbreaking have no idea what to do after they have jailbroken their iDevice. If they were to just use google, or these forums to read up a little, then they would have no issue. If they are puting a 600$+ investment in jeopardy, why wouldn't they? If they "break" their iDevice out of stupidity and negligence.. why should we care?

I agree with you, in the past also is not so complicated (we use Zibri), but the problem is what you do after with your device JB …. in the past we are forced to have Iphone JB as the 1 & 2 gen are locked and we have to wait the version 2.0 so see it appear and factory unlock (only 3G at that time) . Yet i didn’t see big interest to JB a iDevice, only if you got one locked from US by example or if you want to use other network than ATT … but concerning the ipad i didn’t see interest … maybe that will be more useful in the new Apple TV this is only based on the app’s will be developed …

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it is important to realize where everyone is coming from here. It sounds to me like IpadOne has a lot of experience with jailbreaking the actual iPhone, and that requires much more attention than devices like the Ipad or Ipod Touch. When you hack the iPhone, you have to be careful not to lose baseband support or else you won't be able to use the actual phone portion of your device.

In regards to not seeing an actual benefit to the JB of other iDevices, that is something up to each individual. Just having access to the file system is enough reason for me to JB all of my devices, but then again I have actual reasons to do so. For other people, perhaps the JB is of little benefit. It does require the user to practice a little due diligence to understand exactly what JB is and what it is not. If you are perfectly happy with the stock formware, there is no reason to jailbreak it. If you are wishing for extra features, check with the jailbreak community and see if you can gain them. Regardless, if you decide it isn't worth it after the fact, removing the JB is dead simple.

djricekcn

iPF Noob
Reaction score

rmemebr that there are people out there who still says "where is the any key, i can't find it" yet they know how to use facebook and other social network (not necessarily in a safe way though)

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it is important to realize where everyone is coming from here. It sounds to me like IpadOne has a lot of experience with jailbreaking the actual iPhone, and that requires much more attention than devices like the Ipad or Ipod Touch. When you hack the iPhone, you have to be careful not to lose baseband support or else you won't be able to use the actual phone portion of your device.

In regards to not seeing an actual benefit to the JB of other iDevices, that is something up to each individual. Just having access to the file system is enough reason for me to JB all of my devices, but then again I have actual reasons to do so. For other people, perhaps the JB is of little benefit. It does require the user to practice a little due diligence to understand exactly what JB is and what it is not. If you are perfectly happy with the stock formware, there is no reason to jailbreak it. If you are wishing for extra features, check with the jailbreak community and see if you can gain them. Regardless, if you decide it isn't worth it after the fact, removing the JB is dead simple.

Hi Dave, you made a clear resume of the situation , but you forgot the point noticed in the post bellow … many people will say : "Hello i have JB my iPad , i see cydia but i can’t find any interesting app’s “

That’s the first … the second is you can’t deny play in SSH is not that safe at all

let me give you my example: I use my personal iPad (we have many) for working when i am outside (witch is 40 >50% of my time) i complain i can’t bring file in my device don’t be recognize by app’s inside: Like The C.A.D file , or INDD …. even i know well how play JB, i didn’t take the risk, of course it’s a my choice but it’s a reasonable choice …

The digital file in the Era of today it’s look like easy to play with … but only if you have the level for and if you know clearly the risk and advantage

rmemebr that there are people out there who still says "where is the any key, i can't find it" yet they know how to use facebook and other social network (not necessarily in a safe way though)

Most reactions

Latest posts