What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why did you jailbreak?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know the mods are thinking "oh no". But this thread will be different than "what should I get when I jailbreak" or whatever. I want to know specifically why you jailbroke. Did you see it on the Internet, a forum, or did you hear about it from a friend? Did you hear a specific tweak or hack that persuaded you? What made you want to show apple they can't control everything, and void your warranty? :)

I heard about ibluever. Loved it from the beginning. I have a verizon cheapo phone with unlimited data, but I have a wifi only iPad. So, Bluetooth tethering was my pusher. Love being able to surf anywhere for $10 a month for unlimited data instead of buying a $600 ipad with 3G and signing a contract.
And I always like to hack stuff, just because I can. :D

Last edited:

Fr0st

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The reason why I decided to Jailbreak my iPad is the same reason why I hacked/cracked/modified any piece of electronic that fell into my hands:

Experimentation! Just because someone manufactured a product for a certain purpose, does not mean you can not find another -sometimes better- use for it! :D *Remembers the good times spent hacking PSP*

The iPad (as it was manufactured) was limited to a specific market, however when JB was out it opened the floodgates and coincidently generated more sales! I personally believe that Apple should be thankful that JB was created! I am one of those people the flood gates pulled in, since it has become a massive platform for beta testers.

However if it is a specific feature that pulled me in hook, line, and sinker? It was the mobile terminal. :p

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm with Fr0st on this one...

I jailbroke because "it was there." I've never been one to leave stuff alone, so, when I gathered up enough courage (Hey! It's a $800+ device! :D), I jail broke it.

Now, armed with the knowledge I can always go back to stock and start all over again - I'm willing to try almost any tweak available for the iPad.

So, essentially, the answer is because I could and because it's fun! I enjoy fiddling with it...

Oh, and now? With SBSettings, Overboard, Activator and Smartscreen - so glad I "experimented"!

Marilyn

Fr0st

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
For me, I've been hacking Apple devices since I first installed iPodLinux on my iPod Classic 3 in 2003

iPodLinux! I have known you well...too bad the project died though...;(

OP
graywolf

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fr0st said:
The reason why I decided to Jailbreak my iPad is the same reason why I hacked/cracked/modified any piece of electronic that fell into my hands:

Experimentation! Just because someone manufactured a product for a certain purpose, does not mean you can not find another -sometimes better- use for it! :D *Remembers the good times spent hacking PSP*

The iPad (as it was manufactured) was limited to a specific market, however when JB was out it opened the floodgates and coincidently generated more sales! I personally believe that Apple should be thankful that JB was created! I am one of those people the flood gates pulled in, since it has become a massive platform for beta testers.

However if it is a specific feature that pulled me in hook, line, and sinker? It was the mobile terminal. :p

I'm with you and Mickey. That is always a reason. I have been jailbreaking my ps3 every time a new software update came out for it just to make sure my jailbreak method worked. And it still does. :)
I may not have a reason to hack, I just do it because I can.

arbor53

iPF Noob
Reaction score
graywolf said:
I'm with you and Mickey. That is always a reason. I have been jailbreaking my ps3 every time a new software update came out for it just to make sure my jailbreak method worked. And it still does. :)
I may not have a reason to hack, I just do it because I can.

Greywolf is there any chance you can pm me a link or info on the ps3 jailbreak if it's not against the rules, I've been trying to find out from google but it takes forever to go through all the garbage on there.
sorry for being off topic so ill add the reason I jailbreak is because I can. I swap between iOS and jailbreak because I get bored and it gives me something to do

sent from my brain

Last edited:

Obsidian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's the specific tweaks that make life easier for me. Also, you don't void your warranty. You can always revert right back to apple software by reloading from itunes.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I decided to jailbreak my iPhone (waiting for the iPad 2 JB) when I started reading about all the tweaks in Cydia (not to mention the other apps that Apple blocked that could be found in Cydia). Honestly there are some great tweaks that I think should have been apart of the OS like SBSettings and being able to set up notifications on the lock screen like Intelliscreen. It just makes tasks simpler which is what a smartphone is supposed to do. And like a kid when you're told your not supposed to do something it kind of makes you want to do it even more :)

Max Death

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:pI jailbroke because I'm too use to the freedom allowed by a PC.
Jobs may not want you inside the file system or able to change his vision of what the Ipad should be, but that does not make him J.C.
:D thanks to Ifile and a few other apps this thing feels more like a computer than a toy. Now if we could just get flash it would be a computer.

hkopay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I jail break because I can too. ~edited by moderator~ Now I can work on others iPhones, because I can and it's fun

Last edited by a moderator:

ALcH3Mi5T

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never used any apple devices until the first iPhone. I began jb with that one mainly for themes and personalization. Now I jailbreak the phone and iPad purely for functionality. I don't even bother installing winter board now ;). The iPhone I do because of tethering and iblacklist... The iPad for apps and tools.

Most reactions

Latest posts