1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Why did you jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by graywolf, Jun 10, 2011.

1. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    I know the mods are thinking "oh no". But this thread will be different than "what should I get when I jailbreak" or whatever. I want to know specifically why you jailbroke. Did you see it on the Internet, a forum, or did you hear about it from a friend? Did you hear a specific tweak or hack that persuaded you? What made you want to show apple they can't control everything, and void your warranty? :)

I heard about ibluever. Loved it from the beginning. I have a verizon cheapo phone with unlimited data, but I have a wifi only iPad. So, Bluetooth tethering was my pusher. Love being able to surf anywhere for $10 a month for unlimited data instead of buying a $600 ipad with 3G and signing a contract.
    And I always like to hack stuff, just because I can. :D
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  2. Fr0st

Fr0st iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The reason why I decided to Jailbreak my iPad is the same reason why I hacked/cracked/modified any piece of electronic that fell into my hands:

Experimentation! Just because someone manufactured a product for a certain purpose, does not mean you can not find another -sometimes better- use for it! :D *Remembers the good times spent hacking PSP*

The iPad (as it was manufactured) was limited to a specific market, however when JB was out it opened the floodgates and coincidently generated more sales! I personally believe that Apple should be thankful that JB was created! I am one of those people the flood gates pulled in, since it has become a massive platform for beta testers.

However if it is a specific feature that pulled me in hook, line, and sinker? It was the mobile terminal. :p
  3. Mickey330

Mickey330 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,663 / 0
    I'm with Fr0st on this one...

I jailbroke because "it was there." I've never been one to leave stuff alone, so, when I gathered up enough courage (Hey! It's a $800+ device! :D), I jail broke it.

Now, armed with the knowledge I can always go back to stock and start all over again - I'm willing to try almost any tweak available for the iPad.

So, essentially, the answer is because I could and because it's fun! I enjoy fiddling with it...

Oh, and now? With SBSettings, Overboard, Activator and Smartscreen - so glad I "experimented"!

Marilyn
  4. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +630 / 0
  5. Fr0st

Fr0st iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    iPodLinux! I have known you well...too bad the project died though...;(
  6. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    I'm with you and Mickey. That is always a reason. I have been jailbreaking my ps3 every time a new software update came out for it just to make sure my jailbreak method worked. And it still does. :)
    I may not have a reason to hack, I just do it because I can.
  7. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0

Me too. I am a pro now. :D:D:D:D:D
  8. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    More like a master! :D
  9. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0
    I was only joking as you know! I have not played around with JB at all. Barely.
  10. arbor53

arbor53 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Greywolf is there any chance you can pm me a link or info on the ps3 jailbreak if it's not against the rules, I've been trying to find out from google but it takes forever to go through all the garbage on there.
    sorry for being off topic so ill add the reason I jailbreak is because I can. I swap between iOS and jailbreak because I get bored and it gives me something to do

sent from my brain
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  11. Obsidian

Obsidian iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's the specific tweaks that make life easier for me. Also, you don't void your warranty. You can always revert right back to apple software by reloading from itunes.
  12. Wookiee2cu

Wookiee2cu iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    I decided to jailbreak my iPhone (waiting for the iPad 2 JB) when I started reading about all the tweaks in Cydia (not to mention the other apps that Apple blocked that could be found in Cydia). Honestly there are some great tweaks that I think should have been apart of the OS like SBSettings and being able to set up notifications on the lock screen like Intelliscreen. It just makes tasks simpler which is what a smartphone is supposed to do. And like a kid when you're told your not supposed to do something it kind of makes you want to do it even more :)
  13. Max Death

Max Death iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :pI jailbroke because I'm too use to the freedom allowed by a PC.
    Jobs may not want you inside the file system or able to change his vision of what the Ipad should be, but that does not make him J.C.
    :D thanks to Ifile and a few other apps this thing feels more like a computer than a toy. Now if we could just get flash it would be a computer.
  14. hkopay

hkopay iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I jail break because I can too. ~edited by moderator~ Now I can work on others iPhones, because I can and it's fun
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2011
  15. ALcH3Mi5T

ALcH3Mi5T iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I never used any apple devices until the first iPhone. I began jb with that one mainly for themes and personalization. Now I jailbreak the phone and iPad purely for functionality. I don't even bother installing winter board now ;). The iPhone I do because of tethering and iblacklist... The iPad for apps and tools.
  16. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0
    I just know you are not insinuating you steal apps. Are you? That is illegal and a forbidden topic on this forum. Better read the rules. :)

Don't be a pirate!
  17. OUTL4W

OUTL4W iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Was wondering how long it would take till a post got moderated on this thread. :D
    Wellll it wasn't 1tweak that made me decide but the culmination of tweaks that I found useful. Why a limit on #of apps per folder, why can't I rename app names if too long, why can't I move more than 1icon to another page or when adding to folders,...etc...etc....just simple things like that.
  18. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    If your stupid enough to walk into the apple store with it jailbroken, yes. :D
  19. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    Exactly. Me too. It's all just the simple stuff that it should already do.
  20. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    She doesn't. And neither does anybody else on this forum I know. We have morals here and believe people deserve to get paid for something they worked hard on.