What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Remote Desktop?

edwardiii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, but I'm looking for real file transfer capabilities, like taking a PowerPoint or Excel file and transferring it directly from the Windows server to the iPad. I know there are workarounds like emailing files to yourself or uploading them to online services. I'm just wondering if anyone's worked out the file transfer protocol for RDP. It doesn't seem like it.

Here's a rundown of ones I've looked at:

LogMeIn - not RDP compatible, file transfer support
Wyse Pocketcloud - RDP compatible, no file transfer support
iTap - RDP compatible, no file transfer support
TeamViewer - not RDP compatible, file transfer support
Jump Desktop - RDP compatible, no file transfer support
Splashtop - not RDP compatible, no file transfer support
Jaadu RDP - no iPad version
MochaSoft RDP - RDP compatible but doesn't support Windows 200x servers, no file transfer support
Antecea Desktop Connect - RDP compatible, no file transfer support
Antecea Cloud Connect Pro - RDP compatible, iPad is available in My Network Places?
WinAdmin - RDP compatible, no file transfer support
iRdesktop - RDP compatible, no file transfer support

Last edited:

edwardiii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, RDP allows you to map a network drive to your local machine name on the host computer and transfer files.

I've tried this using Wyse's Pocketcloud, which is the best RDP app I've used, but it doesn't allow mapping because RDP is expecting a Windows drive on the other end.

I'm intrigued by Antecea's Cloud Connect Pro, which claims the iPad shows up in Network Places, but the software doesn't seem to get updated very frequently and doesn't get very great reviews so I'm hesitant to try it.

I might just have my users connect through RDP, and if they need to transfer files back and forth to the server they will have to use a VPN solution. Kind of klugey, but file transfer on the iPad seems to be klugey in general.

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
graywolf said:
Oh that's cool. I didn't know RDP could do that.

You have to go to the advanced options menu and enable it. It's not in plain sight.

blm225

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok.
Here are my requirements:
RDP windows
VPN using IPSec
3des, AES
AH
diffie-hellman
Ssl/tls

I don't care about mapping remote drives necessarily although connection to Nfs would be cool.
Vnc would be a plus but not essential since I could connect to vm's that have that capability.
Rd gateway would be ok but I have a hairy firewall to transverse which limits me to port 443 VPN.
Basically I need to connect to a Windows desktop in order to get to other services on the network.

Any suggestions?

coolaliasgar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Logmeinrescue, gosupportnow, splashtop, pocket cloud etc. are hosted remote support service providers which can be used to remotely access computers. Alternatively, you may even consider having on premise remote support appliance installed such as RHUB appliances.

Most reactions

Latest posts