What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Remote Desktop?

Richard10002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know it's been asked before, but a search hasn't helped me. I want a remote that will enable me to access several computers at different locations, both via 3G and wifi.

Splash top gets good recommendations, but it looks like you need to be on the same network to use it - unless I'm misunderstanding.

Downloaded the free version of PocketCloud which seems to work fine but I need to decide whether to spend £8.99 on the pro version. The mouse thing appeals, and the keyboard is OK.

Before doing so, I'm wondering if LogMeIn is much better, given that it's twice the price. The money isn't an issue..... £17.99 for a piece of software that changes the way I can do business is a small price to pay, but it doesn't make sense to buy it if PocketCloud is as good as makes no difference, or better.

I know there are other apps that will do the job, and I'm prepared to be swayed, but trying to compare too many may serve only to confuse.

Any pointers from users of PocketCloud and LogMeIn particularly welcomed.

Many Thanks

Richard

OP
R

Richard10002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ratatapa said:
Itap ftw for me

Also Teamviewer

iTap looks good, but what does ftw mean? I can find iTap RDP & VNC, but not ftw. Also, the RDP version says it doesn't work with XP Home, and that is what I have on my home computer, so I'm tending to discount it as PocketCloud works out of the box.

I've used Teamviewer on iPhone and my home computer to communicate with work as a test. However, when i discovered the license for work use is megabucks, I don't want to take mickey by using the free version, when there are legitimate alternatives, and I'm not paying megabucks :)

Thanks for the response. I may look deeper into iTap.

Richard

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use both LogMeIn and TeamViewer for work and like both of them. I have used them both from a 3G connection (a little laggy), a speedy home connection (very smooth) and at 35,000 ft with GoGo InFlight (about like a 3G). Both are good choices.

On a personal note, I can't decide if it is cooler (and therefore geekier) to do support on a $250,000 system with a $850 tablet at 35,000 feet or in the passenger seat of a car driving a back country road at 65 mph.

Either way we live in a great time don't we?

Mac4Lfe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LogMeIn is great for remote access, transferring files and accessing multiple computers.

Lusid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess it depends on your use case.

iTap RDP is great when you need to hit resources behind a Terminal Services Gateway. I think their interface is the best on small screen devices (iphone, ipod). Its the only one that supports TSGateway.

PocketCloud is excellent. I've used it as my full time desktop for days at a time. Its best if you have a View deployment on RDP.

The VMware View client is best if you have a view deployment on PCoIP.

Teamviewer is great for when your in a less structured support role, or you need to fix your mom's PC.

LogMeIn is good for when you just need to get into your home machine.

Lusid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any pointers from users of PocketCloud and LogMeIn particularly welcomed.

Pocketcloud does not perform as well if you use their NAT traversal. If you can get direct IP connectivity (or VPN) it performs much better.

Install the pocketcloud companion on the remote desktop. It makes the keyboard much better behaved.

Here's a tip for any of them:
Use dropbox and PDFCreator to print from the remote desktop to your ipad.
  1. Install PDFCreator, which is an opensource print2pdf utility on the remote desktop.
  2. Install dropbox on both the remote desktop and the ipad.
  3. When you print, pick the PDFCreator printer and save the PDF into the dropbox folder structure.
  4. On the ipad, you can access your printed documents as PDFs in the dropbox app.

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess it depends on your use case.

Teamviewer is great for when your in a less structured support role, or you need to fix your mom's PC.

Nope, Team Viewer happens to be great for a structured support role when you need to, for things such as PCI or PA-DSS compliance (which all major corporations that deal with CC data have to adhere to) a) have an single instance running that does not stay active, which could be a gateway in; and b) have a permission based access system (also a must for PCI and PA-DSS compliance). Team viewer allows for a standalone program to run on the site PC and generate a one time unique session ID and password.

LogMeIn is good for when you just need to get into your home machine.

Once again, nope. I use LogMeIn for major support, quater million dollar systems, halfway around the world (think Japan).

Maybe you're thinking of the free versions of both of these systems, which yes that is basically what they are good for. If you pay for the upgraded products you actually get some great features and a system that is used by some major players. Unless you think companies ike 3M, FujiFilm, SAP, Siemens and Ford are home computer systems.

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
+1 for TeamViewer

I've used LogMeIn and it works fine but I don't want to pay for the pro version, which has the file transfer feature.

Most reactions

Latest posts