What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you use on ipad - Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo mail

i77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bought an ipad 2 last week, its great and rocks.

Been using Hotmail for years, thought I'd try it with the Mail app. Found that you can't create folders, or even view email that were in folders before.

Then I logged into Hotmail from Google, and found that I couldn't even view folders from within Hotmail.

Can anybody tell me what it's like to use any other email providers on ipad. Ideally I'd like to create folders/labels, filter emails, actually view email within folders (which as I've mentioned I haven't been able to do).

Any advice and opinion would be valued, as I've got one Hotmail address for over 20 forums - and really need that email functionalty on ipad -if its possible?

Thanks in advance

verwon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe you only get folders if you've created them online in your email and use imap access, not pop. I've been using gmail since it was a beta launch and setting it up on my iPad gives me access to all folders in my account.

Mistress of Mischief

OP
I

i77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe you only get folders if you've created them online in your email and use imap access, not pop. I've been using gmail since it was a beta launch and setting it up on my iPad gives me access to all folders in my account.

Mistress of Mischief

Yeah thanks, I've set so many up on my Mac Pro - got it all very organized, then find that I can't see the emails in the folders on the ipad 2.

Also I've just read that Hotmail is only pop, looks like I may get a gmail account.

When using it on ipad, do you use it through mail, or login through google? Can you create folders too, is it like using it like on a Mac Pro/imac?

Many thanks

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
you can set up hotmail as an exchange account (just like gmail) which will give you access to your folders. Can't create any in the ipad app tho, this applies to all email providers in the app, its a weakness of the app not the provider.

OP
I

i77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you can set up hotmail as an exchange account (just like gmail) which will give you access to your folders. Can't create any in the ipad app tho, this applies to all email providers in the app, its a weakness of the app not the provider.

See what you mean, bit of a shame it does have that weakness.

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used to use hotmail, but since I have purchased an iMac I have had to change to gmail as apple do not support hotmail on their desktops even through exchange. You can use it as POP, but that's not very useful.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

OP
I

i77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used to use hotmail, but since I have purchased an iMac I have had to change to gmail as apple do not support hotmail on their desktops even through exchange. You can use it as POP, but that's not very useful.

Really, I've been using a Mac Pro for about 4 years using Hotmail is no problem at all on it.

What exactly is iPF?

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
i77 said:
What exactly is iPF?

As Gabriel said, it's the forum; however in this context it is refering to the dedicated app for the forum. Don't search for iPF in the app store. It is called Discussion Forum for iPad. The confusion is because the icon on the iPad says iPF.

OP
I

i77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As Gabriel said, it's the forum; however in this context it is refering to the dedicated app for the forum. Don't search for iPF in the app store. It is called Discussion Forum for iPad. The confusion is because the icon on the iPad says iPF.

Cool, I see what you mean.

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i77 said:
Really, I've been using a Mac Pro for about 4 years using Hotmail is no problem at all on it.

What exactly is iPF?

Hotmail works fine on the iPad, but if I want to use the apple Mail app I could only use it by using POP and that doesn't sync all the folders - it doesn't give me the option to use IMAP :-(

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Hotmail can be set up as an Exchange account on the iPad, which gives you more options, and will sync your folders.

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2010/08/how-to-setup-hotmail-using-exchange-activesync-on-your-iphone-ipad-and-ipod-touch-for-push-email-calendar-contacts.html

Yes it's fine on the iPad, it's the iMac that is a no go

I couldn't get it to work, so I asked an Apple genius in the Apple store and he told me I would have to switch to gmail :-(

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Harters said:
Yes it's fine on the iPad, it's the iMac that is a no go

Oops. Sorry. I did a little (very little) research, and dicovered is that Hotmail only supports Exchange Activesync (not a full Exchange server). That is a mobile standard. Very few desktop mail programs are compatible with it, and no OSX programs that I could find.

Forward to GMail was the suggestion, or in a few cases forward to some lesser known IMAP email provider.

No help, I know.

Most reactions

Latest posts