What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 3 and Yahoo mail

Caligula

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I have set up the email client on my Ipad 3 to gather my email from yahoo. It is the same account that I use on my desktop. I have set it up on my desk top so that if I get a mail from 'Joe Bloggs' it goes straight to my 'Joe Bloggs folder. This is reflected in the IPads email account and it duly shows all the different folders that I have set up....all good, until I collect my email.

The result of clicking on the mail icon on the Ipad is that it will collect all the inbox mail but does not show any mail in the other folders. To see if I have mail in the other folders I have to click on each folder individually and then that individual folder will fetch it's mail....a right royal pain in the proverbial. I have missed several important emails (well, important to me :)) as a consequence.

Is there a setting either on the Ipad or on the Yahoo server that I should be configuring?

OP
C

Caligula

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mmmm I've just set up my Hotmail account on the Ipad and it seems as though it has the same problems as Yahoo mail. I'm beginning to think it's the vagaries of the Ipad email client and not something I can 'tweak' to fix it........unless anyone knows different?

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Caligula said:
Mmmm I've just set up my Hotmail account on the Ipad and it seems as though it has the same problems as Yahoo mail. I'm beginning to think it's the vagaries of the Ipad email client and not something I can 'tweak' to fix it........unless anyone knows different?

I saw your post. Been looking around. Can tell you others have it working fine.

Let me ask you this....is your account a free or subscription account?

And can you post your inbound and outbound smtp server names?

OP
C

Caligula

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Midranger4, a ray of hope :)
It is a free subscription.
Under the settings for yahoo mail account the outgoing mail server is 'Yahoo! SMTP Server' and I cannot find the incoming server name under settings.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Caligula said:
Thank you Midranger4, a ray of hope :)
It is a free subscription.
Under the settings for yahoo mail account the outgoing mail server is 'Yahoo! SMTP Server' and I cannot find the incoming server name under settings.

Ok I suspect a settings issue.

Sometime this evening I will post how to access the detailed account configuration on your iPad.

Then we are going to delete it and recreate it verifying the smtp server names used for pop3 setup.

Hang in there. We will get it working as you expect and need,

OP
C

Caligula

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Midranger4, I look forward to working with you to resolve my problem.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Caligula said:
Thanks Midranger4, I look forward to working with you to resolve my problem.

Evening:

Let's start by deleting the existing problem email account.

General/Mail, Contacts, Calendars/Tap Yahoo Mail. Dialog box appears with delete account button in blazing red. Delete the account.

I will prepare your post to recreate and will supply known smtp server names and ports. Give me a few minutes. ....

Ok I created a yahoo email account. Added to iPad. Created folder from yahoo web client in safari. Refreshed iPad mailbox for yahoo and folder appeared.

Creation was quick. Select yahoo, provide yahoo user name, yahoo email address, password and press done. The account verifies with a series of check marks then presents you with sync dialogue box to select mail, calendars, contacts, etc. I selected mail only. Tapped done and,ope ed mailbox with default folders. Used safari to open yahoo mail, pressed the little gear below the inbox, created a folder. Reopened iPad email for yahoo and test folder appeared. This was mere seconds after creation on the web client side.

Last edited:
OP
C

Caligula

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in replying, you are about 5 hours behind me :)

Ok done that, ran the test folder, all good. I will give it half an hour or so and then check to see if it is collecting all my mail and not just my in-box!

Just got back indoors and had a look at my ipad mail.....sadly its still the same, it checks and downloads the contents of my inbox but all other folders in the mailbox have to be clicked on seperately to download their contents.

Last edited:

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Caligula said:
Sorry for the delay in replying, you are about 5 hours behind me :)

Ok done that, ran the test folder, all good. I will give it half an hour or so and then check to see if it is collecting all my mail and not just my in-box!

Just got back indoors and had a look at my ipad mail.....sadly its still the same, it checks and downloads the contents of my inbox but all other folders in the mailbox have to be clicked on seperately to download their contents.

Are you doing a push on fetch new data? Or is it by chance set to manual?

OP
C

Caligula

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good morning Midranger4,

Just checked me settings and push is set to on and 'manually' is ticked

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Caligula said:
Good morning Midranger4,

Just checked me settings and push is set to on and 'manually' is ticked

That's your problem. Set it to a time period like 15 minutes. Manual setting is why the folders require you refresh them for them to show up.

OP
C

Caligula

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah ok, will set it to 15 minutes and give it a whirl......will edit this later....

Nope that hasn't fixed it......still have to download each filtered folder seperately. ♦

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts