What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I sync Apple Mail with IPad Mail?

rthorson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been using Apple Mail to check several of my email accounts and have recently bought an IPad. Is it possible to sync the Apple Mail with my IPad Mail. ie when I read and move an email to a different folder on on Apple Mail on my Mac, it marks it as read and moves it to the same folder on IPad Mail?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rthorson said:
I have been using Apple Mail to check several of my email accounts and have recently bought an IPad. Is it possible to sync the Apple Mail with my IPad Mail. ie when I read and move an email to a different folder on on Apple Mail on my Mac, it marks it as read and moves it to the same folder on IPad Mail?

When you say apple mail do you mean that you have a MobileMe account, I.e. Ending in @mac.com or @me.com?

Edit......I think from re-reading your post you mean you have the same email accounts on both machines (not MobileMe) but they are acting independently......is that correct?

The Archangel

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Your email accounts need to be set up as IMAP or Exchange accounts to do this. Check the providers for each of your email accounts and see if they have IMAP servers and how to setup that way. Then doe so in both Apple Mail and on the iPad.

MobileMe is IMAP.
Google can be IMAP or Exchange
Hotmail can be Exchange (not sure about IMAP)

Also, in Apple Mail your folders will be in several sections. The folders under (On My Mac) are local. The ones listed under your account names are on the servers, and if the server is IMAP, will update on all computers and devices.

the Trash, Sent, Junk, and Drafts folders under MAILBOXES can be set up in preferences, accounts, mailbox behavior.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No, only the default mailbox types on the Mac can be set up in preferences. These mailboxes exist no matter what. You just get to choose where they are. It has no effect on the iPad, at all. Well, except if you don't set them up to be on the server then the iPad can't see them.

You can create other mailboxes on the server. Exactly how depends on the service. Almost all of them will let you do so in their web site email. With iOS 5 you can create new folders for IMAP and Exchange accounts right in the Mail app. Tap the button at the top left of the mail list (it probably says Mailboxes, but maybe not). Keep tapping it until you see a list of Inboxes and Accounts. Select the account you want. Choose Edit at the top right of the mail list, then New Mailbox at the bottom.

Most reactions

Latest posts