What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are using your iPad for that you didn't expect?

What are you using your iPad for that you DID NOT expect to use it for?

• Streaming/Watching Video

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • Listening to Music

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Reading eBooks

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • Browsing the Web

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • Social Networking (Twitter/Facebook/etc.)

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Something completely different (Post below)

Votes: 13 22.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, these are all things you can do with your iPad. However, instead of what you expected to be using it for, what do you find yourself doing that you didn't consider a buying point when you bought it.

I imagined I'd do a lot of web browsing and reading books, but I find I am using it for Netflix streaming far more than I would have imagined.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a babe magnet!
Crap! I hope my wife doesn't see this post! But there is a picture of the two of us on my lock screen, so I can always hold that up as a "babe repellant"... 'cuz I already got me one!

Last edited:
OP
W

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a babe magnet!
Nah, got the perfect thing for that. Bought a box of Cinnabuns at the mall, and I was asked by half dozen women where I was taking them as I walked through the mall. I broke their hearts when I said they were for my wife.

Still, it is out there if you need an option. ;)

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I expected all of those. Reading magazines (like Wired and Popular Mechanics) was a surprise. Also remote control of my PC (iTeleport or LogMeIn) was also unexpected. I also use it a lot more for showing technical info. to customers for work (brochures) than I imagined.

irwaffles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got mine for school [mainly] so I could leave my rather heavy 15'' MBP at home for my one hour commute.

iAnnotate and various dropbox apps have been great for school, but seeing as how I have a WiFi only version I usually load my MiTube app with a bunch of Youtube videos before my commute so I have something to watch during the ride. I didn't think I'd use it for videos that much, but... I do now haha.

Jake18oly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have never been too much into reading books but the ipad has changed all that. I loaded some books on it just to check out ibooks and now I read on it every day. It is nice having a small library with me wherever I without having to carry around multiple books. Definitely never saw this one coming.

tdavie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't know that there was an iPad version of Civilization Revolution. Add that to Angry Birds HD and Plants .vs. Zombies HD, and well, I never imagined I'd be hooked on playing games on it!

Tom

MobileSpoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.mobilespoon.net
Reading Comics

I'm reading a lot of comics with the iPad.

Using the Marvel app and an app specially for Transformers - my favorite comic books.

OP
W

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have never been too much into reading books but the ipad has changed all that. I loaded some books on it just to check out ibooks and now I read on it every day. It is nice having a small library with me wherever I without having to carry around multiple books. Definitely never saw this one coming.
That is very cool to hear. I'm an avid reader and have a Kindle and Kindle DX, which I like a lot. However the iPad has replaced the DX when I have space for the larger device. I love that Amazon has Apps on nearly every platform. It makes reading so much better today.
What are using your iPad for that you didn't expect?

I didn't expect spending so much time here!:p
Ya, that is me as well, although in truth I tend to spend a lot of time in forums when I get new technology. I enjoy finding new things to do, like Angry Birds, which is infuriatingly addicting.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What has been surprising is just how much use it gets. Twice the usage of my desktop.
It won't run Lightroom or Photoshop but I'm genuinely impressed by the quality of some of the Photo apps such as Filterstorm, Photogene and Retouch. Can only get better as the platform matures.
Yeah and that forum addiction........

Most reactions

Latest posts