What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What app should I use for taking notes with a stylus?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just realized after reading another thread I could use my iPad to take notes with a stylus on my trip to Germany instead of lugging around a notebook.

Here's the issue though - I'm left handed. I see that Penultimate is one of the top apps but I see comments saying that it's not good for left handed people even with the wrist rest update.

Anyone here make a suggestion?

FrostyFire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
External/bluetooth keyboard out of the question? Personally I type a hell of a lot faster than I write.....(on a regular keyboard that is!)

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah it doesn't work in Persian Farsi. The iPad has native support for Persian Farsi in the browser, but oddly enough, not on the keyboard.

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does evernote take handwritten notes? I don't see that in the example screen shots

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just downloaded Penultimate...going to try that one. Evernote has like a monthly fee or something associated with it, something that wouldn't be worth it to me because I don't need to take notes often.

شماه از ایران هستید؟

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seems to work pretty well and I want to buy a stylus on eBay but my friggin' credit card # was stolen and someone charged 17k worth of crap on it (rescinded by the company of course) and my new one is taking like two weeks to re-add to my account.

lilman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just downloaded Penultimate...going to try that one.
I've heard Penultimate is the best stylus note taking app. I already bought it and am waiting for my boxwave stylus to arrive.

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is boxwave supposed to be the best stylus?

lilman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is boxwave supposed to be the best stylus?

They look so damn thick. :(
I read up on all other iPad stylus's (styli?) before choosing the boxwave. The next best stylus I read about was the pogo sketch, but some iPad users had complained that the tip of the pogo breaks off quickly. I think the boxwave is newer and, as such, there aren't many user reviews for it, but the few user comments I could find were all positive.

I'll let you know how the boxwave is when mine arrives (should arrive in the next few days). I got Penultimate and Sketchbook Pro to test it out.

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sadly I already ordered the Pogo Sketch. I guess we will see if the tip breaks. I'll keep you updated as well.

lilman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My boxwave stylus arrived today (that was fast, I used the cheapest shipping and my order from Sunday 6/6 arrived Thursday 6/10). The tip of it is kind of like an air-filled rubber ball (I got that description from another reviewer, but it really fits well). Very sturdy, easily glides across the iPad screen, and I have no fear of the tip breaking off. The thickness is fine too; it's a bit thicker than one of those $.10 pens but not thicker than a normal nice pen.

I tested it with a couple of apps, the first of which was Penultimate. Penultimate is very responsive to stylus writing (as to be expected since it was designed specifically for stylus support). You don't have to press hard to write, and the app does a great job of following your writing. Penultimate also has a nice "wrist guard" feature so you can have your wrist on the iPad screen while you write. With the other programs I've tested you have to be careful how you hover over the screen or else you will start drawing with your wrist.

Next I tried SketchBook Pro. Again the experience was great, although without wrist guard you have to be careful how you hold the stylus. For precise brush strokes you can zoom in on the image. This still isn't a replacement for good old pen-and-paper drawing but it is a lot better than trying to draw with your finger tip.

Last I tried Paper Desk. I can see why Penultimate is so popular... stylus support in Paper Desk is not so great. You can make crude drawings but writing is nearly impossible.

Overall I'm happy with the boxwave stylus. I haven't tried any other iPad stylus so I have nothing to compare it to. As a side note I'm not sure why they included a little keychain loop attachment at the top of the stylus as it clanks like crazy when you're writing, but it was easy to remove. Boxwave is also releasing a "styra" version of their stylus that will double as a ballpoint pen, but I was afraid to order that one thinking that someone unfamiliar with the iPad may try to use the pen side for more precise writing :p

Most reactions

Latest posts