What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Virus/Malware from Email Attachment?

Temma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good evening guys, the whole reason I bought an iPad (a Mini 2) was so I could be safer from viruses and other nasties, so I could use it for my financial stuff without fear of being compromised.

I forgot my own basic rules earlier today and opened an attachment sent to my hotmail on my iPad.

Am I at risk? And, if so, what can I do/buy to alleviate that risk??

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Good evening guys, the whole reason I bought an iPad (a Mini 2) was so I could be safer from viruses and other nasties, so I could use it for my financial stuff without fear of being compromised.

I forgot my own basic rules earlier today and opened an attachment sent to my hotmail on my iPad.

Am I at risk? And, if so, what can I do/buy to alleviate that risk??

Hello Temma - Apple's iOS is not susceptible to 'viruses' (using the strict definition of that word, i.e. not an umbrella term for 'malware' in general); now, you could possibly 'pass on' Windows malware, such as viruses, trojans, etc. to your fellow PC users.

NOW, the main issue w/ malware on an iPad relates to browser attacks, such as hijacking, scareware, ransomware, etc. - this is an oft discussed topic here, so a little searching might be of help. This is obviously a brief response, so please ask specific questions as needed. Dave :)

OP
T

Temma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! I had ransomware on an old PC that's some nasty stuff.

Think I'll do some reserach here as to how I can protect myself, thanks!

NewtM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have a friend who received an E-mail from Mauro Hall <EDITED> with the subject "Invoice 84965330" on her iPad. Without thinking she opened it. Has anyone seen this particular scam and is she in any "danger"?

Well, you simply provided an email address that provides little information - going to the Schoolbelles website shows what appears to be a legit site for selling school products/uniforms/etc.; of course, assuming the place was not spoofed? What does the email say? Did your friend order from them and/or googled the website and try to contact them? We need some more information. Dave :)

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are NO viruses affecting iOS devices, nor have there ever been. That is not to say that there never will be.

That said, while you are presently safe from virus attacks, you are still open to phishing and fraud. Constant vigilance is necessary.

Most reactions

Latest posts