What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worried that I have got malware from a website

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you considered an Apple router such as the Airport Express or AirPort Extreme?

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't risk doing any financial matters in an Apple Store. Could you not get your router checked? Have you talked to your Internet provider? They may even supply you with a new router.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
For the truelly cautions a VPN (Virtual Private Network) service will allow a reasonably secure connection via public wi-fi; and it doesn't hurt to use it over cellular either.

Downsides: It will slow your internet connection down a little bit (not a problem if you have bandwidth to spare), and the good, reliable providers are not free.

OP
J

JonWinny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello again folks, thanks for your thoughts.

My ISP won't change the router, alas.

As for the Apple Store, I wasn't going to do financial stuff there. I was just going to go there, if possible, to download the iOS update then go back to doing the financial stuff via my iPad's cellular connection.

So *should* an Apple shop be safe to connect to via WiFi to get the iOS update(s)?

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The chances are that you would "probably" be okay updating in an Apple Store, but there is always a risk when you use a network that is simply protected by a password that is given to anybody who comes into the shop and asks for it. It just takes one of those people with malicious intent to wreak havoc.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I would not do any banking, or access any sensitive accounts while on a public network, including Apple's; however, updating iOS isn't particularlly senstiive. You'll need ot enter your iCloud password and possibly some restriction codes. Just make sure you aren't situated so that people can read what you are entering over your shoulder.

I've restored my iOS devices twice when in an Apple Store; because I wasn't patient enough to wait the two hour drive home before having a fully functional device.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You could go to the Genius Bar at the Apple Store and ask them to do the update for you. That would be safer than using the public WiFi at the store and doing it yourself.
About the router, you can buy your own and hook it up without any need to tell your ISP what you've done.

OP
J

JonWinny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guys, I am indebted for your help. However, I think I have found the solution: my brother has changed ISP and has had a new router. The only connections to that WiFi are his GF's work computer (whe works from home) and probably her iPhone.

This should be okay to use, I think. I hope. AFTER the update is there anything I should do just to make sure there's no malware or even adware lurking?

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi John, I am very glad you have found a safe and secure internet source. What I recommend you do is simply go to Safari in Settings and scroll down to Clear History and Website data and tap that. It will get rid of unwanted cookies and junk data. Good luck. Caroline

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Gosh, had no idea iPad can also get Malware. I feel old....:eek:

Hi DenverBen - if you've not read the previous posts in this thread, please return to the first page and take a look - my post #10 may be of interest in explaining the 'type' of malware that can affect iOS browsers in particular. Dave :)

Most reactions