What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Virginia Mountains - Vistas, History, & Wineries

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Wineries Around Smith Mountain Lake

As with my last postings on Keswick Hall, Virginia Wineries abound throughout the state and a handful are near Smith Mountain Lake (see map below). The one opened on a Monday was Ramulose Ridge Vineyards, so we did a visit - as is now typical of these wineries, flights of related wines (e.g. reds vs. whites vs. sweet ones) are usually offered - I had the 'White Wine' flight (see pic below) which included some vinifera hybrids, while Susan had a 4-flight of their sangrias which she really enjoyed (unfortunately, these are home-made and not bottled so no buying options) - I was unimpressed with their whites so we made no purchases - if open in our remaining days, just might check out another winery nearby the lake. Dave :)
SMtnLakeE1.png
SMtnLakeE2.jpg
SMtnLakeE3.png
SMtnLakeE4.jpg
SMtnLakeE5.png
SMtnLakeE6.jpg

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
@ Scifan57 - the other Jeff Daniels portrayal in my collection is a TV film from 2000, i.e. The Crossing in which he plays George Washington crossing the Delaware and attacking Trenton on December 26, 1777 - reviews were mixed but I've watched the movie a half dozen times (still own the DVD, never upgraded to BD). Dave :)

TheCrossing.jpg

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
D Day Memorial in Bedford, Virginia - Part I

About 30+ minutes north of us in the small town of Bedford, Virginia - the National D-Day Memorial is located there. The memorial is a large circular outdoor 'museum' (see pics 2 & 3 below) divided into a half dozen or so 'areas' (if readable the 3rd pic has numerical explanations - a link HERE) - the landing portrayals are spectacular with intermittent water eruptions simulating bullets entering the water (should have take a movie clip). More pics in the next post. Dave :)
The National D-Day Memorial is a war memorial located in Bedford, Virginia. It serves as the national memorial for American D-Day veterans. However, its scope is international in that it states, "In Tribute to the valor, fidelity and sacrifice of Allied Forces on D-Day, June 6, 1944" and commends all Allied Armed Forces during the D-Day invasion of Normandy, France on June 6, 1944, during World War II. The memorial, bordering the Blue Ridge Mountains in southwestern Virginia, is an area of over 50 acres that overlooks the town of Bedford. It officially opened on June 6, 2001, with 15,000 people present, including then-President George W. Bush. About 60,000 people have visited the memorial each year. (Source)
Thirty-four Virginia National Guard soldiers from Company A, 116th Infantry Regiment, 29th Infantry Division, based in the town of Bedford prior to the war, were part of D-Day. Company A was decimated within hours of landing, and nineteen of the men were killed during the first day of the invasion. Four more died during the rest of the Normandy campaign. The town and the "Bedford Boys" proportionately suffered the greatest losses of any American town during the campaign, thus inspiring the United States Congress to establish the D-Day memorial in Bedford. (Source)
SMtnLakeF_1a.png
SMtnLakeF_1b.png
SMtnLakeF_1c.png
SMtnLakeF_1d.png
SMtnLakeF_1e.png
SMtnLakeF_1f.png
SMtnLakeF_1g.png
SMtnLakeF_1h.png
SMtnLakeF_1i.png
SMtnLakeF_1j.png
SMtnLakeF_1k.png
SMtnLakeF_1l.png
SMtnLakeF_1m.png
SMtnLakeF_1n.png
SMtnLakeF_1o.png
SMtnLakeF_1p.png
SMtnLakeF_1q.png
SMtnLakeF_1r.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
D Day Memorial in Bedford, Virginia - Part II

A continuation with more pics - numerous plaques are present throughout which could take hours to read - I've included only a few that may interest? The memorial walls in the Gray Plaza contain plaques of the names of the 4,415 Americans + Allied servicemen who died on D Day. Finally, the Reynolds Garden features statues of the main Allied leaders (2 of 6 busts included below) with Dwight D. Eisenhower in the 'rotunda' - there is a mosaic map of the invasion plan on the ceiling. Dave :)

SMtnLakeF_2a.png
SMtnLakeF_2b.png
SMtnLakeF_2c.png
SMtnLakeF_2d.png
SMtnLakeF_2e.png
SMtnLakeF_2f.png
SMtnLakeF_2g.png
SMtnLakeF_2h.png
SMtnLakeF_2i.png
SMtnLakeF_2j.png
SMtnLakeF_2k.png
SMtnLakeF_2l.png
SMtnLakeF_2m.png
SMtnLakeF_2n.png
SMtnLakeF_2o.png
SMtnLakeF_2p.png
SMtnLakeF_2q.png
SMtnLakeF_2r.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Virginia Dare Boat Ride on the Lake

Our last day started with a boat cruise on the lake aboard the Virginia Dare - the 2 hour ride went to the Smith Mountain Lake Dam (see quote below w/ link). The lake has about 500 miles of lake front with all of the peninsulas and inlets - see pics below - plenty of real estate developments from condos to houses are visible. Numerous small and larger islands (originally small mountain tops) dot the lake - one larger one w/ a house! (see below). A buffet lunch is an option, if desired. Dave :)

Smith Mountain Dam is a concrete arch dam located on the Roanoke River in Virginia, creating Smith Mountain Lake. The dam was built by Appalachian Power (a division of American Electric Power) between 1960 and 1963 for the purposes of pumped-storage hydroelectricity. The dam created Smith Mountain Lake as its reservoir, where recreation and real estate have become popular. (Source)
SMtnLake_G1a.png
SMtnLake_G1b.png
SMtnLake_G1c.jpg
SMtnLake_G1d.png
SMtnLake_G1e.png
SMtnLake_G1f.png
SMtnLake_G1g.png
SMtnLake_G1h.png
SMtnLake_G1i.png
SMtnLake_G1j.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Peaks of Otter Winery

After the boat ride we still had much of the afternoon for another activity - so, a visit to the Peaks of Otter Winery, about a 50 min drive northwest - this was Susan's place to taste, i.e. only 'fruit' wines are made (not my preference) - we shared an 8-item tasting (again her choices) (out of around 3 dozen options! Check HERE if interested) - she liked the 3 in the last pics, so we purchased a bottle of each. Now, the place is up in the mountains so some curvy narrow roads to negotiate. Dave :)

SMtnLake_G2a.png
SMtnLake_G2b.png
SMtnLake_G2c.jpg
SMtnLake_G2d.jpg copy.png
SMtnLake_G2e.png
SMtnLake_G2f.png
SMtnLake_G2g.png
SMtnLake_G2h.png
SMtnLake_G2i.png
SMtnLake_G2j.png

Most reactions

Latest posts