Upgrading?

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by AlxiPad, Mar 11, 2012.

1. AlxiPad

AlxiPad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey, how many of you guys are trading in your iPad 2 for the new iPad?

As much as I like the thought of that new retina display I can't warrant the trade. Who out there is giving up the iPad 2?

Sent from my iPad 2
  2. Wakeupdead87

Wakeupdead87 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Im in the market for an iPad and honestly might just buy an iPad 2. Retina this retina that, bahhh dont be a sheep ;)
  3. Semel

Semel iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    My ipad2 is like a trusted old car,you just dont want to get rid of it.Why not just add to the collection and buy the 3 anyway?
  4. AlxiPad

AlxiPad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Semel. Nice idea ;). But seriously I can't give up this iPad just yet. What happened to Siri? Surely us iPad users deserve that feature? There wasn't enough new features for me to take the plunge.

And hey. This is the last Steve Jobs announced device ;)

Sent from my iPad 2
  5. Semel

Semel iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    I have the ipad 1 and 2.Maybe go buy the 3 and start my own ipad evolution museum?
  6. AlxiPad

AlxiPad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sure :) do you still use the original iPad. Which one is your daily driver?
  7. Semel

Semel iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Daily,the 2. The 1 I use at home to play my music and music videos through my entertainment system.And of course to watch sports channels at work because the app they released in South Africa to watch sattelite tv on your ipad only works on non jailbroken devices.
  8. AlxiPad

AlxiPad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I like that. You know something I actually prefer the form factor of the original iPad. It feels sturdy in the hand

Sent from my iPad 2
  9. Semel

Semel iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Yes,and carrying the 2 around without a case is high risk business.It slips very easy.
  10. AlxiPad

AlxiPad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah I got me a nice leather envelope case for my iPad 2. I dropped this thing in some tiles a few months ago and I almost died. Little dent on the back corner but thankfully no damage to the screen

Sent from my iPad 2
  11. Redneck_Randy

Redneck_Randy iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I kinda think the iPad 2 was designed to be dropped or slip from your hands or hand.

Just my 2 cents
  12. Semel

Semel iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Keeps the sales going.
  13. emem12

emem12 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Your not going to use the iPad2 I don't get what is so great about the ipad3
  14. Semel

Semel iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Nice to have
  15. emem12

emem12 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As a back up?
  16. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    I'm sticking with iPad 1 and 2 for now. Will see what else emerges.

I use my grandfathered unlimited 3G SIM interchangeably between the two (depends on which is better charged as I head out the door), and I don't want to give up that flexibility for a better screen, which I see as the primary improvement in the new model.

Tim Cook said in his keynote that they're just getting started with improvements this year with the new iPad, and I'm curious what will come out in the next six months or so, before holiday distribution ramps up.

Whether or not that pans out, there are always new gadgets from one maker or another, so there's always something else to look forward to. We're lucky to have so many choices.
  17. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    I am upgrading my iPad because I decided on a two year upgrade path for now. I think what i am looking forward to most is the 4G. I like the ideal of the retina screen, and some of the other features. However, if it weren't for other issues, I could have been willing to wait until summer to upgrade. My only concern was about going to the 64Gb model. I do not use all of my 32Gb now, and a third of that is in music, so I think I should be OK. I do think that next year, Apple will increase the SSD densities. Once the full production of retina displays is achieved and failure rates go down, the price to Apple should be lowered enough to allow the change to larger SSDs. One positive note is that unless a better technology emerges to produce equivalent screens, with lower cost and power consumption, there will not be any changes in that front for a long time. This means that while Apple will not sit still on that front, they will be concentrating effort into other improvements. Getting Retina display into production was a major effort on their part. It is up to us as individuals to decide what we want and when we want it. The iPad is only going to improve.
  18. Slimseven

Slimseven iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I'm actually going to keep my ip2 until it does not wake up someday. Then I will look into the possibility of a fix. The ipad2 is a great device. Meanwhile my delivery date for a 3rd gen iPad is the 16 th. early on it will most likely power up for an occasional xplane9 flight or a movie . I understand it's easy to sell an ipad2 64gig if the ip3 is as amazing as we hear it is.
  19. Semel

Semel iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Yeah,incase I drop the 2.
  20. zorah

zorah iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I'm in the have a 1 and 2 category too. I use the 2 the most now, but still around the house if I want to look something up and walk downstairs to show someone something, I might do that with the 1, so it's not like the 1 is just sitting around.
    And I concur that I like the sturdy feel to the 1, although at the same time, the slimmer profile to the 2 makes it helpful as I now use the 2 as my note taker, having a nice BT keyboard all built into a case with little bulk, but props up to look like a netbook. The case only fits the 2. Around the house, I keep the smart cover on the 2.
    At some point, who knows, a year and a half from now right before the next iPad comes out, I'll end up with a 3, or maybe not. LOL, but at some point in several years, it will get ridiculous. I planned to skip the 2, but ended up with it anyway just recently, so in no way will I have the 3 anytime soon.