What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I The Only 1 Not Upgrading ?

Daved2006

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sold my much love iPad 2 before the keynote and got a decent price for it. If I want to upgrade it will cost me £80 or I can get a brand new iPad 2 again and be £27 up. I also want to get a new case and square trade as I dropped my iPad 2 about 4 times and luckily it did not break or even scratch. So all in all if I was to upgrade I dont really want to spend all that money with the extras.

Yesterday I asked my partners sister who works for Apple to order me the iPad 2 which she will do on Friday but the past few days I've been very undecided changing my mind constantly. There is a lot of Apple haters proclaiming the iPad 2 is dead but I don't buy this rubbish and part of my decision is that I still believe the iPad 2 will be fully supported over the next year, granted there may be a handful of apps that will surface that may not be compatible.

I can fully understand new iPad owners going straight for the new iPad which I would probably do as well if I was a new owner but over the past 6 months I have been very happy with my iPad 2 and the new features are not enough for me to want to upgrade. That's not to say I'm am not impressed by them or I was expecting more, I have just thought a lot about whether I really need them enough to spend more money upgrading.

So who else is not upgrading and will be happy to hang on to their iPad 2 which is surely not dead just yet.

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just got my refurbished iPad 2 about 2 months ago...I could have waited but there really wasn't enough for me to justify waiting...I'm sure the display will be nice but but just not enough for me to get the new version.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
i'm a bit confused why you pre-sold your ipad 2 in anticipation of the new ipad3 knowing more or less what the new upgrade features would be, and those predictions were more or less spot on, and now you're not so sure. It indicates to me you're not that attached to your ipad2 in the first place. So for the extra £80 i'd certainly upgrade if i were you. it isnt going to break the bank is it not?

Apple hater or not, the ipad2 certainly isnt dead. Come to that, the ipad1 isnt dead either. The ipad1 is still way ahead of Apple's tablet competition still! The ipad1 and 2 will certainly be supported as far as compatible iOS's are concerned for the next few releases at least. Apple dont just dump last year's model as easily as that, especially as commercially they're winners and uber uber heavy sellers. (even if ipad1 isnt on the production line any more, it's still more than supported, softwarewise) Besides, if and when that day comes in a few years that your ipad2 is no long pulling it's weight then think about an upgrade then. why should peeps worry about futre proofing? silly concept where domestic gadgets are concerned if you ask me.

No, the upgrades aren't enough for me to upgrade my ipad2. My device is just in a position i like right now, and it's not failing me in any branch. On the contrary, it's still exceeding. so no reason to change yet. But if i were you, pretty undecided, and could buy an iPad3 for only an extra 80 quid, i'd consider myself silly not to.

Last edited:

p3unit32

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
i'm a bit confused why you pre-sold your ipad 2 in anticipation of the new ipad3 knowing more or less what the new upgrade features would be, and those predictions were more or less spot on, and now you're not so sure. It indicates to me you're not that attached to your ipad2 in the first place. So for the extra £80 i'd certainly upgrade if i were you. it isnt going to break the bank is it not?

Apple hater or not, the ipad2 certainly isnt dead. Come to that, the ipad1 isnt dead either. The ipad1 is still way ahead of Apple's tablet competition still! The ipad1 and 2 will certainly be supported as far as compatible iOS's are concerned for the next few releases at least. Apple dont just dump last year's model as easily as that, especially as commercially they're winners and uber uber heavy sellers. (even if ipad1 isnt on the production line any more, it's still more than supported, softwarewise) Besides, if and when that day comes in a few years that your ipad2 is no long pulling it's weight then think about an upgrade then. why should peeps worry about futre proofing? silly concept where domestic gadgets are concerned if you ask me.

No, the upgrades aren't enough for me to upgrade my ipad2. My device is just in a position i like right now, and it's not failing me in any branch. On the contrary, it's still exceeding. so no reason to change yet. But if i were you, pretty undecided, and could buy an iPad3 for only an extra 80 quid, i'd consider myself silly not to.

I agree with your assessment. I'm not upgrading either. I have the 64GB 3G+wi-fi model and it's doing everything I need it to do. Maybe I'll upgrade next year, maybe..

If anything would be upgraded, it would be my iPhone. I use it more than my iPad 2 & Mac Book Pro combined. But since I have the 4S on AT&T's network I'm good for the next year. Unless they do some spectacular on the next iPhone release.

OP
D

Daved2006

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I reluctantly sold my iPad 2 because I felt that just before or around the key note speech I would get the most I was ever likely to get for it and it paid off. With the money I got for the sale I can now buy a brand new one with a new 1 year warranty to replace my 6 month old one and still have £27 change in my pocket. To me that's a pretty good deal. As well as that with my old one when I decided I wanted a square trade warranty I was outside of the 30 day period, now with a new one I can buy square trade.

When I decided to sell it I knew I would buy a new iPad again there was no question of that but was not 100% sure which one but I was more than happy to go back to a 2 and Im pleased to see all the comments here from folk happy with their iPad 1 and 2. With some of the comments online I thought I was one of very few not upgrading.

dMog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
why would you sell your ipad 2 then when the ipad 3 comes out only repurchase the ipad2???? none of this makes any sense??
even if you only take a extremely small amouunt of pictures and video the new screen resolutaion alone makes it worth while, not to meantion the new faster processor

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
why would you sell your ipad 2 then when the ipad 3 comes out only repurchase the ipad2???? none of this makes any sense??
even if you only take a extremely small amouunt of pictures and video the new screen resolutaion alone makes it worth while, not to meantion the new faster processor

That may be your opinion but not all of us feel the same. To ME the screen on the iPad 2 is just fine & getting the 3 would just be a waste of money. Remember not everyone AUTOMATICALLY but a new version of something just because it's released. I think the OP made a good decision for himself. I too thought of selling my refurbished iPad 2 that I JUST PURCHASED 2 months ago so I could get ANOTHER iPad TWO but a larger size at the same price that I paid for the 16gb I currently have. NEW is NOT always better...IMO

OP
D

Daved2006

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The thing with the iPad 2 compared to my netbook and PC is that I love it. I thinks its amazing. The netbook and PC I hate and would love to upgrade. I feel absolutely no need to spend more money on a better screen when the one I have (had) suits me fine. I cant imagine ever using the camera on an iPad especially without flash as you would need perfect lighting conditions. The 720p video on the 2 once again is sufficient.

I think selling and rebuying brand new and staying within profit makes perfect sense especially if your happy with what you have. I do this with all my gadgets. I keep all the original packaging in pristine condition along with the receipt, get good cases/covers for protection and throw in a few expensive looking accessories from the 99p store, always works a treat. Thats how I got my iPhone by selling an android phone 1 year later for the exact same price I bought it for.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm happy with my iPad 1 and 2, especially now that iOS 5.1 has apparently eliminated the frequent RAM-related crashes I was having on iOS 5 and 5.0.1.

Cost isn't an issue if I want to add a new iPad, but I haven't found the new model compelling. If Apple does introduce a 7" or 8" iPad, as rumored (for what that's worth), I'll buy one without hesitation. Otherwise, I'm curious what else they'll debut this year, because Tim Cook said in his keynote that there's more coming.

princessbing1968

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would rather be behind 1 model and pay less money. :) The new iPad certainly looks beautiful but there will be another iPad coming out in the near future.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Daved2006 said:
I sold my much love iPad 2 before the keynote and got a decent price for it. If I want to upgrade it will cost me £80 or I can get a brand new iPad 2 again and be £27 up. I also want to get a new case and square trade as I dropped my iPad 2 about 4 times and luckily it did not break or even scratch. So all in all if I was to upgrade I dont really want to spend all that money with the extras.

Yesterday I asked my partners sister who works for Apple to order me the iPad 2 which she will do on Friday but the past few days I've been very undecided changing my mind constantly. There is a lot of Apple haters proclaiming the iPad 2 is dead but I don't buy this rubbish and part of my decision is that I still believe the iPad 2 will be fully supported over the next year, granted there may be a handful of apps that will surface that may not be compatible.

I can fully understand new iPad owners going straight for the new iPad which I would probably do as well if I was a new owner but over the past 6 months I have been very happy with my iPad 2 and the new features are not enough for me to want to upgrade. That's not to say I'm am not impressed by them or I was expecting more, I have just thought a lot about whether I really need them enough to spend more money upgrading.

So who else is not upgrading and will be happy to hang on to their iPad 2 which is surely not dead just yet.

No way!!! I am sticking with my 2!!! No need for me to upgrade right now.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF.net

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I think the new iPad is a great device it's just not enough of a step up from our 2s to justify going for it. I'm sure another version down the line will have the kind of upgrades and features that'll make it worth trading up. Not sure what those would be but I'm sure Tim Cook will let me know when they're here.:D

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm sticking with my original iPad 1
Both for reasons of money and really don't see the need too.
Very happy with what I use it for and what it can do.

Most reactions

Latest posts