What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad 2 App Updates (Retina Display)

NikonGuyJules

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I read a story about IPad 3 (THE NEW IPAD) apps can/may take up to 2 to 3 times the amount of storage space than the IPad 2, mainly due to its Retina Display.

If this is the case, and I believe that it is the case, should I even bother updating said apps from the App Store that advise that one of the updates is Retina Display capability, and if so, is doing the update eating up storage space that I may need on my IPad 2.

Thank you for your responses

NikonGuyJules

SNOWDROP252

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most of the game apps on my iPad2 have been UPDATED via Apps Store, due it says, "accomodating the new Retina display."

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd do as OP proposes if I had an iPad with limited storage. I'd find it annoying to update apps individually, rather than do an update all, though. Also, developers will be mixing in new features, bug fixes and such as they continue to upgrade apps. You'd have to miss out on those, too. It's up to each user, of course.

Both my iPads are 64GB models. I think I'll be OK even with the larger app files, so I'm going to update every app as needed.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm one that will not be updating to the new retina capable apps on iPad 1&2 (iOS 5.1 as well)- as long as I can. My point is that all my apps are working well now so I'm not interested in bug fixes that don't seem to affect me. I am disappointed I didn't down load "keynote" before it upgraded because now it seems almost twice as large. Wish I could down load the version just before the upgrade.....

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm one that will not be updating to the new retina capable apps on iPad 1&2 (iOS 5.1 as well)- as long as I can. My point is that all my apps are working well now so I'm not interested in bug fixes that don't seem to affect me. I am disappointed I didn't down load "keynote" before it upgraded because now it seems almost twice as large. Wish I could down load the version just before the upgrade.....

If your Keynote is working (presumably why you didn't upgrade before) no need to upgrade anyway, following your reasoning.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I didn't purchase keynote at all. I have no version......

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bummer. It's a nice app.

If you'd use it only occasionally, you could buy, use, delete and reload each time you need it. But that could be a pain with frequent use.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts