So, ipad 2 users, what are your upgrade/update plans?

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by s2mikey, Nov 29, 2012.

1. s2mikey

s2mikey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Just curious for those who only have an iPad 2 what your plans are regarding upgrades or chasing down the latest model?

Personally I'm sticking with my iPad 2 until it starts giving me trouble. It's still works just like it did when I got it a year and two months ago. I haven't stumbled upon any apps that it can't run and the battery keeps chugging along. I can appreciate the retina display but its not enough to upgrade, IMO. So for now, I'm staying pat! Maybe I'm not stressing mine enough or something. I dunno!

2. MoonlitSonata

MoonlitSonata
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Going to the 4, giving dad the 2.

3. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I am keeping my iPad 2 until it begins to show its age. So far like you, s2mikey, I haven't seen any deterioration...except having to close out apps a little bit more. I may not be using it to its full potential as others here, don't know if that makes a difference. I have been very happy with it since the day I bought it to now. I'd like to add to my collection an iPad mini though. Have been hoping that the rumors were true and now it's here. So may look to buy one of those...or wait for the retina display one. Not sure yet!;)

4. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Keeping mine until it dies.

I may buy a new one at some point, but I'll still have uses for my 2, which it will still be good for.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

5. oberkc

oberkc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    For my purposes, the 3 and 4 models offer no advantages (certainaly none worth spending hundreds of dollars for).

6. iJamesH

iJamesH
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Hmmmm Retina Display,more memory,better camera sounds like more of an advantage to me.

7. oberkc

oberkc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I am glad that you place greater value on the "improvements" made to the iPad. I make no attempt to deny that, for some people, this may be an advantage for which it is worth spending hundreds of dollars. Not for me. I was offering my opinion only.

For my purposes (a caveat I included originally), which is basically web surfing, reading newspapers, email, texting, calendar, the improvements you state hold marginal value at best. I don't take pictures with the iPad. I understand that any increase in RAM was driven by the increased display density, so this offers NO independent value to me. While the retina display is marginally detectable by me and my friends with some text characters, I do not see this as a HUGE improvement. The newer version iPads also come with some equally-marginal downsides such as added weight and thickness. I view this as a minor upgrade overall.

Others do appear to greatly appreciate the new display. I am happy with the old.

8. cruiser111

cruiser111
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Been using my iPad 2 for about seven months. Keep liking it more each time we get together. Daily. The battery time is outstanding, as is everything else about this sweet machine.

'Upgrade' to what now? Go to what different size? (Gently, with feeling, closing the cover, hearing the click, and caressing my iPad, my pal.)

9. Devynquinn

Devynquinn
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I upgraded to 4th gen the day it came out and gave 2 to my sister. For good measure, I also got an iPad mini.

10. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've got an iPad 3 as well as an iPad mini, but have no plans to get rid of my iPad 2.