What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrading ipad2

Jiff777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I just purchased a used iPad 2 from someone who has not used it in a couple of years. This is my first Apple product and I am therefore ignorant in the world of Apple. My question... The iPad has presently ioS 6.1.3 and it is wanting to update to 9.2.1. Is there any way to be able to just update to ios 7. When I try to install Apps from the store most say I need to update to at least ios 7 or ios 8. Iwant to be able to at least install a few apps without bogging the iPad 2 down. I was warned that installing 9.2.1 would cripple the iPad being an older model. Thanks in advance.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm afraid that the only iOS version that you can update to is iOS 9.2,1. There's no way to update to any other version as Apple is no longer signing older versions and trying to install them will fail at the verification stage.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello, I just purchased a used iPad 2 from someone who has not used it in a couple of years. This is my first Apple product and I am therefore ignorant in the world of Apple. My question... The iPad has presently ioS 6.1.3 and it is wanting to update to 9.2.1. Is there any way to be able to just update to ios 7. When I try to install Apps from the store most say I need to update to at least ios 7 or ios 8. Iwant to be able to at least install a few apps without bogging the iPad 2 down. I was warned that installing 9.2.1 would cripple the iPad being an older model. Thanks in advance.

Hi Jiff777 - welcome to the forum! :) Sorry, that your first Apple product, the iPad 2 which was released early 2011, is likely to disappoint and hopefully will not dissuade you from their other newer iDevices. I used an iPad 2 for 3 1/2 years which was replaced w/ an iPad Air 2 just over a year ago - the difference for me was a 'night and day' experience.

As already stated, your options if wanting to continue to use the old iPad is to stay at iOS 6.x w/ the app limitations or to risk an upgrade to iOS 9.x - here's an excellent Ars Technica Review of this issue - not sure that you have much to lose if the present state of your iDevice is of not much use to you? Of course, you could start budgeting for a much newer replacement and keep Apple's Refurbished models in mind - these come w/ a one year warranty. Good luck - Dave

OP
J

Jiff777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I actually had a iPad Air as a work tool a few years past and was most impressed with the battery life. I generally use a Galaxy Note 8.0 tablet but had the opportunity to get the iPad 2 for $50. It had been sitting in a drawer for a couple of years and is in mint condition. That being said, I figured I had nothing to lose and went ahead and updated to 9.2.1. I am very happy to say it is running smooth as silk. Very pleased. My daughter has an iPad Air 2 and it is obviously much nicer but I may take the plunge for a newer iPad in the future. I am very much tied to the Android ecosystem with a Galaxy Note phone and tablet, but I find this iPad a lot of fun also. Once again thanks for the response and welcome.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad your iPad is working well. Many users have reported problems after updating an iPad 2 to iOS 9. It's good that you seem to have avoided those problems.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm glad your iPad is working well. Many users have reported problems after updating an iPad 2 to iOS 9. It's good that you seem to have avoided those problems.

@ Jiff777 - well, glad that you gave the upgrade a try and was successful - I'm sure the 'new' experience will prompt you to look further into a more modern iPad model - good luck! Dave :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Pit bull puppy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i upgraded my iPad 2 to iOS 9.3.1 and it works like a charm. it is a much better device than any android product like the mac laptops are far superior to windows laptops.

Reaction score
I have had my ipad 2 for five years without any problems. I'm afraid to try an upgrade. I don't want to risk messing up what I have now.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have had my ipad 2 for five years without any problems. I'm afraid to try an upgrade. I don't want to risk messing up what I have now.

Well, as already discussed in this thread, you have an 'old' iPad - what iOS are you using now? And, are you happy w/ how the device handles your current needs? If so, you may be happy to simply stay w/ your present setup - NOW, if there are new hardware and/or software features that you desire, then another consideration - not sure that the next iOS upgrade will include the iPad 2? Just a guess, so w/ a 5 year old machine, you might want to consider getting a newer device in the near future. Dave :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iOS = 7.1.2
I'm not a gamer.

Well, neither am I (play a few card games & Sudoku) - last year, I went from an iPad 2 (after 3+ years) to an iPad Air 2 (some basic spec differences quoted below) - much better chip, more RAM, and the retina screen resolution is worth the price - plus, other great features, e.g. I love the ID fingerprint technology - you really don't need to be a 'gamer' to upgrade - believe that you would like to but the price may be an issue? Don't know - but my jump from the older, slower, and larger/heavier iPad 2 was a JOY! Dave :)

iPad 2 - release date 2011
RAM 512 MB
Apple A5 Chip
1024x768 @ 132 ppi

iPad Air 2 - release date 2014
RAM 2 GB
Apple AX8 Chip
1536 x 2048 @ 264 ppi

Nepheler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't recommend the uprgade, I upgraded our iPad 2 to iOS8 and it becomes extremenely slow. Probably it is related to the limit storge. My iPad 2 is 16GB.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't recommend the uprgade, I upgraded our iPad 2 to iOS8 and it becomes extremenely slow. Probably it is related to the limit storge. My iPad 2 is 16GB.

Well, not sure that the storage is the issue (unless filled to capacity?), but more likely the dated processor - there is much on the web about the iPad 2 being upgraded to the latest iOS versions, such as 8.x & 9.x, and the discussion seems to imply that going to 9.x works as well as the previous upgrade; however, the iPad 2 is still not equipped to take advantage of many of the newer hardware/software features that the recent operating systems on newer iPads offer - the beginning of the Ars Technica article quoted below emphasizes this point - but for those still contemplating this iOS upgrade, read the rest of the discussion in the link - seems like 9.x will work just as well, possibly better on the old iDevice? Dave :)

iOS 9 on the iPad 2 is so different from iOS 9 on the iPad Air 2 that they might as well be two different versions of the operating system. That's not really intended as a criticism—the iPad Air 2 is also somewhere around eight or nine times faster than the iPad 2, depending on the benchmark—just a statement of fact.

We're not just talking about the multitasking features, either. The iPad 2 has been missing out on features one by one for years, mostly because of hardware limitations. No Siri-compatible microphone setup means no Siri, or any Siri-powered features. No Bluetooth 4.0 means no AirDrop and no Handoff. An aging Apple A5 means no translucency effects (odd, since other A5 devices, including the largely identical iPad Mini, do support this feature) and none of iOS 9's context-driven Intelligence stuff. No burst photos, no HDR, no panorama, no slow-mo video, no Apple Pay, no TouchID, no Retina, no Metal. It's a list of "no" as long as your arm.

Most reactions

Latest posts