Upgrading ipad2

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by Jiff777, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Jiff777

Jiff777
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hello, I just purchased a used iPad 2 from someone who has not used it in a couple of years. This is my first Apple product and I am therefore ignorant in the world of Apple. My question... The iPad has presently ioS 6.1.3 and it is wanting to update to 9.2.1. Is there any way to be able to just update to ios 7. When I try to install Apps from the store most say I need to update to at least ios 7 or ios 8. Iwant to be able to at least install a few apps without bogging the iPad 2 down. I was warned that installing 9.2.1 would cripple the iPad being an older model. Thanks in advance.

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm afraid that the only iOS version that you can update to is iOS 9.2,1. There's no way to update to any other version as Apple is no longer signing older versions and trying to install them will fail at the verification stage.

#2 scifan57, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Jiff777 - welcome to the forum! :) Sorry, that your first Apple product, the iPad 2 which was released early 2011, is likely to disappoint and hopefully will not dissuade you from their other newer iDevices. I used an iPad 2 for 3 1/2 years which was replaced w/ an iPad Air 2 just over a year ago - the difference for me was a 'night and day' experience.

As already stated, your options if wanting to continue to use the old iPad is to stay at iOS 6.x w/ the app limitations or to risk an upgrade to iOS 9.x - here's an excellent Ars Technica Review of this issue - not sure that you have much to lose if the present state of your iDevice is of not much use to you? Of course, you could start budgeting for a much newer replacement and keep Apple's Refurbished models in mind - these come w/ a one year warranty. Good luck - Dave

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Jiff777

Jiff777
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the response. I actually had a iPad Air as a work tool a few years past and was most impressed with the battery life. I generally use a Galaxy Note 8.0 tablet but had the opportunity to get the iPad 2 for $50. It had been sitting in a drawer for a couple of years and is in mint condition. That being said, I figured I had nothing to lose and went ahead and updated to 9.2.1. I am very happy to say it is running smooth as silk. Very pleased. My daughter has an iPad Air 2 and it is obviously much nicer but I may take the plunge for a newer iPad in the future. I am very much tied to the Android ecosystem with a Galaxy Note phone and tablet, but I find this iPad a lot of fun also. Once again thanks for the response and welcome.

5. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm glad your iPad is working well. Many users have reported problems after updating an iPad 2 to iOS 9. It's good that you seem to have avoided those problems.

#5 scifan57, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    @ Jiff777 - well, glad that you gave the upgrade a try and was successful - I'm sure the 'new' experience will prompt you to look further into a more modern iPad model - good luck! Dave :)

#6 giradman, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2016
  7. Pit bull puppy

Pit bull puppy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    i upgraded my iPad 2 to iOS 9.3.1 and it works like a charm. it is a much better device than any android product like the mac laptops are far superior to windows laptops.

8. Billy JoeBob Roylee

Billy JoeBob Roylee
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have had my ipad 2 for five years without any problems. I'm afraid to try an upgrade. I don't want to risk messing up what I have now.

9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Well, as already discussed in this thread, you have an 'old' iPad - what iOS are you using now? And, are you happy w/ how the device handles your current needs? If so, you may be happy to simply stay w/ your present setup - NOW, if there are new hardware and/or software features that you desire, then another consideration - not sure that the next iOS upgrade will include the iPad 2? Just a guess, so w/ a 5 year old machine, you might want to consider getting a newer device in the near future. Dave :)

10. Billy JoeBob Roylee

Billy JoeBob Roylee
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    iOS = 7.1.2
    I'm not a gamer.