What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to iPads - Connecting to a work computer and home laptop? Do I have to upgrade?

seamus517

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, total Apple noob here getting ready to jump in with both feet. Here’s my scenario.

I’ve got a Windows 7 64-bit Laptop at home with iTunes 9.2.1 snyched to my iPod classic. Just music/podcasts. No other media.

I’m about to get an iPad 2 for mainly work purposes (certain software available only on the iPad) but would put music/movies on there too. My work machine is 32-bit Windows XP. I’ve heard that the first machine you sync a new iPad to becomes the “master†machine for it.

Since it’s an iPad 2, I understand that I need iTunes 10.x in order to “activate†it, but I do not like iTunes 10 and would like to preserve iTunes 9.2.1 on my home machine. (But if it really is the best scenario, I could maybe learn to like it.)

So what I am thinking is, setup iTunes 9.2.1 on my WORK machine, perform the steps in the article ( iPad Guru Guide: Sync Your iPad with Multiple Computers (it wouldn't let me post link). I also have the entire iTunes folder (including media) from my home computer + iTunes 9.2.1 installation file on my work hard drive) and then upgrade my work machine iTunes to 10.x so that it can activate my iPad. I don’t buy much on iTunes, just use it to get MP3s to my iPod, and iPad would be similar, but I do need to buy certain apps for the iPad.

Does this sound feasible? Or since I don’t want to upgrade my home computer, should I just intstall iTunes 10+ at work and “activate†that computer to my iTunes account and be done with it, have 2 iTunes setups going, manually adding media to both computers when adding new media?

And how will JB affect all of this? If I can find a 4.3.3 to JB, can I use iTunes 9.2.1 to sync my iPad 2 after JB or does it absolutely need 10.2? Or could I move files manually?

This is all hard to get my mind around for a new Apple user, what you can and can’t do.

Any tips on finding a 4.3.3? Or should I not worry and upgrade for iOS 5 and wait for that to be JB?

All comments welcome…many thanks in advance.

liable

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are looking for an older device with 4.3.3 on it goto toys r us or radio shack they usally have older stock, as to your question on itunes you could set up 2 differnt computers but i dont see the point you should just upgrade your itunes why keep all files all over?

liable

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More than likly you will just upgrade to iOS5 any way so why wast the time looking around for an older device

OP
S

seamus517

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. To answer your questions:

I would rather be JB than on iOS 5 (for now).

I and I was looking for a way to get around having to upgrade iTunes 9 to iTunes 10, I had it on my old laptop, and didn't like it nearly as much.

Does anyone know if I can:

1) create a restore point
2) upgrade to iTunes 10
3) activate my iPad 2
4) go to previous restore point, downgrading back to iTunes 9
5) then continue to sync my iPad 2 with iTunes 9?

Most reactions

Latest posts