New to iPads - Connecting to a work computer and home laptop? Do I have to upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by seamus517, Oct 5, 2011.

1. seamus517

seamus517 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, total Apple noob here getting ready to jump in with both feet. Here’s my scenario.

I’ve got a Windows 7 64-bit Laptop at home with iTunes 9.2.1 snyched to my iPod classic. Just music/podcasts. No other media.

I’m about to get an iPad 2 for mainly work purposes (certain software available only on the iPad) but would put music/movies on there too. My work machine is 32-bit Windows XP. I’ve heard that the first machine you sync a new iPad to becomes the “master†machine for it.

Since it’s an iPad 2, I understand that I need iTunes 10.x in order to “activate†it, but I do not like iTunes 10 and would like to preserve iTunes 9.2.1 on my home machine. (But if it really is the best scenario, I could maybe learn to like it.)

So what I am thinking is, setup iTunes 9.2.1 on my WORK machine, perform the steps in the article ( iPad Guru Guide: Sync Your iPad with Multiple Computers (it wouldn't let me post link). I also have the entire iTunes folder (including media) from my home computer + iTunes 9.2.1 installation file on my work hard drive) and then upgrade my work machine iTunes to 10.x so that it can activate my iPad. I don’t buy much on iTunes, just use it to get MP3s to my iPod, and iPad would be similar, but I do need to buy certain apps for the iPad.

Does this sound feasible? Or since I don’t want to upgrade my home computer, should I just intstall iTunes 10+ at work and “activate†that computer to my iTunes account and be done with it, have 2 iTunes setups going, manually adding media to both computers when adding new media?

And how will JB affect all of this? If I can find a 4.3.3 to JB, can I use iTunes 9.2.1 to sync my iPad 2 after JB or does it absolutely need 10.2? Or could I move files manually?

This is all hard to get my mind around for a new Apple user, what you can and can’t do.

Any tips on finding a 4.3.3? Or should I not worry and upgrade for iOS 5 and wait for that to be JB?

All comments welcome…many thanks in advance.

2. liable

liable iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you are looking for an older device with 4.3.3 on it goto toys r us or radio shack they usally have older stock, as to your question on itunes you could set up 2 differnt computers but i dont see the point you should just upgrade your itunes why keep all files all over?

3. liable

liable iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    More than likly you will just upgrade to iOS5 any way so why wast the time looking around for an older device

4. seamus517

seamus517 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the responses. To answer your questions:

I would rather be JB than on iOS 5 (for now).

I and I was looking for a way to get around having to upgrade iTunes 9 to iTunes 10, I had it on my old laptop, and didn't like it nearly as much.

Does anyone know if I can:

1) create a restore point
    2) upgrade to iTunes 10
    3) activate my iPad 2
    4) go to previous restore point, downgrading back to iTunes 9
    5) then continue to sync my iPad 2 with iTunes 9?