What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this legit

Reaction score
I received this email today. I'm very hesitant to click on links in emails. Does this sound legit? Has anyone else received the same email? My old Ipad 2 is 7.1.2.
Thanks.

"Hi Bill,
We’ve noticed that you access your Yahoo Mail from a mobile device that uses an older operating system. We are currently in the process of updating our Yahoo Mail services. As a result, Yahoo Mail will stop working on mobile devices using operating systems iOS 9.2.1 or Android 4.0.4 or older in the next few months.

We strongly recommend that you update the operating system on your mobile phone or tablet now to avoid any future interruption to your Yahoo Mail access.

1. On an Android phone or tablet, update your operating system to Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) or later. Learn more: EDITED

2. On an iPhone or iPad, upgrade your operating system to iOS 9.3 or later. Learn how: EDITED

If you are unable or decide not to update your device operating system, we recommend that you use Yahoo Mail on the mobile web at:EDITED.

If you’ve already taken action on this, you may disregard this email.

Thanks for being a loyal Yahoo Mail user.

Sincerely,
Yahoo Mail"

Last edited by a moderator:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Billy.... - my wife got the identical presumably Yahoo email on her iDevice recently - hovering over the URLs did not help me much; however, an email w/ your first name is fishy to me; second, her device was already at iOS 10.2 (a version up from the suggestion made) - bottom line is that I felt it was a phishing message and told her to not click on any links and to delete the message; plus, I did not receive the same message on my iPad Air 2.

I also told her to contact Yahoo and their response was not too helpful but suggested a phishing attempt; remember that Yahoo has been hacked X 2 w/ 1.5 billion accounts possibly compromised in some fashion - my wife has changed her password several times. My advice is to delete the message, contact Yahoo, and change your password. Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It appears to be a phishing scam. Do not click on any the links. The links are made to look legitimate, but redirct to sites that have nothing to do with Google, Yahoo, or Apple.

I got this myself, but thought nothing of it because I turned on an old Nexus 7 for the first time in a long time today. That said, even when I kind of trust the info of any email like this, I never use the links embeded in the email. Instead I got directly to the site and look for the same info there.

As near as I can tell, there is no info on the Yahoo site about this change; and I would expect them to make a big deal about something that would affect a lot of their customers.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did some checking and the latest information I could find on this subject was Yahoo announcing that they're dropping support for devices running iOS 4 and earlier back in the summer of 2015. Dropping support for an iOS version only a year old does seem suspicious.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
More telling is that they talk about their emal services, not their app. Email services standards are fairly stable, and not really tied to the operating systems, just the the email apps you use on those systems.

If they were to change the way their email works enough to keep the current crop of email apps from working, they would be cutting off almost all of their customers. Or, actually, all of them, since as far as I know there are no new email standards to upgrade to.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks y'all. That's what I was thinking, too. See the link near the bottom of the email I received (Yahoo - login). When I copied and pasted that link on to another page I was amazed at how long it was. I didn't click on the link to open it; just copied it. I couldn't make out anything about it but it made me very suspicious.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This quote from Yahoo's Help section may be of interest -
Please note that the emails from Yahoo about this issue will display the Yahoo
gen_ybng_02.png
icon
when viewed through the Yahoo website or Yahoo Mail app. Importantly, the emails do not ask you to click on any links or contain attachments and does notrequest your personal information. If an email you received about these issues prompts you to click on any links, download an attachment, or asks you for information, the email was not sent by Yahoo and may be an attempt to steal your personal information. Avoid clicking on links or downloading attachments from such suspicious emails.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This quote from Yahoo's Help section may be of interest -
Please note that the emails from Yahoo about this issue will display the Yahoo
gen_ybng_02.png
icon
when viewed through the Yahoo website or Yahoo Mail app. Importantly, the emails do not ask you to click on any links or contain attachments and does notrequest your personal information. If an email you received about these issues prompts you to click on any links, download an attachment, or asks you for information, the email was not sent by Yahoo and may be an attempt to steal your personal information. Avoid clicking on links or downloading attachments from such suspicious emails.

Yep - the above is the same Yahoo response my wife received - in general, if an email appears to be a phishing or scam message, then do not respond, don't call a phone number, nor click on any links. Check w/ the website in question, as above for further accurate information; also, some websites will have a link to send a questionable spurious email, which I've done in the past. Dave :)

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't trust any emails or click on any unknown links it is a very unsafe world out there on the internet. and people will do anything to get your information. Only open emails you know are from someone you know. just some simple advice.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Don't trust any emails or click on any unknown links it is a very unsafe world out there on the internet. and people will do anything to get your information. Only open emails you know are from someone you know. just some simple advice.

Well, even the statement above in bold can cause harm - if a friend or relative's email is hacked, then their addresses can be spoofed, spam can be sent to contacts, and malicious links included - plenty on the web about this issue, such as HERE, for those interested. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts