What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 Rebirth

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
Compliments Apple re: customer service.

My iPad 2 (5 years old this August) died last week. From grey screen to black to the iTunes symbol / charging cable display. Numerous attempts to update and restore failed. The device became very clunky after iOS 7. Each new iOS update made things worse. By iOS 9.1 it was barely functional with frequent app crashes.

Before heading to the Apple Store (likely to get a new iPad) I called Apple Support. I was soon connected to 'Bob' in Georgia, USA. For the next 30 minutes Bob professionally and patiently went through a variety of steps attempting to kick-start the device. Nothing was working. He decided to tackle the problem from the iTunes end, specifically my Windows 10 computer. BIAG! Bob Is A Genius! The device was now connected to iTunes and recognized but it refused to update, throwing a couple of error codes in the process. After a few more attempts he recommended we try a wipe and restore to factory settings. After a very long session of dark screen the white Apple appeared and a progress bar followed.
The wipe, restore took about 15 minutes.

It's been 5 days and the iPad 2 (9.2.1) is operating like new out of the box.

Thanks Bob. Thanks Apple.

Adama

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's wonderful news! I wonder how many people in your situation ended up buying a new iPad because they thought theirs was done for.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Love hearing storie like that. It reinforces why I love Apple so much! Both my parents have iPad 2s', but I have not update it to iOS 8. At least I didn't, they may have without my knowing it. Nonetheless, both are working well!

Pit bull puppy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has the very best customer service, I have a 2007 MacBook that I wanted to update to a newer version OS X and found out the latest it can run is lion.... Couldn't find the lion download in the App Store. Went to my local Apple Store and they installed lion for me for no charge plus replaced the MagSafe charger for free since the cord was cracking. Same with my iPad 2 that my neighbor was going to throw out since the front glass was cracked. They helped me glue the broken piece of glass back in to where it looks like it was never broken plus ran a full health check told me it is like new condition and updated the software to iOS 9.3.1 at no charge. Of course I bought the case/stand from them. I will always be a loyal Apple customer

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple has the very best customer service, I have a 2007 MacBook that I wanted to update to a newer version OS X and found out the latest it can run is lion.... Couldn't find the lion download in the App Store. Went to my local Apple Store and they installed lion for me for no charge plus replaced the MagSafe charger for free since the cord was cracking. Same with my iPad 2 that my neighbor was going to throw out since the front glass was cracked. They helped me glue the broken piece of glass back in to where it looks like it was never broken plus ran a full health check told me it is like new condition and updated the software to iOS 9.3.1 at no charge. Of course I bought the case/stand from them. I will always be a loyal Apple customer

Wow-just love hearing about great Apple Experiences. I've also experienced similar customer service from my Apple Store as well!

Most reactions

Latest posts