Unable to access goodreader files since ios11 update

Discussion in 'User News Submissions' started by ReelHuka, Sep 26, 2017.

1. ReelHuka

ReelHuka
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the advice....will try connecting to a computer with iTunes, and if that doesn’t work will spend a few bucks and download the new app to see if the migration happens.
    Really appreciate the time you both have given!
    Cheers

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Looks like File Sharing is still a feature in the newest version of iTunes. Instead of being burried in the Applications section, it now has it’s own area.

3. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    If iTunes does not work, iMazing is a third party Mac/PC app that can transfer files to/from your iPad. It even mentions GoodReader; however that might not include old versions. It probably has more complete access to your iPad’s file system than iTunes’s File Transfer.

It’s free to download, so probably has a trial mode of some sort.

Since iTunes has removed some of it’s App Store features, a lot of people have been suggesting iMazing for those missing tasks and more. Matter of fact, pretty much everyone (who cares) is simultaniously complaining about Apple removing the features (without giving us an app to replace them) and praising iMazing for being so much better than iTunes was at those tasks. o_O

Note: If it turns out you have to pay before seeing if it will retreieve your GoodReader directory, ask their support team before buying.

Disclaimer: I’ve never used iMazing, I just read/heard about it from several blogs and podcasts.

4. ReelHuka

ReelHuka
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Update...
    Thanks chaps (or chapettes) for your time and help. Was able to download the files by plugging into a computer and accessing my version of goodreader through iTunes.
    Much relief.Really appreciate your time.
    Best regards!!

5. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Awesome. I’m glad it worked.

6. Guinds

Guinds
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Had the same problem.
    I downloaded the latest version of GoodReader and connected to iTunes and copied the files from the old GoodReader to my computer and then copied them to the new GoodReader

7. Susan Elbaum

Susan Elbaum
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I had to try the second method but the url provided in Good Reader did not lead to a website but only to a Google search result page about domain names. Can you suggest what to do now? Thank you.

8. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    If the URL sent you to a search page, then you probably entered it slightly wrong. Or, you were not on the same network as the computer. Or . . . I don’t know.

Make sure you enter the URL exactly as it appears. Any mistake, especially in the first (http://) part, can make Google think you are doing a search instead of going to a URL.

The iPad must be on the same wi-fi network as the iPad, and GoodReader must be open on the iPad.

I don’t know what else to suggest.

9. Susan Elbaum

Susan Elbaum
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thank you very much for your suggestions. Not Keeping Good Reader open was mymain problem. In the end I loaded itunes on my pc and then used goodreaderusb which I found more or less by chance. Very glad to have all my Good Reader folders and files.

10. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Awesome. I’m glad you found a way to retrieve your files. I forgot all about GoodReaderUSB. I never used it myself.