What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unable to access goodreader files since ios11 update

Guinds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had the same problem.
I downloaded the latest version of GoodReader and connected to iTunes and copied the files from the old GoodReader to my computer and then copied them to the new GoodReader

Susan Elbaum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh my. I hadn’t noticed that GoodReader hasn’t had an update since iOS 9. Not good.

I have have two methods of getting files out of GoodReaderthat seem to work for me.

The first one only works if you enabled iCloud Drive with GoodReader. In that case the iCloud > GoodReader directory in the Files app is still there. I moved a few files/folder to the iCloud directory, and they showd up in Files. The next move (which I did not test) would be to move the (using Files) to another directory; either on the iPad or another iCloud (or other cloud service) directory.

I had only one glitch with this method. I tried to move a synced directory, and it would not go. I also had problems deleting and/or unsyncing the directory. Turns out that I had deleted taht directory in DropBox. I was forced to recreate the directory using the DropBox app (folder name must be exact), letting it sync again, then disconnecting it in the Connections panel. Once did that the folder moved easily.

I mention this because I seem to remember you asking about this problem in an earlier post; which I wasn’t ablet to address due to out-and-aboutness.

Hold in mind that unless you have purchased additional iCloud storage, or your GoodReader files are small, you may have to do it in stages.

The second method is clumsier. Turn on the Wi-Fi drive feature at the bottom left of the control panel. Using a desktop or laptop computer enter the URL address provided. You’ll get a web page that will let you browse and download your files from the GoodReader app. It’s not a great interface. You’ll have to download them one at a time, and deal with them like any other file you downloaded in a web browser; but it’s better than nothing.

To make things faster, you could probably use GoodReader’s Zip feature to combine folders and files. That way you can download them all at once (might take a while) then unzip them on the laptop/desktop.

You could also use the zip utility and move fils to the iCloud Folder, and unzip them in a compatible app like Documents. However, since you can move entire folders this won’t save much time.

Anyway, I’m off to see if any of the files I have in GoodReader are worth saving, and then taking my own advice.

Good luck.

View attachment 79640
The second method is clumsier. Turn on the Wi-Fi drive feature at the bottom left of the control panel. Using a desktop or laptop computer enter the URL address provided. You’ll get a web page that will let you browse and download your files from the GoodReader app. It’s not a great interface. You’ll have to download them one at a time, and deal with them like any other file you downloaded in a web browser; but it’s better than nothing.
I had to try the second method but the url provided in Good Reader did not lead to a website but only to a Google search result page about domain names. Can you suggest what to do now? Thank you.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I had to try the second method but the url provided in Good Reader did not lead to a website but only to a Google search result page about domain names. Can you suggest what to do now? Thank you.

If the URL sent you to a search page, then you probably entered it slightly wrong. Or, you were not on the same network as the computer. Or . . . I don’t know.

Make sure you enter the URL exactly as it appears. Any mistake, especially in the first (http://) part, can make Google think you are doing a search instead of going to a URL.

The iPad must be on the same wi-fi network as the iPad, and GoodReader must be open on the iPad.

I don’t know what else to suggest.

Susan Elbaum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the URL sent you to a search page, then you probably entered it slightly wrong. Or, you were not on the same network as the computer. Or . . . I don’t know.

Make sure you enter the URL exactly as it appears. Any mistake, especially in the first (http://) part, can make Google think you are doing a search instead of going to a URL.

The iPad must be on the same wi-fi network as the iPad, and GoodReader must be open on the iPad.

I don’t know what else to suggest.
Thank you very much for your suggestions. Not Keeping Good Reader open was mymain problem. In the end I loaded itunes on my pc and then used goodreaderusb which I found more or less by chance. Very glad to have all my Good Reader folders and files.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your suggestions. Not Keeping Good Reader open was mymain problem. In the end I loaded itunes on my pc and then used goodreaderusb which I found more or less by chance. Very glad to have all my Good Reader folders and files.

Awesome. I’m glad you found a way to retrieve your files. I forgot all about GoodReaderUSB. I never used it myself.

Most reactions

Latest posts