What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unable to access goodreader files since ios11 update

ReelHuka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi all
Just updated iPad to iOS 11 and have found I am unable to access goodreader...
Have since read up and it appears I should have researched first as there is plenty of info to suggest that goodreader was not going to be compatible with the new operating system.
Can anyone suggest how I can get my files out of goodreader?
I am definitely NOT an IT whiz, so it will need to be “easy-to-follow” directions if there is a way.
Thanks in advance for any help!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oh my. I hadn’t noticed that GoodReader hasn’t had an update since iOS 9. Not good.

I have have two methods of getting files out of GoodReaderthat seem to work for me.

The first one only works if you enabled iCloud Drive with GoodReader. In that case the iCloud > GoodReader directory in the Files app is still there. I moved a few files/folder to the iCloud directory, and they showd up in Files. The next move (which I did not test) would be to move the (using Files) to another directory; either on the iPad or another iCloud (or other cloud service) directory.

I had only one glitch with this method. I tried to move a synced directory, and it would not go. I also had problems deleting and/or unsyncing the directory. Turns out that I had deleted taht directory in DropBox. I was forced to recreate the directory using the DropBox app (folder name must be exact), letting it sync again, then disconnecting it in the Connections panel. Once did that the folder moved easily.

I mention this because I seem to remember you asking about this problem in an earlier post; which I wasn’t ablet to address due to out-and-aboutness.

Hold in mind that unless you have purchased additional iCloud storage, or your GoodReader files are small, you may have to do it in stages.

The second method is clumsier. Turn on the Wi-Fi drive feature at the bottom left of the control panel. Using a desktop or laptop computer enter the URL address provided. You’ll get a web page that will let you browse and download your files from the GoodReader app. It’s not a great interface. You’ll have to download them one at a time, and deal with them like any other file you downloaded in a web browser; but it’s better than nothing.

To make things faster, you could probably use GoodReader’s Zip feature to combine folders and files. That way you can download them all at once (might take a while) then unzip them on the laptop/desktop.

You could also use the zip utility and move fils to the iCloud Folder, and unzip them in a compatible app like Documents. However, since you can move entire folders this won’t save much time.

Anyway, I’m off to see if any of the files I have in GoodReader are worth saving, and then taking my own advice.

Good luck.

3F6C8BC9-0C04-4B31-B017-E90C88E58D4F.jpeg

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, all done. I used the iCloud Drive method, then created a folder in Files called GoodReader Rescue, copied all my files and folders there, and deleted the GoodReader app.

It’s important to move the files out of the original iCloud folder, because that folder will probably be deleted with the app. I’m not certain, because I manually deleted the original folder before I deleted GoodReader itself.

In the early iPad years GoodReader was that ‘essential’ app pretty much everyone used to do the things that you couldn’t do in iOS; or pretty much any other app. While I haven’t activly used GoodReader in a long time, I’m still going to miss them. They earned their place in iOS history.

Ok, done being sappy. I hope your file rescue goes as well.

OP
R

ReelHuka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your detailed reply!
Unfortunately I don’t think either of your 2 methods will work for me....I didn’t have iCloud Drive enabled, and I cannot get goodreader to even open, in order to try your second method...made wondering if it is due to it being an old non-updated version (V3.21.6). When I try to open goodreader, I get the flowing message....
[“Goodreader” needs to be updated. The developer of the app needs to update it to work with iOS 11]
Like I said, thanks for your efforts - I’m not holding my breath for a fix, but still hopeful!
Best regards....

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have you tried updating GoodReader in the App Store? It still shows up in my search results, so it should still be available for download in iOS 11.

Addendum: Heck, it’s still showing up in the Top Paid apps. Very strange. While the last note in GoodReader’s description says they are working on a ‘big’ update, that was over a year ago.

3B80EECE-6309-434A-A01E-044A0F00209C.jpeg

0B3390CB-6A1C-4781-B5FE-5E4FC8DF692B.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
R

ReelHuka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I checked that, but when I go to the App store, there is no link to update my Goodreader app - so in short, No, I have not been able to update it. (As an aside, the icon I have for goodreader is green and I see the one that is currently being advertised on the App store is blue...)
If I were to purchase the new Goodreader app, I'm presuming that it wont automatically replace the old goodreader and transfer over the files at the same time? Wishful thinking.......

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It might transfer/keep the old file directory. I’d check with GoodReader support before I did that.

When you see the app in the store, does it show the price? If it has a cloud icon, then you can download it for free.

GoodReader may have charged for an update ast some point (which means basically they made a new app). That would be why it doesn’t show up for download, if it doesn’t.

Keep in mind that unless you are signed into the same iCloud/iTunes account that you purchased the app with originally, it will also fail to show as an update.

Well, that’s about all I can think of. Good luck.

alexm1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is a new version of goodreader. It is a completely new release and needs to be downloaded independent of the usual update process. It is not an update, it is a new release. I updated before iOS 11 and there was a migration process that got the files from the old version to the new, not sure if it works after upgrading to 11.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I lied. I have another thought.

If you have a computer with iTunes installed on it, you can try connecting your iPad to the computer, selecting the iPad in iTunes, and going to the App tab/section. Scroll to the bottom of that screen and you should see the File Transfer section; where you can select and app and transfer files to/from it.

If I remember right, all but the iCloud folder should be there. I can’t check since I already deleted GoodReader.

DO NOT update iTunes to the latest version before trying this. Apple has removed the App Store and some other related features from iTunes with the latest iTunes vesion. File Transfer is probably gone.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is a new version of goodreader. It is a completely new release and needs to be downloaded independent of the usual update process. It is not an update, it is a new release. I updated before iOS 11 and there was a migration process that got the files from the old version to the new, not sure if it works after upgrading to 11.

Thanks for that info. I kind of remember doing that, but wasn’t sure.

Last edited:
OP
R

ReelHuka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice....will try connecting to a computer with iTunes, and if that doesn’t work will spend a few bucks and download the new app to see if the migration happens.
Really appreciate the time you both have given!
Cheers

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If iTunes does not work, iMazing is a third party Mac/PC app that can transfer files to/from your iPad. It even mentions GoodReader; however that might not include old versions. It probably has more complete access to your iPad’s file system than iTunes’s File Transfer.

It’s free to download, so probably has a trial mode of some sort.

Since iTunes has removed some of it’s App Store features, a lot of people have been suggesting iMazing for those missing tasks and more. Matter of fact, pretty much everyone (who cares) is simultaniously complaining about Apple removing the features (without giving us an app to replace them) and praising iMazing for being so much better than iTunes was at those tasks. o_O

Note: If it turns out you have to pay before seeing if it will retreieve your GoodReader directory, ask their support team before buying.

Disclaimer: I’ve never used iMazing, I just read/heard about it from several blogs and podcasts.

OP
R

ReelHuka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update...
Thanks chaps (or chapettes) for your time and help. Was able to download the files by plugging into a computer and accessing my version of goodreader through iTunes.
Much relief.Really appreciate your time.
Best regards!!

Most reactions