What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can GoodReader transfer/manage unsupported filetypes?

shighhopes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm determined to buy a new iPad, but first, I'd like to know, whether I can use it to manage my rather large library of PDF and DJVU files with a single application - without referring to DropBox/Cloud/etc.

I'm thinking of doing the following:
- Installing Goodreader and a DJVU reader app
- Transferring both the PDFs and DJVUs into Goodreader via USB with file sharing in iTunes
- Using Goodreader to put them into a folder structure of my liking, making it a substitute for a proper file manager
- Using the "Open with..." option in GoodReader to open the DJVUs with a reader supporting them (as GoodReader does not). Also opening the PDFs in another reader if I choose to do so for some reason (e.g using iAnnotate to annotate scanned PDFs).
Could this work?

I'm aware that Readdle can do something like this (at least according to its Manual), but I have seen GoodReader recommended more often as an eBook app.

Thanks in advance!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, Goodreader can act as a file drawer for files it cannot read.

I just put an ePub book on Goodreader, which is a format the app cannot read. I can move the file around within Goodreader (put it in a folder or sub folders, rename it, sort it, etc). The only thing I cannot do with it is open it to read it.

When I press the ePub to open it, I get a pop-up with options on how to open it. If I select PDF or graphics driver, nothing happens or it fully errors out. However, if I select to open with the TXT editor, it will open the file. It'll still error out (in that the ePub won't open, but I get the curvy arrow at the bottom of the screen that allows me to use the "Open In..." function to open that ePub in an app that CAN read ePubs.

Yeah, it's a few extra steps, but at least you will have a central file storage area. So, while I can't guarantee this will work for you with your files, I don't see why this won't work for you. Goodreader is an excellent 'file cabinet" app and I think you will be pleased with it.

Hope this reassures.

Marilyn

OP
S

shighhopes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh thanks!

One more thing: doesn't GoodReader has an "Open in.." option for files by default? It seemed so from what I saw of it.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, it does. But, what I noticed when I was playing was that if Goodreader had a problem opening the file under one of the options to use (e.g. It has an option to select "Graphics Viewer"), then the reading screen appeared blank. In that instance, while there was a little arrow, it wouldn't work when I pressed it and the screen showed/said "Unknown File Format." Here's a breakdown of what I got when I tried to use the Goodreader choices to open a file it can not read:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340285375.286448.jpg

NOTE: This pop-up doesn't appear if you open a file that Goodreader CAN read.

For the PDF option, it wouldn't open anything. Just errored out and said PDF format not recognized (which is expected, right? :)).

For the TXT and the Built-in options, while it wouldn't open the book - I did get this screen (and the curvy "Open In..." arrow worked):

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340285624.172980.jpg

Last, when I tried to use the Graphics option, I got this (and the curvy arrow did NOT work):

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340285714.210323.jpg

So, what I would expect (hope?) is that if you used Goodreader for your files, one of these four things would work. Heck, for all I know, Goodreader CAN read your files. However, I don't have them to test...

Better?

Marilyn

OP
S

shighhopes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, but according to the manual there should be an "Open in..." option in the "Manage files" panel, that's what I was referring to... :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why yes, yes there is:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340297395.023220.jpg

So, lots of ways to do it. Oh, and thanks. Never thought about using this panel to "Open In..." Look at me, learning something new, also! :D

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts