What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time Warner Cable App ***?

wrathchild

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My local cable company, Time Warner, has an app in the itunes store that allows costumers of Time Warner to use their idevices to stream live tv provided it is on your home network. It is a pretty cool app that allows me to watch my cable channels on my ipad mini anywhere in my house. I love this app. But a few days after I jailbreaked my mini I went to run the app while I was in my garage and got this message:

TWCTV is not supported on "jaibroken" devices.
Pleas restore your iOS device to factory defaults, then reinstall TWCTV.

First of all how the hell does Time Warner know that my ipad mini is jailbroken?
And second, why the hell does Time Warner even care that my ipad is jailbroken?
Has anyone else run into any other apps with this problem?

Sketchie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are some apps that can somehow, for some reason, mysteriously detect whether or not you're using a jailbroken device. I THINK Hulu+ is one of them, but I'm not 100% sure on it. But, yes, there are such apps.

Why they care whether or not you have a jailbroken device is beyond me. I'm guessing they were too overly paranoid with all the piracy apps and tweaks that can "steal" all their work that can be accessible through a jailbroken device.

It's their loss, they've (and several others) essentially locked themselves out of 7 million (it's probably much higher by now) potential customers (source: 7 Million iOS Devices Jailbroken With Evasi0n In Only 4 Days | iJailbreak.com).

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
If you search these pages you will find explanations why they do this, it is mainly due to security, but I won't give a 3000 word description to something that can be easily found, I know it's a pain, my Sky doesn't work for the exact same reason, but it's their app and their rules.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, Time Warner cares and they can/will detect a jail broken iPad.

However, there is a free tweak in Cydia called "Fake Time Warner (FTW)" that works just fine on my iDevices running 6.1. It "fools" Time Warner and allows you to run the app as if your iPad is stock.

Marilyn

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to mention - the tweak is FakeTimeWarner (all one word). Makes it easier to find in Cydia... :)

Last edited:

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had this same issue. I use a different tweak called Xcon. This Fools the Time Warner app into thinking that the iPad is not jailbroken. It also fools other apps.

OP
wrathchild

wrathchild

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had this same issue. I use a different tweak called Xcon. This Fools the Time Warner app into thinking that the iPad is not jailbroken. It also fools other apps.

Thanks so much for the info. Worked like a charm.

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Yes, Time Warner cares and they can/will detect a jail broken iPad.

However, there is a free tweak in Cydia called "Fake Time Warner (FTW)" that works just fine on my iDevices running 6.1. It "fools" Time Warner and allows you to run the app as if your iPad is stock.

Marilyn

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to mention - the tweak is FakeTimeWarner (all one word). Makes it easier to find in Cydia... :)

Anything for direct TV ?

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think they do it because they are afraid you may be able to tune in outside your home network. Normally they won't allow you to watch unless you are on your home-net. I wish it was otherwise, but...

Most reactions

Latest posts