What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking of updating to ios5

H

hazi1610

Did a search but couldn't find what I am looking for.

I am considering trying ios5 but am unsure what I need to do. I am currently on 4.3.3, jailbroken, ipad 2, wifi only.

My blobs are saved on Cydia and Tiny Umbrella. I just tried ISHSIT to save the blobs to the ipad and mail them to myself as extra back up but it gave a message saying it couldn't retrieve any blobs. Weird. So, I know I need to make sure I can get to them with TU before attempting a thing.

What I need to know is, before I update the firmware, do I first need to restore the ipad or can I just plug into itunes and it will do everything for me?

I think that's all I need to know.

Thanks in advance.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can rest easy if Cydia has your blobs, but if you really want them downloaded to your PC, use our tutorial here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...01-how-save-your-shsh-blobs-tinyumbrella.html

Since you are already JB, your best course of action is as follows (if you want to try IOS5)...

1) Sync with iTunes - That will do a complete backup.
2) Download IOS5 firmware for your device from here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html
3) Get your iPad into DFU mode - See here for help - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/27489-dfu-mode-dummies.html
4) Open iTunes and shift-restore (windows) / option-restore (osx) and point to the firmware you just downloaded in step 2.
5) When the restore is complete, choose to restore from a backup in iTunes... Let the restore complete and then iTunes will resync all your stuff on automatically after a reboot. Just make sure you don't unplug the iPad until iTunes has finished all its business.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
H

hazi1610

f4780y said:
You can rest easy if Cydia has your blobs, but if you really want them downloaded to your PC, use our tutorial here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreaking-hacking-tutorials-how-guides/42301-how-save-your-shsh-blobs-tinyumbrella.html

Yes, have used TU before, just wanted that extra back up, call me paranoid. Lol.

It's whether I need to restore the ipad prior to doing the update that I am a bit u sure of so if anybody can confirm what I need to do, it will be very much appreciated.

I see that alot of people are having trouble with updating, am assuming that is because the servers are jam packed right now. Will wait it out a little while before I attempt it. Lol.

OP
H

hazi1610

hazi1610 said:
Yes, have used TU before, just wanted that extra back up, call me paranoid. Lol.

It's whether I need to restore the ipad prior to doing the update that I was unsure of so if anybody can confirm what I need to do, it will be very much appreciated.

I see that alot of people are having trouble with updating, am assuming that is because the servers are jam packed right now. Will wait it out a little while before I attempt it. Lol.

Oops, tried to edit my post, went wrong. Lol. Not with it tonight.

From Alison. Sent from my iPad using iPF

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

It's whether I need to restore the ipad prior to doing the update that I am a bit u sure of so if anybody can confirm what I need to do, it will be very much appreciated.

Was my comprehensive list of instructions not good enough? ;)

OP
H

hazi1610

SweetPoison said:
Hazi! I moved you to the Hacking section. .

Oops, sorry, I really am all over the place tonight. Thanks for moving.

From Alison. Sent from my iPad using iPF

LawPad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Was my comprehensive list of instructions not good enough?
Excellent, thank you. Although I love my current set-up, waiting for iOS 5 jailbreak is like a 5 year-old kids on Christmas morning about to piss his pants from excitement.

OP
H

hazi1610

f4780y said:
Was my comprehensive list of instructions not good enough? ;)

Yes, it was more than good enough, I misread it and typed my reply, then realised and tried to edit my reply but it didn't work. Was doped up on my meds when I typed it. Lol.

So, a belated thank you for your instructons.

From Alison, sent from my iPad2 using IPF

penanot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LawPad2 said:
Excellent, thank you. Although I love my current set-up, waiting for iOS 5 jailbreak is like a 5 year-old kids on Christmas morning about to piss his pants from excitement.

Hahahahaha... That's a good one...

RudyL90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Upgraded to iOS 5.
I will see how long it takes till I will miss the jailbreak. If it takes too long for the iOS 5 jailbreak te be released, I'll just drop back to 4.3.3. :)

Last edited:

guest0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RudyL90 said:
Upgraded to iOS 5.
I will see how long it takes till I will miss the jailbreak. If it takes too long for the iOS 5 jailbreak te be released, I'll just drop back to 4.3.3. :)

I just updated last night, already missing the customisation options. Lol. Still, going to. Stick with it as long as I possibly can as I do like some of the new features, like the messaging app, drop down menu, the no more pop up window on notifications etc.

From Alison, Sent from my iPad using iPF

RudyL90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hazi said:
I just updated last night, already missing the customisation options. Lol. Still, going to. Stick with it as long as I possibly can as I do like some of the new features, like the messaging app, drop down menu, the no more pop up window on notifications etc.

From Alison, Sent from my iPad using iPF

I don't like it enough... Still too much limitation, for instance; the calendar in notifications only shows the upcoming events of the present day, none of the coming days. I don't like that, I miss LockInfo... :(

But I'll stick with it too...

Most reactions

Latest posts