What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking of Jailbreaking Newer iPad - Have Questions

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great ! And THANKS for the tip as I've been worry about the SSL vulnerability. I'm aware about the need for 7.0.6 due to that reason. So, your SSLPatch tweak would take care of that issue.:thumbs:
But WAIT, not last tip yet :eek:. I turned off and haven't turn the Air on yet as I've been searching here and on the net about preventing the automatic OTA update. There were many conflicting talks, i.e :
. The Jailbreak already inserted some tweak to prevent automatic OTA update (?)
. Apple always pushes the OTA update when an iPad is being charged (?). So one needs to fill up the iPad with stuff and/or disable wifi during charging (?).
. There is no way to prevent OTA update, hence we may have to live with the nagging of notification (?)
. As for iTunes, we must set it for not auto sync (?)
. I'm aware that 'Reset All Settings' will break the jailbreak. But 'Reset Network Settings' would be fine to use, would it not ?
In the meantime, I look into ResetAllKiller & No Software Update as Willerz2 mentioned earlier.
Thanks again,

You don't have to worry about OTA updates as the evasi0n jail break tool is like a bug spray in that regards - it kills 'em dead. :) So, they won't show and you'll never "accidentally" tap the button. So, connect away and carry on; you're good to go.

You can set iTunes to not automatically sync when you connect (although syncing doesn't do anything with the iOS version). There are two things you can do:

(1) In iTunes, go to Edit > Preferences > Devices and ensure the line "prevent [iDevices]from syncing automatically" is checked. Then, to add an extra bit so your new apps don't automatically sync over to the iPad,

(2) With the iPad connected, go to the Apps tab (across the top). At the bottom of the Apps list is a small box that reads "Automatically install new apps." In this one, make sure there is NO check mark.

Again, syncing does not affect the iOS version loaded. I just like to turn everything off because I like to be the one to decide when to sync, not iTunes. :)

As for the "Reset" section in the General tab of your Settings app - the one I know for sure that will mess up a jailbroken iPad is Erase All Content and Settings. Tapping that one will make the iPad immediately require a restore. So, never tap it.

The "reset Network Settings One" is safe to use - I've used it myself. The others - I've never used and never had occasion to look them up and see how safe they are.

To be perfectly honest with you, as a jailbroken iDevice owner, I avoid that Reset tab like the plague and make it a point to forget about it. Makes me too nervous in there... :D

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

zyree

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much for this I really appreciate it. I have recentley subscribe to [another iPad-related web site] and found them most informative.:thumbs: [Moderator edit: Removed link to iPad-related web site. Please read our rules. Thanks.]
sorry :eek:

zyree

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I reset my ipad air back to factory settings will it re-set the software upadate also back to 7.06 as it was when I bought it?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I reset my ipad air back to factory settings will it re-set the software upadate also back to 7.06 as it was when I bought it?

If you want to get as close to factory, you either use SemiRestore or ILEX RAT. Using Setting's Reset features that affects the core filesystem will net you a one-way-no-return trip to 7.1

Most reactions

Latest posts