What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking of Jailbreaking Newer iPad - Have Questions

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks willerz2, for the explanation.
I've been planning to get an iPad 4 or Air with iOS 7.0.6 or earlier then figuring a method to save the blobs and jailbreaking. But it seemed that it is impossible at the moment.
Too bad.
Cheers,

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks willerz2, for the explanation.
I've been planning to get an iPad 4 or Air with iOS 7.0.6 or earlier then figuring a method to save the blobs and jailbreaking. But it seemed that it is impossible at the moment.
Too bad.
Cheers,

If you move now to buy an iPad (and maybe even look at a place where there is less sales/turnover), you might find one that comes with iOS 7.0.x on it.

No guarantees you'd find one (and no guarentees a factory-installed iOS can be jail broken), but could be worth a shot.

You don't need SHSH blobs to run the jail break for iOS 7.0.x. And, The jailbreak works for most devices that are currently running iOS 7.0.x.

The release of iOS 7.1 and Apple closing the signing window does not affect those iPads that are not upgraded.

Marilyn

OP
mydave

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you, Marilyn and willerz2.:thumbs:

The info that you two, and others in this forum, provided are top notch. I must admit that at times, due to overwhelming data, it could be confusing :confused:. My fault.

I do, however, need to know something else but was always afraid to ask.:D

. Some respectable member mentioned (forgot where the thread/post was) that A7 is . . . (not remember the exact wording, but something like not staying good with jailbreak) . . . I wonder if that was his personal opinion, or it is the jailbreak tool's problem, or something else which was not said. I must admit, again, that not knowing the truth, I am leaning toward iPad 4 to be on the safe side. However, if this is not true, and A7 is as good as A6 with jailbreak, then iPad Air would be the one to pursue.

. Secondly, now that I understand that jailbreak works for most devices that are currently running iOS 7.0.x and earlier. Am I still able to upgrade from earlier version to 7.0.6 then jailbreak ? Is there any precaution I should take to avoid accidentally getting 7.1 during the jailbreak process ?

. Thirdly, could an iPad replace a cell phone? I've not done much research on this topic. But the point that I'm trying to get to, is how the jailbreak process affects cellular ? Would it work to all providers ? Would a provider care (refuse to activate) ?

Hah ! sorry willerz2, if this post should not be in your thread. I'd be happy to delete it.

Thanks you all,

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you, Marilyn and willerz2.:thumbs:

The info that you two, and others in this forum, provided are top notch. I must admit that at times, due to overwhelming data, it could be confusing :confused:. My fault.

I do, however, need to know something else but was always afraid to ask.:D

. Some respectable member mentioned (forgot where the thread/post was) that A7 is . . . (not remember the exact wording, but something like not staying good with jailbreak) . . . I wonder if that was his personal opinion, or it is the jailbreak tool's problem, or something else which was not said. I must admit, again, that not knowing the truth, I am leaning toward iPad 4 to be on the safe side. However, if this is not true, and A7 is as good as A6 with jailbreak, then iPad Air would be the one to pursue.

. Secondly, now that I understand that jailbreak works for most devices that are currently running iOS 7.0.x and earlier. Am I still able to upgrade from earlier version to 7.0.6 then jailbreak ? Is there any precaution I should take to avoid accidentally getting 7.1 during the jailbreak process ?

. Thirdly, could an iPad replace a cell phone? I've not done much research on this topic. But the point that I'm trying to get to, is how the jailbreak process affects cellular ? Would it work to all providers ? Would a provider care (refuse to activate) ?

Hah ! sorry willerz2, if this post should not be in your thread. I'd be happy to delete it.

Thanks you all,

The A7 is the first 64-bit architecture chipset on the Apple line, and offers the M7 motion co-processor as well. Because they're both relatively new, not many apps/tweaks are able to take advantage of it, but that's been proven wrong on a daily basis as developers work on taking advantage of the 64-bit processor as well as the M7 co-processor.

It's not possible to selectively restore to 7.0.6 as the latest is iOS 7.1. Even on the iPhone 4, it's not possible publicly speaking because none of the utilities have been developed to stitch iOS 7.X IPSWs with blobs. There's no real way to avoid the 7.1 accidental restoration. The only ways to somewhat divert away from it is to install ResetAllKiller so you don't accidentally tap on them and break your jailbreak, and to edit your device's identifier to 7.1 (not sure if this still works on iOS 7) so that iTunes and your OTA identifier believes that you're already on the latest iOS so that you won't be prompted to upgrade to 7.1, so you won't accidentally upgrade. You can also install No Software Update, but if you ever Respring or Reboot, your device "forgets" that it's installed until you open up Settings, and go to Software Update and have No Software Update re-apply itself (don't need to re-install).

Is it possible? Yes it's possible, but it only really works on a cellular iPad because you'd want to have a constant data connection so that you don't miss any important calls/texts. You'd need something like Google Voice, Skype, or another VoIP app. Just note that it's not 100% reliable, as even on an iPhone, Google Voice's calling feature is not as reliable as the stock phone app. So is it possible to use your iPad as a phone? Sure. Is it a practical replacement? Probably not because of lack of consistency.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
@mydave: I've gone ahead and started a new thread for you. We are wandering pretty far off the original topic of the thread you were in. Rather than worry about that - we can talk about your concerns here all day long. :) Hope that works for you...

As a bit of a reassurance, I have a jailbroken iPad Air and it's working fine. I don't have as many tweaks on it as I do on my iPhone 5, but still, there's quite a few on it (have about 35 or so tweaks). Yes, there are some tweaks that don't work on it because it's got the 64-bit chip on it. But, actually, more tweaks don't work on it because they're not built for the iPad as a category.

Given that it's been a few months, most tweaks have been updated to work on the newer devices. So, the main reason why I don't have some tweaks is because they just don't work on an iPad, period.

So, I am quite pleased with the performance of the Air. And, if that's your only reason for getting the iPad 4 versus the Air, I'd say go for the iPad Air. In my prejudicial opinion, the iPad Air is da bomb and is even better jail broken! :)

I'm with willerz2 - I wouldn't try to rely on the iPad as a telephonic device. They are not built for it and would be less reliable than a phone. You could always get a "dumb" phone for just calls and SMS texts and then use the iPad for everything else...

And, last, no, you can't selectively upgrade the iPad you buy - unless it's to iOS 7.1. You'll have to find one with iOS 7.0 to 7.0.4 on it.

Oh, and I'd be in the wrong if I didn't mention this: some people have reported issues with jail breaking a device with the factory-installed iOS (even if it is on 7.0 to 7.0.6). Not every one has a problem and many have success jail breaking. You just need to know that if you DO find a device that's not updated - there still is a chance the jail break won't work. Fair disclosure. :)

But, you'll have to decide soon as the stock of "older" iOS devices gets more depleted every day. In fact, I would not recommend an Apple store as I think they'd have the most turnover and thus the highest chances of having iOS 7.1 devices for sale.

Hope some of this helps.

Marilyn

OP
mydave

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Amen !
Thanks to both of you, I do see a clear path now. Your knowledge & effort to help are at the highest level.
Best,

P.S. Marilyn, thanks for the separation. It is the right thing to maintain the integrity of willerz2's topic thread.

zyree

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys
have been following your Thread and was wondering I have Ipad Air and have just updated it to version ios 7.1 can it be jailbroken

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys have been following your Thread and was wondering I have Ipad Air and have just updated it to version ios 7.1 can it be jailbroken
I'm afraid not. There is no jailbreak for iOS 7.1. You may have to wait until iOS 8 is jailbroken, sometime after it's release this September.

zyree

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm afraid not. There is no jailbreak for iOS 7.1. You may have to wait until iOS 8 is jailbroken, sometime after it's release this September.

Oh right only I was reading on spiritjb that there was?
Thank you

Last edited:

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The SpiritJB website you're looking for is not a credible site as I'm assuming it's not exactly www.spiritjb.com, which is down, and only houses the SpiritJB utility, and is not a news source/blog. Any website with JB, Jailbreak, iOS, iso, unlock, evasion, evasi0n+extras (not evasi0n.com exactly), evaders, winocm, posixspwn (not p0sixspwn.com exactly, untethered, etc, on it, are all fakes that prey on the unknowing. There is a 7.1 tethered jailbreak, which is strictly for the iPhone 4 because of its bootrom exploit, which is not applicable on any devices newer than the 4S and iPad 2.

Credible sources include iPhone/iPad/Apple Forums, RedmondPie, the developers' actual Twitter accounts (not the mockups/posers), iPhoneHacks, and a very small handful of other sites. Outside of these sources, take the information you've seen as a grain of salt until it's verified explicitly by another source.

Last edited:
OP
mydave

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is very true that there is not many Apple support websites that are credible and helpful as this one. Perhaps there is none.
And perhaps there will be no more jailbreak from 7.1 and later. Apple did it with AppleTV3 and iOS7.1. How likely that a handful of skilled developers could get past the talents of a giant Corporation ? I hope that I am wrong on this assessment though.
I do think that the ability to jailbreak helps the sales. Chances are, the newer iPads won't be as hot potatoes. See the surge of AppleTV2 and the not so popular of AppleTV3. Last week I've seen the brand new 64GB + cellular and the 128GB wifi iPad4, iOS6, were available at $500 shipped. They are now >$600 from same sellers.
The good thing for potential owners is the quality of iOS and Ipads. They just work. Some, however, may just walk away.

zyree

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The SpiritJB website you're looking for is not a credible site as I'm assuming it's not exactly www.spiritjb.com, which is down, and only houses the SpiritJB utility, and is not a news source/blog. Any website with JB, Jailbreak, iOS, iso, unlock, evasion, evasi0n+extras (not evasi0n.com exactly), evaders, winocm, posixspwn (not p0sixspwn.com exactly, untethered, etc, on it, are all fakes that prey on the unknowing. There is a 7.1 tethered jailbreak, which is strictly for the iPhone 4 because of its bootrom exploit, which is not applicable on any devices newer than the 4S and iPad 2.

Credible sources include iPhone/iPad/Apple Forums, RedmondPie, the developers' actual Twitter accounts (not the mockups/posers), iPhoneHacks, and a very small handful of other sites. Outside of these sources, take the information you've seen as a grain of salt until it's verified explicitly by another source.

Thank you so much for this I really appreciate it.
I have recentley subscribe to [another iPad-related web site] and found them most informative.:thumbs:

[Moderator edit: Removed link to iPad-related web site. Please read our rules. Thanks.]

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
mydave

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok Ladies & Gents,

Short version:
The Evasi0n7-win-1.0.8 does work on a new iPad Air 7.0.4 as of today 4/3/14. It took all but about 3 minutes. Cydia installed and tested successfully. Alleluia :thumbs:

Longer version:
. Got an 32GB Air from Target. Why Target ? It probably has the least turn-over on things like iPad, which would more likely to have non 7.1 version.
. I started Evasi0n7 right after some initial setup (wifi, language, etc . . . ) and checking for the installed iOS.
. Evasi0n7 did not see the iPad on the first laptop (the jailbreak button remained gray), although Win Explorer recognized it fine. The laptop does has iTunes. So, I am not sure what was the problem. I tried on another computer and it worked.
Thanks greatly for all the tips from Marilyn & willerz2,

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok Ladies & Gents,

Short version:
The Evasi0n7-win-1.0.8 does work on a new iPad Air 7.0.4 as of today 4/3/14. It took all but about 3 minutes. Cydia installed and tested successfully. Alleluia :thumbs:

Longer version:
. Got an 32GB Air from Target. Why Target ? It probably has the least turn-over on things like iPad, which would more likely to have non 7.1 version.
. I started Evasi0n7 right after some initial setup (wifi, language, etc . . . ) and checking for the installed iOS.
. Evasi0n7 did not see the iPad on the first laptop (the jailbreak button remained gray), although Win Explorer recognized it fine. The laptop does has iTunes. So, I am not sure what was the problem. I tried on another computer and it worked.
Thanks greatly for all the tips from Marilyn & willerz2,

Hurray!!

Now, here's one last tip for you: I strongly recommend you install the Cydia tweak "SSLPatch." It fixes the SSL vulnerability fixed in iOS 7.0.6 and higher. As you can't upgrade to iOS 7.0.6 - this is the next best thing. Read this for more information on the security flaw: http://www.zdnet.com/major-apple-security-flaw-patch-issued-users-open-to-mitm-attacks-7000026624/

Once you install the SSLPatch tweak, you'll be fine. A caution: As it's a Mobile Substrate tweak, it won't work if the iPad is in Safe Mode. But - as long as you don't surf the web or access web-accessing apps while in Safe Mode, you'll be fine.

Congrats again and enjoy that new (and newly jail broken) iPad.

Marilyn

OP
mydave

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hurray!!

Now, here's one last tip for you: I strongly recommend you install the Cydia tweak "SSLPatch." It fixes the SSL vulnerability fixed in iOS 7.0.6 and higher. As you can't upgrade to iOS 7.0.6 - this is the next best thing. Read this for more information on the security flaw: Major Apple security flaw: Patch issued, users open to MITM attacks | ZDNet

Once you install the SSLPatch tweak, you'll be fine. A caution: As it's a Mobile Substrate tweak, it won't work if the iPad is in Safe Mode. But - as long as you don't surf the web or access web-accessing apps while in Safe Mode, you'll be fine.

Congrats again and enjoy that new (and newly jail broken) iPad.

Marilyn
Great ! And THANKS for the tip as I've been worry about the SSL vulnerability. I'm aware about the need for 7.0.6 due to that reason. So, your SSLPatch tweak would take care of that issue.:thumbs:
But WAIT, not last tip yet :eek:. I turned off and haven't turn the Air on yet as I've been searching here and on the net about preventing the automatic OTA update. There were many conflicting talks, i.e :
. The Jailbreak already inserted some tweak to prevent automatic OTA update (?)
. Apple always pushes the OTA update when an iPad is being charged (?). So one needs to fill up the iPad with stuff and/or disable wifi during charging (?).
. There is no way to prevent OTA update, hence we may have to live with the nagging of notification (?)
. As for iTunes, we must set it for not auto sync (?)
. I'm aware that 'Reset All Settings' will break the jailbreak. But 'Reset Network Settings' would be fine to use, would it not ?
In the meantime, I look into ResetAllKiller & No Software Update as Willerz2 mentioned earlier.
Thanks again,

Most reactions

Latest posts