What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I still jailbreak my Ipad 3.2.1?

Havokk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Simple question from someone who has very little experience.

I have an Ipad 3G 3.2.1. I'd like to jailbreak it now, but I've read that since Apple has released the 3.2.2 I can no longer save my shsh blobs, therefore making it unwise for me to jailbreak.

Is this the case? Or can I still back-up my shsh blobs using Firmware Umbrella then go to jailbreakme.com and jailbreak this thing?

Any help and explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Holoshed

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I have an Ipad 3G 3.2.1. I'd like to jailbreak it now, but I've read that since Apple has released the 3.2.2 I can no longer save my shsh blobs, therefore making it unwise for me to jailbreak.

Is this the case? Or can I still back-up my shsh blobs using Firmware Umbrella then go to jailbreakme.com and jailbreak this thing?

The thing is, jailbreaking won't give you back the shsh files needed to get 3.2.1 back anyhow so it makes no difference. The thing it won't do is hurt you any more unless you start doing some tweaking that would mess it up like editing configs etc.

After you jb let cydia " make my life easier" so it auto gets your shsh files for all future ios releases.

Just go to the site you posted above and let it jailbreak. Let iTunes back you up first and also if I understand you can reset the iPad from settings if you need, even if jail broken, that way you don't have to update ios.

I have a brand new iPad I type this on and it was 3.2.1 and I jail broke it in the car via the site lol.

OP
H

Havokk

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The thing is, jailbreaking won't give you back the shsh files needed to get 3.2.1 back anyhow so it makes no difference. The thing it won't do is hurt you any more unless you start doing some tweaking that would mess it up like editing configs etc.

After you jb let cydia " make my life easier" so it auto gets your shsh files for all future ios releases.

Just go to the site you posted above and let it jailbreak. Let iTunes back you up first and also if I understand you can reset the iPad from settings if you need, even if jail broken, that way you don't have to update ios.

I have a brand new iPad I type this on and it was 3.2.1 and I jail broke it in the car via the site lol.

Thanks for the reply. I thought I read, however, that you can no longer backup 3.2.1 shsh blobs since Apple has stopped signing for the 3.2.1. I was under the impression this meant that I couldn't use the "make my life easier" option with Cydia anymore.

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't think apple has anything to do with those backups.

Holoshed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The thing is, you will not be able to backup the 3.2.1 shsh's anymore but you will however backup the current (3.2.2) shsh and anything going forward since that is how it works with cydia.

It does you the favor of automatically getting the shsh signing files from apple automatically for any future release even if you have not loaded it on your device. Once the cydia server has your devices ID, he can request those files from apple on your behalf because its a simple packet sent to apple. In short apple thinks he is you, asking for the files needed to "reload" your device.

Its a man in the middle approach.

So to be clear, dont mess up your current 3.2.1 because you will not get it back since you only will have 3.2.2 on file on cydia's server.

That does NOT howerver stop you from jailbreaking your CURRENT 3.2.1 since you are already on it. It works like this, once jailbroken always jailbroken. Just wait for the iphone dev team (you can google the addy) to tell you its safe to load a specific firmware on your device.

You do however need to be careful doing something (while jailbroken) that can cause an issue now like install openssh as last I read it can mess up certain services (that can be restarted with a command) like location services. But a simple jailbreak, install some apps on cydia etc wont mess you up.

Jimboo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just jailbreak it. You say it is unwise if you jailbreak without your shsh blobs backed up but if you are not satisfied with your jailbreak, or if you funk things up, you fan just restore to 3.2.2? If your not jailbreaking then there is no point in staying on 3.2.1 firmware.

Most reactions

Latest posts