What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The ultimate guide to solving battery drain

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"I worked on the Genius Bar for almost two years, and the most difficult issue to solve was short battery life. It was extremely difficult to pinpoint the exact reason why someone's battery was draining.

I made it my mission to discover the specific reasons for iOS battery drainage. This article is a product of my years of research and anecdotal evidence I gathered in the hundreds of Genius Bar appointments I took during my time as a Genius and iOS technician, as well as testing on my personal devices and the devices of my friends.
"

Source: overthought.org

OP
A

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh wow. Thanks for this. Now I can make my iPad lasts even longer, beyond 15 hours :)

You're welcome. Yeah, battery drain is a hot topic, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to post an entry from a former genius bar employee. It's an interesting read.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is so relevant to my iPad I can't THANK YOU enough for all of the time you took to collect and share your knowledge! Thank you SO MUCH! I'm going through the steps now! How wonderful to have it put in such an easy manner to follow and understand! Definitely a standing OVATION for this one ardchoille!!!
:);):cool::p:D:rolleyes:o_O

Victoria022

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"I worked on the Genius Bar for almost two years, and the most difficult issue to solve was short battery life. It was extremely difficult to pinpoint the exact reason why someone's battery was draining.

I made it my mission to discover the specific reasons for iOS battery drainage. This article is a product of my years of research and anecdotal evidence I gathered in the hundreds of Genius Bar appointments I took during my time as a Genius and iOS technician, as well as testing on my personal devices and the devices of my friends.
"

HI Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I have got iPhones, Ipad and Ipod - and this article is truly helpful for me.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
UH- OHHHHH !
I guess I'm in trouble because even though I tried all of your steps and added some of my own.....I can put it in sleep mode, wait 5 mins and both show the exact same time for each time I tried.
Any suggestions? Anything at all?
I am not able to go anywhere, such as a Genius Bar.i know you put in everything you know....do I need a battery replacement?
I'd rather buy a new iPad but can't afford that! Waaaa!
Where would I be able to get the battery changed? Th store I bought it from?
Sorry to be a pest after all the work you're don already!

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score

"

Are you still around ? Or out doing genius things? Just wondered why if both numbers are the same it is such GRAVE news! I would appreciate help from anyone, anywhere! [emoji39][emoji171][emoji41][emoji172][emoji7]
Thanks, Diane.

:) Peace begins with a smile :)
- Mother Teresa.
iPad 2

silverado8405

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When both usage and standby numbers are the same value that means your ipad isn't "sleeping" and something is constantly running in the background. Hence why you want there to be a difference between the two when you put it down for five minutes.

Now if there's a difference between the two numbers when you put it down but when you picked it up after 5 minutes and they are the same value as when you put it down I'd have to question if you put it to sleep or shut it off because that would be strange.

richardstephens

iPF Noob
Reaction score

"

Thanks for this. Opened my neurotic eyes!! Now I can sleep at night (while my iPad charges!!)

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Are you saying that if I close all apps, even put it on airplane mode, then put it to sleep by touching the power button long enough for the screen to go black that is the proper way to put it to sleep?
To power down , do the same thing, only power right off?
If did those things and it was always plugged into power
from before the steps and after - assuming I was doing the sleep and power off steps correctly, they would be the same numbers. If on the other hand it wasn't plugged into the power source the numbers would be different?
Am I correct here? Thanks, bunches! Guru Genius
squib.

Most reactions

Latest posts